Starting with a new HD on Lr CC2017-08-15T14:12:23+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Digital Darkroom Digital Image Processing Starting with a new HD on Lr CC

Starting with a new HD on Lr CC

• Author
    Participant

Hi all

I don’t do this often enough and should know how to….but recently moved to Mac and need some advice

My external HD is full and I need to create a new catalogue with a new HD on my Macbook Pro. I know I need to format the HD for Mac first (will Google that), but please can someone give me the steps from scratch as to opening a new catalogue on my new HD on Lr?

Thanks
    Danielle

• Leo Theron
    Participant

@DanielleC 297532 wrote:

Hi all

I don’t do this often enough and should know how to….but recently moved to Mac and need some advice

My external HD is full and I need to create a new catalogue with a new HD on my Macbook Pro. I know I need to format the HD for Mac first (will Google that), but please can someone give me the steps from scratch as to opening a new catalogue on my new HD on Lr?

Thanks
    Danielle

A good way to learn the underlying structure of any piece of software is to go to the menu – in LR that is the top line where it says:

LIGHTROOM File Edit Develop Photo Settings … etc

and see what the underlying steps are. Anything and everything that that piece of software can do, are in those steps. SO – Spend some time and step through ALL this steps.

NOW – Do that – and you will be able to answer your original question and a few more – very quickly

TIPs:

– If you create the catalogue on the HDD in the same directory where the subdirectory of your images are, your backup of that disk will backup your images as well as your catalogue!

– You would also be able to take that disk to another MAC, plug in your disk, open your catalogue on your HDD and continue working as if nothing has changed. That is really powerful.

– And Smart Previews? You would be able to edit WITHOUT your HDD and only plug it in when your produce your output. Then, however, your Catalogue must be on your working computer.

HTH

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx