/////ZEITZ Museum Of Contemporary Art Africa
ZEITZ Museum Of Contemporary Art Africa2017-09-23T16:22:22+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics GPS Great Photo Spots ZEITZ Museum Of Contemporary Art Africa

ZEITZ Museum Of Contemporary Art Africa

• Author
    Participant

ZEITZ Museum Of Contemporary Art Africa
    Silo Complex, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town

We attended the grand opening on this new museum on Friday, 22nd of September. The developers have done a really good job of converting the old waterfront grain silos into a six storey art gallery with a sprawling business and recreational district.

What is particularly interesting for “us” is that approximately a third of the gallery is devoted to photographic art. Not your usual collection of landscapes and wildlife, but rather some dramatic, unusual and thought-provoking studio work. Photographers are constantly battling to be recognised as artists and this gallery showcases the opportunities that are available to express oneself through medium of captured light.

An added bonus is the fact that the building itself is extremely photogenic, with the course concrete original structure and its accompanying metalwork juxtaposed with floor to ceiling windows and clean, sharp gallery rooms. The entire silo structure has been hollowed out to provide uninterrupted views from the ground floor to the roof, and vice versa.

As an added, added bonus the sixth story open roof provides previously unseen views of Cape Town, the Waterfront and Table Mountain across the top of the city.

As an added, added, added bonus South African citizens are offered free entry every Wednesday from 10h00 – 13h00. Children enjoy free entry on any day of the week.

The complex is wheelchair accessible….. 🙂

• elsahoffmann

now if only I can get my *ss there…

• SimonDP

Thank you!!

• elsahoffmann

@simondp 297829 wrote:

Thank you!!

On the to-do list??

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Thanks Hilton, sounds interesting!

• SimonDP

@elsahoffmann 297830 wrote:

On the to-do list??

I do believe so yes…

• elsahoffmann

@simondp 297833 wrote:

I do believe so yes…

klink reg vir my – ek wil beslis gaan kyk

• Leo Theron
    Participant

@elsahoffmann 297834 wrote:

klink reg vir my – ek wil beslis gaan kyk

Popped into Zeitz last week….

As Hilton said – Wednesday is free for South Africans. For the over 60’s there is another bargain: for R5 more than an normal entry ticket, i.e. R185 instead of R180, you get a ticket valid for a year – yes, entrance every day for a year!

Zeitz worth a visit? For sure… Fine art, photographs, installations – all mind boggling!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx