Nikon F90x weird problem2012-02-19T09:38:01+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras Nikon F90x weird problem

Nikon F90x weird problem

• Author
    Participant

Hi There

I have a Nikon F90x film camera, and I suspect somethings not working correctly on it. I normally use Aperture Priority in my other camera (D7k), and I’m used to setting the aperture with one of the dials. On the F90x however, this isn’t working, it’s just stuck at F22.

I suspected that I should probably set the wanted aperture on the lens ring, but even then, the camera never recognizes this. The only way to use it now is to use Shutter Priority to change the shutter speed until the camera matches up the wanted aperture with my selected shutter speed, set the lens to this aperture, and fire away. DOF preview button also works.

Even in Full Manual mode, I cannot change the aperture at all, it simply shows F22. What could be the problem.

My Shutter priority work-around works perfectly, pictures come out as I intend them to do, so it seems as though it could be some software problem.

Any thoughts?

• Fanie
    Participant

I just checked my F90X with a Sigma 15-30 lens on. You have to use the apperture ring on the lens, but my camera recognise this and show the chosen apperture in the viewfinder, and adjust shutter speed accordingly.

• JohannS
    Participant

Yup. Thought so. Mine’s not doing that. I’ll take it to Nikon and see what they can come up with.
    Thanks for checking for me.
    These cameras don’t appear to have any ‘software’ or something that you can update or flash or whatever, and I can’t find much on the web about this problem either. Hope it’s not a dud, I went to great lengths to get it!

Cheers

• JohannS
    Participant

Ok. Found the problem. Just above the lens mount, there’s a little lever thingie. This is attached to a ring that runs smoothly under the metal lens mount ring. I never noticed this little lever, but if I move it all the way to one end, the aperture ring on the lens ‘works’ because it pushes this lever along as you increase the F-number. However, for some reason, this ring does not return when you turn the ring the other way. It’s as if it should have some small spring or something somewhere that has apparently broken or something.

So there you go.

I can either use a small screwdriver now to set lower apertures as I shoot (which would be crazy), find a good repair shop to do a proper repair (Nikon won’t service an F90x any longer), or find another solution by myself. Anybody know where I can get really small springs made to order? 😉

Cheers

• JohannS
    Participant

Even better, anybody know what this ring/lever is called. It’s damn hard googling for something when you don’t know what the hell it’s called.

• Fanie
    Participant

Ludwigs Photography in PTA still repair older film bodies as far as I know.

• JohannS
    Participant

BTW. It’s called the Aperture coupling ring. It has a pulley system going through the body that is a real pain to replace. But Ludwig’s has done it for me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx