Sigma and Canon lens.2012-07-21T18:19:11+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Sigma and Canon lens.

Sigma and Canon lens.

• Author
    Participant

Hey guys I need some help.
    I have a Canon 500D and bought a Sigma 150-500mm a while back.
    I red on dpreview it can be used with Sigma teleconverters and Im thinking of buying a 1.4x TC.
    Will it be a good decision?
    I also found a good secondhand Canon 70-200mm L lens without IS, the reviews says it takes great photos even without IS.
    Will it be a good idea to go for the non IS??

• bomtek

In answer to your first question – no, it won’t be a good decision!
    but the second is yes, depending on what you normally shoot. The non IS is a great lens and affordable by comparison.
    Is it the f2.8 or f4 you’re looking at purchasing?

• walterpike
    Participant

De Wet

Terry doesn’t say why he thinks that it would be a poor decision, so let me try to throw a little more light on it.

First Answer:
    Although the 150-500 is compatible with the tele convertor you lose the ability to AF. I don’t know why but I suspect that its because the maximum aperture is too small which is the other effect of the tele convertor, you lose a stop and on that lens that stop is significant. You need to decide whether AF is important, whether you need the extra focal length and whether the loss of a stop is going to worry you.

The 150-500 is an average lens but hey for not that much you have a good 500mm go price a 600mm F4 to see what I mean – there are always compromises.

Second answer:
    As a tele convertor the Sigma 1.4x is a good buy.

Third answer
    What IS gives you really is an extra 2 stops – (manufacturers say 4 but I work on 2) so its a similar answer to the above, in your use of the lens are you going to need the extra 2 stops. in other words can you live with having to keep the shutter speed relatively high.

Most of the manufacturers seem to make decent 70-200 Nikon, Cannon, Sigma are all great lenses.

Fourth extra bonus answer:

You need to apply a filter to how you read posts. Not saying its the case here, but in general comments that apply the filter – 3rd party lenses are poor, take with a pinch of salt, some are but some best in class.

• bomtek

Ya sorry, to elaborate, you lose auto focus becuase your body, unless its a 1D series, can only focus up to f5.6. What Sigma does is send a signal to the body that says its only 5.6 when its actually f6.3. Adding a 1.4 converter tells the body its now f6.3 and no more AF. You could try taping the 1.4 but at this point there will be so little light entering the body it will spend an eternity trying to focus by which time the shot has long since passed.

You could try manual focus if thats your cup of tea but again you need relatively good light for this to be successfull (depending on what you’re shooting)

Also to remember that the 500 end of the 150-500 isn’t great to start with and by adding a converter you lose more IQ (image quality) which means your shots will be softer than they already were.

I wouldn’t call the Sigma 1.4 a good buy, I’d call it an economical buy.

Can good shots be had with a 150-500 + x1.4?; of course they can, just expect your keeper rate to drop substantially – you will be deleting way more than you keep, which will frustrate you and in turn you probably wont use it anyways; hence my initial response!

Walter is quite correct in that most manufacturers make relatively good 70-200’s, some may be better than others but you get what you pay for.

@walterpike 265544 wrote:

De Wet

Terry doesn’t say why he thinks that it would be a poor decision, so let me try to throw a little more light on it. (haha, no pun intended @f6.3 I’m sure 🙂

First Answer:
    Although the 150-500 is compatible with the tele convertor you lose the ability to AF. I don’t know why but I suspect that its because the maximum aperture is too small which is the other effect of the tele convertor, you lose a stop and on that lens that stop is significant. You need to decide whether AF is important, whether you need the extra focal length and whether the loss of a stop is going to worry you.

The 150-500 is an average lens but hey for not that much you have a good 500mm go price a 600mm F4 to see what I mean – there are always compromises.

Second answer:
    As a tele convertor the Sigma 1.4x is a good buy.

Third answer
    What IS gives you really is an extra 2 stops – (manufacturers say 4 but I work on 2) so its a similar answer to the above, in your use of the lens are you going to need the extra 2 stops. in other words can you live with having to keep the shutter speed relatively high.

Most of the manufacturers seem to make decent 70-200 Nikon, Cannon, Sigma are all great lenses.

Fourth extra bonus answer:

You need to apply a filter to how you read posts. Not saying its the case here, but in general comments that apply the filter – 3rd party lenses are poor, take with a pinch of salt, some are but some best in class.

• De Wet Engelbrecht
    Participant

So I think I will not even waste my money on a teleconverter, I will rather save that money and buy a decent L series. Just to reply on the statement that the sigma 500mm end is not good….Its actually a great lens 150mm to 500mm and I definitely do not regret buying it. Ihad some awesome shots with it. Its a great lens when you cant afford a L series with the same focal range.
    Thanks guys for the help…not wasting my money on teleconverters…..500mm is more than enough!!

• De Wet Engelbrecht
    Participant

Its the f4 Im looking at.I shoot more wildlife so do you think this non IS will work?

• walterpike
    Participant

@De Wet Engelbrecht 265585 wrote:

Its the f4 Im looking at.I shoot more wildlife so do you think this non IS will work?

Yes it will work. you will most likely be supporting it anyway – on a bean bag or something

BTW I didn’t say the 150 – 500 is a bad lens at all – its just not a a 600 f/4 but then you could buy around 7 of the 150 – 500 for the same price as one of those.

• De Wet Engelbrecht
    Participant

I just dont want to buy the non IS and regret it later.Like when I started photography 2 years ago I bought the Sigma 70-300mm because of the price and now I realise its actually not a good lens.

• walterpike
    Participant

@De Wet Engelbrecht 265588 wrote:

I just dont want to buy the non IS and regret it later.Like when I started photography 2 years ago I bought the Sigma 70-300mm because of the price and now I realise its actually not a good lens.

I am a nikon shooter – so no direct experience – but i do know it has a good reputation – given the choice I would go for the IS version – but from what i hear its a good lens.

• De Wet Engelbrecht
    Participant

I will wait a while and see what other people says about the lens.But otherwise I will just save a bit and go for the IS version.(just to be safe)

• michaeldenysschen
    Participant

@De Wet Engelbrecht 265606 wrote:

I will wait a while and see what other people says about the lens.But otherwise I will just save a bit and go for the IS version.(just to be safe)

I have the F4 non IS lens and I love it. Don’t miss the IS a bit…with my eos 60d I can crank up the ISO a bit to get a better shutter speed if need be and still get usable images. I have also read on a few comparisons that some people prefer the non IS to the IS version. Good luck…either one will be a good buy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx