ODP Black Friday disappoints!2017-11-21T10:28:57+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses ODP Black Friday disappoints!

Tagged: 

ODP Black Friday disappoints!

• Author
    Participant

Just find it strange and disappointing that the Black Friday deals on cameras and lenses are so mediocre, hardly black Friday worthy… a 5% there a 15% here etc. just normal specials when actually Black Friday is meant to be be like ‘crazy’ specials, come on ODP…

• bomtek

Firstly, Black Friday is an American thing and secondly, there is such heavy competition between the retailers that markups are kept to the bare minimum. Whilst it may not meet the US standards, 16% on a Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II is a substantial saving.

• elsahoffmann

The rush for Black Friday is enough to not let me go anywhere. Nikon usually has a spell of throwing things on huge special – and I think Canon too. Makes more sense to me. This Black Friday thing just hypes everyone up to buy stuff they dont want – so I like it better when Nikon/canon makes a different kind of an effort. Just my opinion.

• Jostian
    Participant

Yes maybe i was hooping for too much, and yes it’s an American thing but if that’s the case and SA companies start it to then they should do it properly. The specials on the Canon and Nikon gear are no more special than the normal discounts ODP has from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• elsahoffmann

Who doesn’t like a real bargain… it’s human nature to get excited about sales. But since Black Friday is an American thing – (just like Haloween) you cant expect local guys to do it with as much passion as the Americans. We are hanger-onners and copy cats that can’t dream up our own shโ€ขt so we try and imitate the Yanks.

• Keith Baxter
    Participant

What disappoints me more, and I find it difficult to believe is coincidence. It appears that all the camera stores are price colluding. The same products are on special at the same price.

• Jostian
    Participant

Yes i have suspected that for a while, a pity actually…

• elsahoffmann

AFAIK they are bound by what Nikon/Canon dictates regarding price. Nikon for instance will advise they can give X amount discount for the period XYZ

the frenzy has started. Promises of huge discounts (which by the way is only a bargain IF you can afford it)

• Jostian
    Participant

Yip, too true.

• elsahoffmann

And so the damn sms message started – for stuff no one else wants to buy any other time of the year.

• BrianSA
    Participant

The best bargain I’ve seen this year is the discounted beer on sale all day at the Bush Pub in Hoedspruit. Now that’s something worth taking advantage of ! ๐Ÿ™‚ TGIF Slainte ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• elsahoffmann

@briansa 298078 wrote:

The best bargain I’ve seen this year is the discounted beer on sale all day at the Bush Pub in Hoedspruit. Now that’s something worth taking advantage of ! ๐Ÿ™‚ TGIF Slainte ๐Ÿ˜Ž

๐Ÿ˜€ I wish someone would sell Zuma off for half price.

• Jeffreysa
    Participant

Best Black Friday was in Zimbabwe.
    They got a new President for a Bob.

• elsahoffmann

jeffreysa;298080 wrote:
    best black friday was in zimbabwe.
    They got a new president for a bob.

:d

• AllanBower
    Participant

@jeffreysa 298080 wrote:

Best Black Friday was in Zimbabwe.
    They got a new President for a Bob.

๐Ÿ˜‰

• AllanBower
    Participant

Black Friday -What a lot of codswallop – just like Halloween in SA.

All that Black Friday money the retailers make, is used to pay for the loss in sales made before Black Friday, because everyone was waiting for BF and not shopping. It is also used to cover the loss in sales after BF, because all those shoppers have over spent in the BF hype, and have to pay back their CC debt. Call me cynical ๐Ÿ™‚

As mentioned earlier, mark up on cameras, lenses, laptops etc in SA is “small”. As SA’s we should not compare BF prices with the Americans. They have a massive market whilst ours is “tiny”. An extra 5% discount here makes a huge difference to our retailers, whereas the American retailers can carry that a lot more comfortably.

I agree, if SA Companies cannot do it “properly” then they should not do it at all. So hopefully BF in SA will disappear into the atmosphere, but not likely.

• elsahoffmann

I was fortunate to stumble upon Black friday specials for something I was going to order anyway – When I ordered I noticed the discount – 50% off. So I am not complaining, but it was incidental

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx