Nikon 70-200 F4 announced2012-10-24T14:48:40+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Nikon 70-200 F4 announced

Nikon 70-200 F4 announced

• Author
    Participant

Nikon has just announced a 70-200f4 with 5 stops VR/IS but you have to buy a tripod collar as an expensive extra!!

• Chris Twine
    Participant

It seriously about time they released that lens. If it comes in at a decent price and the quality is on par with the 2.8, its sure to be a winner.

Now, where is that 400 5.6 lens Nikon?

• Lefty
    Participant

Now apart from a lower price, and less weight, why would this prove to be more popular than the 70-200 f2.8?
    Or is the f4 – f2.8 difference a non-issue (except in very low light conditions)?

How many will be giving up their 70-200 f2.8 for this f4 lens?

• Chris Twine
    Participant

I dont think too many will give up their 70-200 2.8, but for those who cannot afford the 2.8 version now have a decent alternate option ($1399 for F4 version vs $2399 for 2.8 version according to B&H), so should be around R8000 difference between the two lenses in SA?

• massimo
    Participant

@peter Betts 270400 wrote:

… but you have to buy a tripod collar as an expensive extra!!

Dont worry Canon’s 70-200 F4 also does not come with a tripod collar ๐Ÿ™‚ so they have something in common ๐Ÿ™‚

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

@lefty 270438 wrote:

Now apart from a lower price, and less weight, why would this prove to be more popular than the 70-200 f2.8?
    Or is the f4 – f2.8 difference a non-issue (except in very low light conditions)?

I think it will remain a Price and Weight Benefit issue… Price for entry to that focal length range, and weight for the travelers. Also, a lighter weight 70-200 makes work on the GigaPan easier ๐Ÿ˜€

• peterah
    Participant

@lefty 270438 wrote:

Depending on the test results when they become available, I will be seriously considering trading in the 70-200 f2.8 for this lens. I find that I am not using the f2.8 much as it is just too heavy. When I do use it I hardly ever go below f4 anyway as the DoF is too narrow. I purchased a 70-300mm VR a while back and although I dislike the variable aperture I find I am using it more than the 70-200mm because it is easier to handle. As most of my photographic time is spent outdoors hiking, the less weight I carry, the happier I am.

• Deon RacePics
    Participant

So the gap is filled. Pricing is going to be interesting. Brand Charlie will now have to upgrade the F4 lens as well

• Anonymous

@peterah 270456 wrote:

I will be seriously considering trading in the 70-200 f2.8 for this lens.

Please put me down as having first option on the 2.8.

The big advantage of the 2.8 over the 4 is in fact its very narrow depth of field which is extremely useful for portraiture and instances where you want to throw the background out of focus. I hardly ever use my 70-300 because wide open it still has too much DOF for me.

• James Voortman
    Participant

Been waiting a while for this. Will wait a little longer for some reviews. Need to see the bokeh and sharpness. I used a friend’s 70-200 f4L for a while and was impressed with its easy handling and sharpness. So this hole in the nikon lineup has needed plugging for a long time.
    However, unless it is seriously sharp and has good bokeh (notwithstanding the f4 limitation) I won’t be buying one. Have always wanted a 70-200 f2.8 but as a hiker, i know the weight will put me off and I will often leave it behind.

I think Nikon is being stingy about the tripod collar though – i mean seriously!! – $180!
    I imagine most buyers of a lens like this would want the collar.

• Dodging
    Participant

Pre orders are at 1399 USD

• Jonno
    Participant

Dont know if I am allowed to ask this…but wouldnt you rather have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8?

• Deon RacePics
    Participant

@AstraPics 270469 wrote:

Please put me down as having first option on the 2.8.

The big advantage of the 2.8 over the 4 is in fact its very narrow depth of field which is extremely useful for portraiture and instances where you want to throw the background out of focus. I hardly ever use my 70-300 because wide open it still has too much DOF for me.

If you were a serious buyer, your post would have stopped at the first sentense… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lefty
    Participant

Like so many here, I’ve also had my eye on the 70-200 f2.8 & was hoping to pick one up over the weekend but the price was just not worth the wait.

As a people/event amatuer, the bokeh is important to me, so I’m going to wait for some reviews and to also try it out before making a decision.

Wil be in New York during December, so will try it out at B&H. Hopefully no stock shortages.

And as for that collar, I don’t see many (if any) 2.8 users using their’s, even in lowlight conditions.

• Lefty
    Participant

@jonno 270486 wrote:

Dont know if I am allowed to ask this…but wouldnt you rather have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8?

I’m sure you may ask and look forward to seeing some reponses.
    My obvious question is WHY the Sigma?
    What’re the price, quality, build benefits when compared to the Nikons?

• Anonymous

@deon RacePics 270487 wrote:

If you were a serious buyer, your post would have stopped at the first sentense… ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry Deon – you lost me there somewhere.

• Dodging
    Participant

@jonno 270486 wrote:

I think these two would be very similarly priced at the end of the day, so this is a good question…

• Jonno
    Participant

Why the Sigma:

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 goes for about R16k. Much more affordable than the comparable Nikon lens. Was just thinking that if cost were the consideration instead of going for a Nikon f4 lens, wouldn’t you rather go for the Sigma? Maybe not as good as the Nikon f2.8 but surely it would be more appealing than the f4? A nice middle ground perhaps?

Would the build quality of the f4 Nikon be that much better than that of the Sigma?

Edit: Just saw the f4 on pre order for exactly the same price as the Sigma…

• peterah
    Participant

Having had Sigma lenses (100-300mm f4 EX which I stupidly sold) I can say that the build quality of the EX range is comparable to my Nikkors. For me the problem is with mass. The f2.8 glass is just too heavy to carry for kilometers comfortably when hiking. That is why I am excited about the new Nikkor. Obviously for portrait type work, the f2.8s hold more appeal.

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

@jonno 270486 wrote:

I am not that impressed with the Sigma’s performance, but whether this f/4 will be better? we will have to wait and see…

For many people it’s simply a weight issue. I used to shoot the Canon f/4 version and it was great… then I “upgraded” to the f/2.8 and the extra weight very quickly became an issue while traveling… I haven’t switched back though… but If I knew back then, I would never have switched “up”

(by the way, this is both good and bad, because the new mkII f/2.8 is so awesome, that I will not easily go back to an f/4 now, even at the extra weight ๐Ÿ˜€ )

• Deon RacePics
    Participant

@AstraPics 270494 wrote:

Sorry Deon – you lost me there somewhere.

When you are buying, why are you trying to concinve the seller its a good lens?

• Dodging
    Participant

Oh yes – Tokina will also be releasing a 70-200 F4 Nikon mount…

The list of options grows (finally)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx