Scratches on front element2019-04-01T19:02:41+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Scratches on front element

Scratches on front element

• Author
    Participant

Good day guys

Im gonna get crucified for asking this here, be gentle pls

I just bought myself a Pentax K7, got it for a good price, I think. Anyway, included in the price was a 500mm Super Cosina manual focus lens. Call it stupidity, but I never checked the glass of the 500mm lens when I purchased it yesterday. Checked it yesterday evening and found soem smallish scratches o nthe front element. Called the seller today, a prominent model photographer in the Moullie Point area, and he said that it would not matter if there was scratches on the front glass.

I was under the impression that any marks on the front glass would show up on the photo. I asked once for my money back, came wit ha story about he has a lens that has a 1″ long scratch and it does not effect his photo’s and bla bla bla. How much of an effect do scratches have on the actual image? Bearing in mind the lens optics are nothing compared to what we currently have available

I only ask once, if you dont want to give back my money then it is on your head.

• ballistic
    Participant

Before anybody asks why I bought a K7 ,all Im gonna say is, that its built like a tank, and way better than anything else on the market today for the price I paid for it. Besides that, there is a certain nostalgia to owning a Pentax. Kinda like being in the war or ……

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Considering that pretty serious dust on the front element of a 500 doesn’t show up on pictures (although it does affect glare), I think it would probably be OK.

Test it and see before you panic?

• ballistic
    Participant

Thank you Peter, I will have a look when I get a chance. Whats crazy is, when zooming in and out, it either becomes more visible or not. So I can see why you say it hardly shows up on a 500mm, and Im assuming thats a prime lens you talking about

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Yes, prime lens.

• elsahoffmann

Shouldn’t show on your images. I have a 24-70 which an ostrich man handled a bit. lots of nicks on the front element. Test and let us know

Why did you buy a Pentax again haha

• ballistic
      Participant

Joh Elsa, besides reminding me of one of the best ever war movies, “Platoon”, this thing is built like a tank. Check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

All metal construction under that plastic wrapping, weather seals like you wont believe, extremely solid, very well laid out, and the lenses are CHEEEEEEP. Getting into the all manual thing is a storie though!

I forgot this awesome feature .This camera has stabilization built into the body, which is awesome if you older longer focal length lenses. It literally shifts the damn sensor to accomodate camera shake. How awesome is that ne.

I’m never gonan do large format prints with this, so the 14mp is more than enough for me.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  ballistic.
  • SimonDP

Scratches on the front element will enhance any glare effect, so keep direct light off it. Might show up at smaller apertures, wide open maybe not. SHort zoom setting also more affected than long zoom. Test and see where you get anything noticeable.

• ballistic
      Participant

Definately short zoom more visiable yes. There arent any seriously deep scratches on it. I thought it would be more pronounced and show up more on the image. Im gonna take it out this weekend and see what happens. Im still trying to get to grips with the manual focusing side of things. And then the shaking, I need to smoke some ganja or have a good few shots of Gin before I can get my muscles to relax a touch.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx