Telephoto lens for hobby2010-03-06T18:26:23+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Telephoto lens for hobby

Telephoto lens for hobby

• Author
    Participant

Hi. I am getting a telephoto lens (about 75-300) and was wondering if anyone could tell me which lens would be the best for my Canon EOS 1000D

Maximum price R3000.00

Thanks

• michaeldenysschen
    Participant

Hhhhmmmmm…I’ll tell you what I had and what I do have know. I had the Sigma 70-300 Non APO version. I was not happy with it at all….between 70-200mm the images were OK but not great. From 200-300 they were unusable. If you can get the APO version I guess that is a good bet. If you can wait a while and save a bit more get the 70-200 F4 L. Absolutely awesome lens and you can’t go wrong with that buy.

Hope it helps.

• James Mitchell
    Participant

Well, first off, welcome to ODP!

Second – the Canon EF 75-300mm f 4.0 – 5.6 III here is one of Canon’s worst lenses as far as performance goes.

If I can offer one piece of advice in this regard – save for the EF 70-200 f/4L which will stay with you long after you have upgraded the camera. It is simply in a different leage, and will give you results that you can’t dream about with a 75-300.

I hope you have a great stay here – there is heaps to learn, so read a lot, and most of all, enjoy yourself!

• Keith Newnham
    Participant

Hi Gantstar, I also began with an EF 75-300 F4.0-F5.6 on my old 30d. Initally I thought it was good but then I started to look at images on ODP. Whilst the 75-300 produced OK IQ it often left me wanting something more. I’ve ended up with a second hand 100-400L for now, might be out of your budget (?) but almost every piece of advise on the forum tells me to buy the best you can afford and not to be lured into longer lens at a less expensive price. Haven’t used the 70-200 but lots of good comment on it in this forum. Good luck !

• Texasbelle
    Participant

See if you can do some test shots with various lenses to see what results they produce.
    Consider the tamron 50-250mm lens, results are good and it is nice value for money.
    R3K does not offer much choice but saving up and spending R5K offers choices of much more value new and second hand.

• SimonDP

In your price backet I would only recommend the Sigma 70-300 APO version. Even so, that may have some limitations ito sharpness wide open at max zoom. Then again, I’ve always believed that a “less than excellent” lens on the body is way better than savings having to accumulate in the bank for an expensive lens. You can get about a year or two years photographic experience starting out with the entry level lenses, and you have time to decide if you really want to spend more money on your hobby. Very few learner drivers get to drive a Ferrari on the first time out, usually its something like a 1300 CitiGolf, if you’re lucky. Same with photogrpahic equipment, unless you’ve won the lotto or have a really rich family.

• Tony T
    Participant

Hi Gantster,
    You’ve been getting a lot of good advice and I’d like to throw another lens into the mix. The Canon 55-250 with Image Stab.

First off its a better lens than the 75-300 image quality wise.
    If your budget is R3000 for a zoom, its in there or there abouts.
    Its versatile. 55 allows you a wider angle than the 75 of the 75-300 lens. And if your 1000D came with a ‘kit’ 18-55, you’ve got the whole range from 18 to 250.

I believe its great lens to start out with.

Good luck with your choice.

• justis
    Participant

Please just buy a Canon lens. Dont buy a Sigma 75-300 as I had one and it made noises that would kill a 90 year old grandma. Also was horribly slow on focussing and I used to work in a photostore… Sigma 75-300’s came back a lot!

I agree wholeheartedly with Tony T +1

• SimonDP

Quite funny – I also had a Sigma 70-300 APO, focus was as fast for a lens with no USM/HSM focus motor, never had anything going wrong with it in over 2 years of hard use, then sold it to a friend who used it for more than two years with no issues. Was’nt that loud either, actually more silent than the 135-400 which I ‘upgraded’ to. No L glass for me back then, because of that simple little thing called money.

• Tony T
    Participant

Guys, just so there’s no misunderstanding, in my earlier mail I said;
    “first off its a better lens than the 75-300, image quality wise” – I was referring to the Canon 75-300 not the Sigma 70-300! I don’t have user knowledge of this particular Sigma lens.

• justis
    Participant

Simon no offence, but you had one of these lenses. Just like the toyota recall doesnt actually involve or affect all their cars, so to are these lenses.

I have seen more Sigma’s go in than Canon’s. Just my professional opinion as I needed to inspect,log and then once returned test said lenses.

Sigma’s warranty is great and Tudor will go out of their way to assist their clientelle, but I would stick to Canon lenses for Canon. Non L series even.

• Alvin
    Participant

i.m.h.o.

in the 70(75)-300mm entry level zooms (R3000 budget) —-> either the Sigma 70-300 APO or the Tamron 70-300.

double the budget and you can get a used Canon 70-200 f4 L (which is much better, and you won’t outgrow it soon)

• Sella174
    Participant

For what it is worth, I am quite happy with my Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM lens, but then I don’t do serious nature photography.

• GavinP
    Participant

@alvin 196467 wrote:

i.m.h.o.

in the 70(75)-300mm entry level zooms (R3000 budget) —-> either the Sigma 70-300 APO or the Tamron 70-300.

double the budget and you can get a used Canon 70-200 f4 L (which is much better, and you won’t outgrow it soon)

I had the 70-300mm and upgaded on the classifieds to a 70-200 f4 L. I was so happy with the 70-200 I sold the 70-300 as I never used it again. The quality was amazing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx