Route through Namibia2018-04-09T19:52:48+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics GPS Great Photo Spots Route through Namibia

Route through Namibia

• Author
    Participant

Hello,

I try to figure out a good photographic (birds especially) route through Namibia for coming December/Januari.
    For so far I thinking of:

Daan Viljoen (first day)
    Walvisbaai (birds not to far here?)
    Waterberg Plateau NP
    Etosha (Akaukuejo/Halali and Anmutoni)
    Popa falls & Mahango
    Shakawe (Botswana)
    Katima Mulilo
    Kasane

Does anybody have some recommendations? Maybe better places or something? Main purpose is birdphotography. But I love also mammals of course and landscapes.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

• elsahoffmann

I have not been myself – but boy do I envy you!

Peter Connan – one of the members here – have been – and will be more experienced in giving advice.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Frank, I have only been to the middle and very southern edge of Namibia.

Our route was JHB to Windhoek via the Trans Kalahari Highway, from there straight to Okaukeujo, then to Palmwag, from there to Aba Huab, Uis, Messum Crater, Mile 108 and thence to Swakopmund. From there we went to Blutkuppe and then to the Kgalagadi.

You can find a trip report here: http://safaritalk.net/topic/17384-central-namibia-self-drive-beauty-in-a-harsh-land/

Of these areas, Etosha and Swakopmund/Walvisbay areas really delivered. Especially the public campsites in Etosha, and the shoreline from the port and through the salt-works area to Paaltjies in Walvisbay. However, timing is important for Walvis, as many migratory species stop here, and I missed that having been about a month too late. Palmwag also delivered great opportunities for Pale-winged Starling, Rosy-faced Lovebirds and several swift species. And Blutkuppe delivered an amazing opportunity for night sky photography.

As for the south, I followed the Orange river from Vioolsdrift to Sendelingsdrift, and got several very nice opportunities.

As for the Shakawe/Katima Molilo areas, I returned yesterday from a trip through Botswana. We visited Shakawe very briefly, but stayed over in a community campsite at Seronga which delivered excellent birding. So too did Audi camp in Maun and the Khwai areas, but this is a tough area and you need to do very careful planning if travelling alone, especially if it is as wet as it is now. We found several abandoned vehicles in mud-holes…

• Frank Droge
    Participant

Thanks!

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Pleasure. Enjoy your trip!

• DaveK
    Participant

Frank, the whole Kunene river area is fantastic for birds, and when I travelled that route (via Etosha, then Van ZYls pass, and the Marien fluss a couple of years ago, birding was incredible – Parrots, lovebirds, various hornbills, and a few local specials as well.
    However, a tough trip on vehicles, not to be done, imo, unaccompanied, unless you are a very experienced overlander.
    Namibia will justify at least three visits if you want to begin to do it some justice!
    Enjoy, the trip you will never forget!
    Dave.

• Frank Droge
    Participant

Super, thank you Peter & Dave!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx