/////Owners of Canon 300 f/2.8 lenses
Owners of Canon 300 f/2.8 lenses2014-06-04T08:39:03+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Owners of Canon 300 f/2.8 lenses

Tagged: 

Owners of Canon 300 f/2.8 lenses

• Author
    Participant

My 70-200 mk2 and 24-70 mk2 gets maximum use (weekly) and was worth the investment.

I have been hiring the Canon 300 f/2.8 lens for wildlife shoots. Given the sharpness of the lens anything I use (300 f/4 or 100-400 or 400 f/5.6) just does not seem to be adequate. The lens is quite expensive (even 2nd hand). I was considering buying it giving me the greatest flexibility for last minute game drives however I thought that it might end up sitting more than its used. For those of you that are not in full time photography and own a 300 f/2,8, how many times a year do you end up taking it out.

• Ernst
    Participant

Hi Jayson.

Short answer: I just sold mine. 🙂

To be honest, I was sad letting it go, as it is such a fantastic lens.

I used the lens more when I was not doing photography full time – probably because I did only the fun stuff on weekends. 😉

Now that I am doing photography full time, I found the same: using the shorter f2.8 lenses all the time, 300mm almost never. Then again, I hardly ever shoot birds and wildlife anymore, because those photos don’t pay my bills.

• Jeffreysa
    Participant

When I’m in the bush then I use it most of the time along with a 400 f5.6 and a 70-200 (3xBodies).
    90% of the time it has a TC x2 on it if the light is right for birds. I never use it for non wildlife shots.
    So it all depends on how many times you are in the bush. I would only sell it if I could replace with a 600F4, but that, I’m afraid, is not going to happen.
    So mine does sit more than it get used but for me that’s OK, I just really enjoy it when I can.

• Jellievis
    Participant

Jayson,

I made the “mistake” of hiring one from ODP rentals. I was hooked and purchased a MK II. I use it 99% of the time with a 1.4x TC and the results are excellent. I still get acceptable results from my 100-400mm and 70-200mm f/4.0, but the 300mm f/2.8 is king.

Between the three lenses mentioned above, I suppose it is used 90% of the time when I shoot wildlife.

• DaveK
    Participant

I use my 500/4 much less since I have this lens. in fact considering selling the former. currently testing 2x iii. How often I use it: just depends on how often I go out, but every time I go out, I use it! Personally, considering it can be used as an excellent 300, A very good 400, and a good 600, I suspect it may just be the most versatile option if you are a one big white kind of person
    D

• jayson
    Participant

Seems like quite a versatile lens. Still not sure what to do. Anyone else ? 🙂

• Norm de Plume
    Participant

When I shot APS-C/H exclusively the 300mm was my favourite lens for shooting sports – with and without TCs. When I added a full frame to my collection I soon realised it wasn’t going to be long enough and went out and got the 400mm f/2.8 and eventually sold the 300 because it just wasn’t getting the use it deserved. Great lens, sharp as hell, and ultra reliable.

• Ernst
    Participant

If in doubt, rent the lens when needed, like before. That’s a lot of cash to tie up in a lens you don’t use often. Then again, the joy of owning awesome lenses is not all about logic!

• Drew Cairncross
    Participant

You can steal my truck, my Engel (it has happened), tent and camping gear, but I pity the fool who tries to steal my 300 f2.8 for they will be spared no mercy. I do not venture out many times a year, so buying the 300 prime was gamble and a situation of procrastination, much like you are going through. Having said that, I do not regret it for one second. I am a hobbyist photographer at best, yet that lens can produce some very satisfying images. In the long term, it makes sense to buy if you will use it only 4 or 5 times a year. Renting is an option if you are going to use it once every 2 years in my opinion.

• Edwin Raubenheimer
    Participant

This is my most used lens when all fails this is the one I take. 90% of the time I do Birds and use it with the 1.4 extender There is no better lens for birds in flight. It is very fast on it’s own and even for taking insects and close-ups I have many lenses that I don’t use

• Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant

the 300mm f2.8 is a the go to telephoto for most wildlife togs … extremely versatile, but you would need to shoot regularly to justify spending the that sort of money, but if you pick up a mk2 for R60 to 67k you could easily sell it for that same price!!! dose not devalue quickly … Non IS models are still going for 18 to 22k (cameratek dose not carry parts anymore, if it breaks you are screwd) and mk1 IS versions are 35 to 42K …

• Jaco de Klerk
    Participant

Bought one 5 years ago, initially using it with 1.4x and 2x converters on a crop body, for birds. (Ditto DaveK’s comments)
    Later I went full frame and added a longer lens – ie longer than what I can stretch the 300 to with converters. Although the 300 now sees much less use, it continues to serve me very well and I don’t foresee replacing it with any prime or zoom in the 300-600 range.. ok its only rival in my books is the mark ii 400/2.8.

• jayson
    Participant

Anyone know of anyone wanting to part with a 300 f/2.8 MK1/2 😀 at a good price.

• Ernst
    Participant

Sorry, just sold mine. In excellent condition; sold it for R38000. Was sold a mere 30 minutes after putting it on ODP Classifieds…this lens is popular and not sold very often. The owners like them too much!

• jayson
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I was able to get my hands on a 300mm 2.8 IS MK1. Cannot wait to use it :-). Anyone know if there are alternative lens caps to the supplied leather one – maybe a plastic cap of sorts that is available in SA.

• Ernst
    Participant

ODP sells a nice neoprene lens cap that is much easier to fit. It is not a hard cap, though

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx