Pelican Case Foam2009-08-19T14:39:45+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment Other Camera Equipment Pelican Case Foam

Pelican Case Foam

• Author
    Participant

I have a Pelican 1620 case that has old foam inserts in it that I need to replace. I have a 30D, 5D MK II, 70-200, 16-35, 100-400, 100 Macro, 580Ex, 580EXII etc, etc.

I wanted to know if anyone knows where i can get a customized foam insert done in JHB (PTA at a push) that won’t break the bank. I can buy the replacement foam and pull out the fingers but i don’t think it will be very neat end result :(. Looking on the www, the guys in the USA seem to have fantastic solutions.

The one place i tried was Alpine Cases but they were expensive:eek:.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

search for high density foam, and then get a waterjet profiling company to help you with the cutouts 🙂

• Mike Nell
    Participant

Although its great to have a place for each and every piece of equipment I would rather suggest you look into getting a divider set for the Pelican.
    Its often happen that you change a lens or a body and then your whole setup(outlay) is different.
    With the divider set you can change at will.
    hope it helps

• Helenus Kruger
    Participant

Thanks Hedrus, good advise. I was wondering what to do as my kit did change and I need a inside replacement for my 1600.

A pity it is so expensive. I see on the Pelican website the padded dividers are almost double the price of the foam. With the foam replacement for my 1600 case going for a bit over R1000 this means that the dividers will be R2000+.

Ouch.

• Marnix
    Participant

Was hoping to to have to spend R2k 😮 to get this sorted…

• Fanie
    Participant

Go to Sondor ( they have a branch here in Waltloo PTA) and get some high density foam sheats.

Use an electric bread knife to cut the openings, or even a steel hacksaw blade. Then glue the layer together to fill the case.

Sondor can also cut the foam, but it will cost….

• Ryan Drummond
    Participant

@fanie 168148 wrote:

Go to Sondor ( they have a branch here in Waltloo PTA) and get some high density foam sheats.

Use an electric bread knife to cut the openings, or even a steel hacksaw blade. Then glue the layer together to fill the case.

Sondor can also cut the foam, but it will cost….

This is the plan that I would use. I usualy use a non serated carving knife for cutting foam, buy more than you need to work on a cutting technique and when you can cut straight, make you layout. Use toothpicks when marking out the outlines around your kit and then a marking pen, to draw an outline of the shape you want to remove.

• wildpicture
    Participant

You can also put the foam in a freezer for a night, to make the cutting much easier.

• Alvin
    Participant

anyone know where you can buy the divider inserts for Pelican cases (instead of the foam)?

or any other options if you dont want to use the foam?

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

Alvin, Outdoorphoto would be able to help you. Just give them a call and they’ll do the rest.

• Alvin
    Participant

Thanks Marcell
    I’m in contact with Norma-Jean on some other stuff.
    I only saw the Storm case dividers on the online shop – but not the Pelican ones.
    I’ll ask her to help.
    Cheers

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

Alvin, Jean would most certainly help you with that. Unfortunetly not everything is listed in the online shop. There’s loads more in the Brick n mortar shop 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx