/////What lens best for Canon 7D to shoot surfing?
What lens best for Canon 7D to shoot surfing?2011-03-07T07:51:32+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras What lens best for Canon 7D to shoot surfing?

What lens best for Canon 7D to shoot surfing?

  • Author
    Posts
  • Millerslocal
    Participant
    Post count: 1

    Planning to upgrade to a Canon 7D and would like to know what lens is best to shoot surf photography? I will be shooting both stills and video – so would prefer a lens that can cope with both aspects well.

    Also, what lens would you recommend as an every day walk-around, for general shooting, lifestyle shots etc.

    Would only like to have to invest in 2 new lenses if possible. Currently have the kit lens 20-80mm and 75-300mm (4-5.6). Do know I need far better glass….just don’t know what!

    Thanks.

  • Andrew Aveley
    Participant
    Post count: 119

    As Luc , Stan or Dirk will tell ya not an easy question to answer. IMHO , 100/400 with 7D good value – Optimal 500 or 600 – Walk around lens 24-105 F4 – Hope that helps

  • Luc Hosten
    Participant
    Post count: 975

    “As Andrew , Stan or Dirk will tell ya not an easy question to answer. IMHO , 100/400 with 7D good value – Optimal 500 or 600 – Walk around lens 24-105 F4 – Hope that helps.”
    Kerry it is complicated and everyone has their own recipie. Stan for example has a 400 5.6 which is sharp and delivers good quality images but might be short when the break is a bit far out. The 100-400 is versatile but the quality is probably not equal to the prime. The 600 has the reach and is flippin heavy while the 500 has reach (little less) but also weighs a little less. Sigma also produce good 3rd party lenses although some of us have been frightened away over the years. The best way is to leave the water a little earlier and come talk to us and try the equipment on the beach.
  • Anonymous
    Participant
    Post count: 2156

    @luc Hosten 232697 wrote:

    “As Andrew , Stan or Dirk will tell ya not an easy question to answer. IMHO , 100/400 with 7D good value – Optimal 500 or 600 – Walk around lens 24-105 F4 – Hope that helps.”
    Kerry it is complicated and everyone has their own recipie. Stan for example has a 400 5.6 which is sharp and delivers good quality images but might be short when the break is a bit far out. The 100-400 is versatile but the quality is probably not equal to the prime. The 600 has the reach and is flippin heavy while the 500 has reach (little less) but also weighs a little less. Sigma also produce good 3rd party lenses although some of us have been frightened away over the years. The best way is to leave the water a little earlier and come talk to us and try the equipment on the beach.

    Where/when do you guys tend to shoot? I’d love to try something new even if I’ve only got the 300 f/2.8 and a set of TCs. 🙂

    That reminds me, Varsity Cup rugby tonight, better gather my gear. 😮

  • NightOwl – Chris Fourie
    Participant
    Post count: 387

    The 300L f/2.8 is a good option. Since you can combine it with 1.4X and 2X depending on where the surf breaks. This way you’ll have 300 on the short and 600 on the long.
    As a walk around lens, the 24-70L f/2.8 is great.

  • Luc Hosten
    Participant
    Post count: 975

    PE is suffering from a wave shortage (a perennial problem). The most convenient place is Pipe where there is always someone in the water (even if the wave does not warrant it), Avalanche near Bird Rock is great when it is working, Humewood – if it works provides a good angle, Fence (King’s Beach) is consistent but I aways feel as though I am going to get mugged. The Reserve and Wild Side all have their places and days and if you have petrol to spare J Bay and Cape St Francis are probably the best in SA. Had forgotten about the Varsity Cup.

  • Stanberg
    Participant
    Post count: 889

    Kerry had a look at the 70 – 200 yesterday as I didnt have the 400 with me.
    For a general walkabout lens I would recommend the 24-105 which is slightly lighter than the 24-70 but there is a whole discussion already on that topic here
    For surfing, I know what you really need but there are budget constraints!!…..I shot last years Billabong on a 400 + 1.4 converter(on a 1D camera) and still found that I had to crop too much to get impact shots.
    I know that Kerry also wants to do a lot of videoing so she is looking at some advice from the video specialists…….ie does one need a 2.8 lens or is the 100-400 with a higher fstop OK??
    What are the options in third party lenses??

  • Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant
    Post count: 6513

    @stan Blumberg 232706 wrote:

    I know that Kerry also wants to do a lot of videoing so she is looking at some advice from the video specialists…….ie does one need a 2.8 lens or is the 100-400 with a higher fstop OK??

    The higher f/stop is ok, as you tend to shoot at about 1/30th or 1/60th of a second (very general terms) what is nice on those distances is a stabiliser to help you with follow focussing… I do find that the f/2.8 is nice to isolate the subject a bit more, as the movement around the subject tends to distract a bit more…

  • Anonymous
    Participant
    Post count: 2156

    @luc Hosten 232703 wrote:

    PE is suffering from a wave shortage (a perennial problem). The most convenient place is Pipe where there is always someone in the water (even if the wave does not warrant it), Avalanche near Bird Rock is great when it is working, Humewood – if it works provides a good angle, Fence (King’s Beach) is consistent but I aways feel as though I am going to get mugged. The Reserve and Wild Side all have their places and days and if you have petrol to spare J Bay and Cape St Francis are probably the best in SA. Had forgotten about the Varsity Cup.

    Thanks for that. With the cricket over and done with in these parts i’m looking for something to occupy my time. 🙂

    Btw, we’ve got two Varsity Cup matches at NMMU this month. The next is on the 21st if you can’t make tonights. With my Fridays now free from cricket I should finally be able to start getting to the kings as well. 🙂

  • Luc Hosten
    Participant
    Post count: 975

    Interesting that there is no comment made about the 7D – obviously a good choice. Warren if you need to see if there are waves there is a good forecast on http://www.millerslocal.co.za/forecasts.html. The guys used to surf in your area near Maitlands and at Beachview but the banks have moved etc etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx

Loading...