/////Nikon D850 – why no discussion
Nikon D850 – why no discussion2017-08-29T13:27:22+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras Nikon D850 – why no discussion

Nikon D850 – why no discussion

  • Author
    Posts
  • Tobieo
    Participant
    Post count: 226

    Nikon has now announced the long anticipated replacement to the D810. I find it strange that there are no threads commenting on the possible “wow” or “ney” properties of this new camera. Is this just a symptom of what I believe to be less users / visitors to this (and other SA) sites?

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    i think it is possibly because every other place or forum has discussed it big time. you just have to google to find every leak, further leak, ultimate leak, release, review, review and updated review.

    It seems like a REALLY great camera. Quite a lot of “new” things in it (sensor is different if I remember correctly) – and I would therefor think it wise to wait for the second batch to be delivered. It would serve me well but I am not going to replace bodies right now – in fact I think I will wait for the upgrade to the D850 – if is is possible.

    edit :
    no sooner did I post this – when I found https://christopherswan.co.uk/blog/2017/8/24/a-new-camera

  • Peter Connan
    Participant
    Post count: 817

    Well, for myself, I will urge everyone I see to go and buy a D850.

    If they do, Nikon will have money in the budget to continue developing great cameras and lenses, and there will be more of them on the second-hand market in a few years when I really can’t contain my own GAS any longer…

    🙂

  • Tobieo
    Participant
    Post count: 226

    Yip Elsa, I have read all those and some more. The question is why on all and other sites but almost nothing on this site?

  • SimonDP
    Moderator
    Post count: 2142

    I guess we SA guys talk from personal experience, having it in the hand and playing with it. Right now no-one that comes to mind has had that experience, some selected big time testers only with that privilege.

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    @tobieo 297680 wrote:

    Yip Elsa, I have read all those and some more. The question is why on all and other sites but almost nothing on this site?

    well how much activity is on ODP forums to begin with?

    most people will know the discussion here will hardly attract attention – too few who participate – and no one will hands on experience – so we would link to other sites.

    I really would like the forum to be more active – to encourage posts about things (and GAS)

  • Thinus155
    Participant
    Post count: 467

    I would love to have one, specs look great. Read all about it on the rumor sites. Just worried about the price…. Guess I only need 1 kidney….

  • chambeshi
    Participant
    Post count: 21

    I agree Elsa, the torrent of info has many negatives. Most of it is superficial and repetitive, and it began before the official announcements. Well, I have put down deposit on mine…. i will hang on to my D500 until convinced there’s no gremlins in the D850

    Here’s my take on the D850 wrt to wildlife and also landscape photography…. Further serves to compile links to more reliable and informative of www posts:

    https://chambeshiphotographyblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/01/the-new-nikon-d850-or-the-nikon-d500-and-the-other-excellent-nikon-cameras/

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    Fenton – I believe (once any possible bugs have been attended to) that the D850 will serve you well. It would serve me very well too – but not in the budget as I am spending my money on traveling for a bit. Yes I know it would be great to have a D850 for traveling – but it would also ben nice to be a Billionaire. It aint happening. I also have to buy a couple of sheep for November to braai. I believe I am going to braai braai braai for a a while.

  • Tobieo
    Participant
    Post count: 226

    @elsahoffmann 297688 wrote:

    well how much activity is on ODP forums to begin with?

    most people will know the discussion here will hardly attract attention – too few who participate – and no one will hands on experience – so we would link to other sites.

    I really would like the forum to be more active – to encourage posts about things (and GAS)

    Elsa, this is exactly my point and due to the rather inactive forum I nowadays seldom visit the forum. I still am a ODP supporter (and customer)

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    @tobieo 297702 wrote:

    Elsa, this is exactly my point and due to the rather inactive forum I nowadays seldom visit the forum. I still am a ODP supporter (and customer)

    There is only one way to change this – and that is to participate on the forum on as many threads as possible – or post new threads. I visit the forums and participate as much as possible. So does a few others, but the numbers are limited.

  • swainsons
    Participant
    Post count: 422

    @tobieo 297672 wrote:

    Nikon has now announced the long anticipated replacement to the D810. I find it strange that there are no threads commenting on the possible “wow” or “ney” properties of this new camera. Is this just a symptom of what I believe to be less users / visitors to this (and other SA) sites?

    If it makes me a better photog, I will buy one, until then I will slog it out with my very capable D610.

    Regards

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    @swainsons 297742 wrote:

    If it makes me a better photog, I will buy one, until then I will slog it out with my very capable D610.

    Regards

    of course it will 😉 Nikon promises you that! :rolleyes:

  • Tobieo
    Participant
    Post count: 226

    @elsahoffmann 297703 wrote:

    There is only one way to change this – and that is to participate on the forum on as many threads as possible – or post new threads. I visit the forums and participate as much as possible. So does a few others, but the numbers are limited.

    Yip Elsa, you are one of the loyal “old timer” that still try to keep it going. Thank you!

  • chambeshi
    Participant
    Post count: 21

    Feedback on NikonGear from first experiences is rolling in across Europe – are most complementary. AF performance of the D850 is even better than D500; one new owner found that all 10 of his current Nikkors did not need AF fine-tuning.

    Low light performance and overall DR output is equally impressive!

    Besides the slow performance of the AF in Silent-Mode, there seems little to find fault in this new Nikon!

    A reassuring read – Dissection of a D850. It’s built like a Nikon of yore! A minor factor is “magnesium is not always perfect, it is more prone to salt water and shock.” compared against carbon-fibre composite

    Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/09/08/nikon-d850-dslr-camera-teardown-more-durable-design-significant-improvements-in-many-areas.aspx/#ixzz4sAbJCKp3

  • chambeshi
    Participant
    Post count: 21

    One review of the D850 since the first cameras reached customers in 1st world earlier this week. Largely more of the same about all the impressive features of the camera, and less in depth quantification of the attributes of the images it takes: “A much more versatile proposition than the D810 (and its closest rivals), the D850 is a brilliant DSLR, and perhaps the most well-rounded camera we’ve ever tested.”
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/nikon-d850-review

    Another – http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/nikon-d850

    We are informed this review will be updated soonish as test images are processed…. And useful to re-read the feedback about the D850 from their meeting (last month) with Nikon engineers :
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850A.HTM

    More on D850 Video

    https://petapixel.com/2017/09/06/heres-first-8k-timelapse-shot-nikon-d850/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx

Loading...