Nikon DF2017-06-05T10:02:38+02:00

Nikon DF

• Author
    Participant

I see the DF is currently not available from ODP or ORMS anymore, and their second hand pricing is tumbling.

Is their any reason NOT to buy this camera currently? I currently shoot with a D610 and cant complain even a little bit, but looking for a backup, and yea, that retro look gets me going.

Regards

• Thinus155
    Participant

I would also love one. But the price!!!!

• Peter Connan
    Participant

I think the biggest negative is that the control systems between your two cameras will then be completely different, makin git perhaps a little more difficult to change settings on the fly?

• elsahoffmann

The DF is in another class – you either love it or hate it.
    There is talk about an upgrade to the DF – perhaps a DFII or something – which might explain why you cant get the DF or why prices on the second hand ones are tumbling.
    Although this is a stunning camera – I don’t think it’s suitable as a second body. It’s in another class. It’s one of the most talked about cameras on some Nikon Forums EVER.
    You already have a FF – have you considered a DX body for things like wildlife/birds etc ? If you do such a thing? D500?

• swainsons
    Participant

@elsahoffmann 297317 wrote:

You already have a FF – have you considered a DX body for things like wildlife/birds etc ? If you do such a thing? D500?

Hey Elsa,

Rented D500 for a weekend in Sabi Sands, and honestly, that thing did not row my boat. ISO from 1600 upwards was very disappointing. So no, DX not in my sights at all. And D750 just to close to D610 so thats also not gonna happen.

Regards

• elsahoffmann

Interesting comment – but I do think you will be disappointed with the DF too. Makes one wonder – what is left? Second hand D800?

(I still shoot with 2 of them – and its perfect that they are the same for me )

• swainsons
    Participant

@elsahoffmann 297320 wrote:

Interesting comment – but I do think you will be disappointed with the DF too. Makes one wonder – what is left? Second hand D800?

(I still shoot with 2 of them – and its perfect that they are the same for me )

Why do you think I will be disappointed Elsa?

• elsahoffmann

of course I may be wrong – but I get the impression it’s more of a “back to basics” camera and not as user friendly as the rest. It is defintely in a class of it’s own. You are welcome to go read the threads on the DF on this forum – http://nikongear.net/revival/ there are some very very long threads on it which will give you a much better idea than I can. I have never owned one – so its a bit of hit and miss to only listen to me

• swainsons
    Participant

I think the biggest deal breaker for me is that its a different battery to D610/D750/D8**….

All the rest, whatever it is, I can live with.

• chambeshi
    Participant

@swainsons 297325 wrote:

I think the biggest deal breaker for me is that its a different battery to D610/D750/D8**….

All the rest, whatever it is, I can live with.

As Elsa says, the Df sure has 2 camps who adore or loath it. If you started with film and the likes of the infamous FM2 the Df is a superb modern camera. I bought mine used in the UK at a reduced price because of a scratched baseplate, which is of no concern (fitted the leather cover in any case).

The ISO setting is my only minor quibble and I can live with its sluggish AF, it being what was accepted in 2004. Now we have the advanced AF of the D5/D500. The sensor in the Df is the D4’s. Its capabilities remain very good indeed, including impressive dynamic range.

I use my Df for wildlife, landscapes and more but I find my D500 is in its own class for wildlife.

• elsahoffmann

@Fenton Cotterill 297441 wrote:

I use my Df for wildlife, landscapes and more but I find my D500 is in its own class for wildlife.

I just hate when you guys water the forests that my other friends have planted in my brain.

I am seriously considering a D500 for birding

• chambeshi
    Participant
  • elsahoffmann

@Fenton Cotterill 297443 wrote:

couple more links to foster growth of seedlings into more substantive than saplings. In so many respects, the D500 is a superb instrument. And an investment with credible longevity 🙂

Thanks for the links Fenton. I am really seeing great reviews on the D500, and more importantly – reviews with personal experiences in the field. Having said all of that – it still needs to be affordable to me – especially in the light that it will only be my second body – I still need to keep my Main body up to date too!
    I have 2 x D800’s which is serving me just fine. I really get very good results – despite it’s limitations – but then it also has 36mp’s which I adore. The new D850 might actually suit me better, but that is not on the cards for me just yet – so maybe by the time it launches – that will be the one I look at. The *ss is itching but I am not desperate. (I am selling the forest to others now haha)

Then again – in 6 months or so a few more D500’s will come into the market….

Thanks for responding – I appreciate your input.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx