Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses nikon 200 – 400mm f4 vr owners

Viewing 25 reply threads

nikon 200 – 400mm f4 vr owners

• Author
      Participant

In the market for a nikon 200 – 400mm vr f4 lens.

please share ur thoughts on purchasing local i.e orms etc or possible cost saving via amazon, BH photo etc.
      warranties etc

is there any other equipment i.e. converter etc that is a must for this lens?

thanks

• Andries Oberholzer
      Participant

Just click here and all your questions will be answered:D

• Troy.Constandakis
      Participant

Tested this lens today with and without 1.4x converter. Awesome …Awesome lens.

The lens is much longer than I anticipated but not as heavy as I expected. Good results handheld…and no difference in quality with 1.4 tc

Now just to build up the courage to part with that much money…..

• Beechcraft
      Participant

@troy_constandakis 162109 wrote:

Now just to build up the courage to part with that much money…..

Just do it, you won´t regret it for a second… :-)

• Troy.Constandakis
      Participant

thanks beechcraft…. i assume you own this lens. did u buy locally?

• Peter Betts
      Participant

I bought at B&H when the Rand was R7.00 to the Dollar and the price was $5000 but now rate is worse and the price is well over $ 6400…probably best to get local now.as I would have done but being without a job I went with the cheapest price and saved R 35000 but that was then

• Anonymous

I rented this lens from the ODP shop once. Used it a whole day with 1.4x converter. Even though I had no experience with using long lenses, I got some awesome results (the word “awesome” to be read in conjunction with my poor photographic skills).

Wouldn’t be worth my while to buy one for myself, but I’ll rent it as often as possible in future.

• Anonymous

Always bought ‘local’ from ODP shop, great service, both from them and from Nikon SA. As importantly, you get a Nikon SA warranty. I take it you would pay all the relevant taxes if you did buy abroad, savings are not worth it if you do, if you don’t pay all the taxes you don’t get the benefit of an SA warranty as I understand it. For me, peace of mind that I bought from ODP is worth any savings you may get.

its an awesome lens :)

• Peter Betts
      Participant

@john deakin 162115 wrote:

Always bought ‘local’ from ODP shop, great service, both from them and from Nikon SA. As importantly, you get a Nikon SA warranty. I take it you would pay all the relevant taxes if you did buy abroad, savings are not worth it if you do, if you don’t pay all the taxes you don’t get the benefit of an SA warranty as I understand it. For me, peace of mind that I bought from ODP is worth any savings you may get.

its an awesome lens :)

For Info..I paid all the 7% duty (none anymore) plus VAT plus shipping and still paid half of what I would have paid here and I have all the peace of mind in the world.and I have a warranty and I saved a bomb but that was then and admit now the gap is far closer. Would loved to have supported ODP then but R 35000 is 10 months living expenses for me…the normal boring stuff like medical Aid, Kids student petrol, Rates and water etc so I had to go cheap and safe

• Troy.Constandakis
      Participant

There seems to be a major shortage on this lens though. All major online players ie B&H, Amazon, Ritz, etc are all on back order. Orms only had one lens in stock. I am in Cape Town so not sure of the situation in JHB.

Anybody know whether there will be specials on this lens at Photo Expo?

Cheers

• Anonymous

@troy_constandakis 162124 wrote:

Anybody know whether there will be specials on this lens at Photo Expo?

Call Hedrus at ODP, if there is he will know.

• Beechcraft
      Participant

@troy_constandakis 162111 wrote:

thanks beechcraft…. i assume you own this lens. did u buy locally?

Ah no, i bought it from Adorama, New York as a refurbished lens, which was basically new, but i got it for appr. 4500$.

That was a very good deal, but i´d even spend more money on this lens.

cheers,

Denis

• Jola
      Participant

BTW, Rossco, I can’t respond to your PM questions about the D300+200-400VR if you have your PM receipts blocked !

Getting back to the topic, this lens has always been in short supply, I think that Nikon is only geared up to make a certain number, and demand always seems to exceed supply. Well, it is an expensive lens, and I suppose that they don’t want to end up sitting with excess stock of these.

I remember that I was quite lucky to get mine. It was more a matter of grabbing it when it became available.

I’m not going to comment on the sourcing of this product, I think that all has been said. But speak to Hedrus at ODP Shop.

• kennekam
      Participant

@troy_constandakis 162092 wrote:

In the market for a nikon 200 – 400mm vr f4 lens.
      is there any other equipment i.e. converter etc that is a must for this lens?

thanks

I strangly suggest that you get the Kirk replacement foot (http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Plate_for_200-400mm_f4_AFS_VR_replacing_Nikon_foot.html) or the Wimberley one (see http://www.outdoorphotoshop.co.za/pAP-553/Wimberley-Replacement-foot-AP-553.aspx ).

I have the Kirk which I got from http://www.medpraxav.co.za/Kirk.htm. It has the Arca mount built in and decreases the height of the lens a bit. Makes a great handle as well. Works very well with the Wimberley II.

Get both the 1.4x and 1.7x converters fro ultimate flexibility. Avoid the 2x one, though.

• Troy.Constandakis
      Participant

has anybody used the camo bandage tape for the lens? see what i mean here. Where can i get this from? I am also concerned about the sticky residue that may be left on the lens. Preferably looking for something residue free…

• AMILO
      Participant

It is still about R25000 cheaper if you get it from the States – even after paying all the vat & postage etc..

I know you don’t get the guarantee, but then you Nikon chaps are always saying how reliable your gear is. With this in mind is a guarantee worth R25000?

• Anonymous

@troy_constandakis 162151 wrote:

has anybody used the camo bandage tape for the lens? see what i mean here. Where can i get this from? I am also concerned about the sticky residue that may be left on the lens. Preferably looking for something residue free…

‘Lens coats’ are available at ODP and ‘hoodies’ too, very effective and well worth the money

• Peter Betts
      Participant

@AMILO 162153 wrote:

It is still about R25000 cheaper if you get it from the States – even after paying all the vat & postage etc..

I know you don’t get the guarantee, but then you Nikon chaps are always saying how reliable your gear is. With this in mind is a guarantee worth R25000?

Graham you do get a guarantee with ALL Nikon stuff imported as long as you have proof it came in legally and you paid everything as should be…My lens fully imported on my Credit card is covered by Foto distributors as is my Gitzo Tripod where the fixed the broken on arrival pod no questions asked…I have to shop ther most of the time but my cameras all come from Hedrus

• Peter Betts
      Participant

Get the Black one that matches the natural color of the lens…..half price overseas as are most accessories like Lowepro stuff

• Troy.Constandakis
      Participant

has anyone tempted using 200-400 lens without hood. like any new owner i am too scared to take it off. it does make a big difference in length without it….

how does it affect image quality with this lens?

• kennekam
      Participant

No, no. no……. get the lens coat from Hedrus. No residue. http://www.outdoorphotoshop.co.za/pLCN200-400/LensCoatTM-for-the-Nikon-200-400-VR.aspx

• kennekam
      Participant

@troy_constandakis 162160 wrote:

has anyone tempted using 200-400 lens without hood. like any new owner i am too scared to take it off. it does make a big difference in length without it….

how does it affect image quality with this lens?

The lens has a protective front element that comes with the lens, so you can safely use it without the hood. Watch out for glare, though.

• Peter Betts
      Participant

@jaykay 162165 wrote:

No, no. no……. get the lens coat from Hedrus. No residue. http://www.outdoorphotoshop.co.za/pLCN200-400/LensCoatTM-for-the-Nikon-200-400-VR.aspx

Lens coat is the same anywhere in the world…like a Canon 40D is the same at ODP as it is in Sydney Aus…no difference

• kennekam
      Participant

@Peter Betts 162170 wrote:

Lens coat is the same anywhere in the world…like a Canon 40D is the same at ODP as it is in Sydney Aus…no difference

What I meant is that the OP must get the LensCoat rather than use sticky camo tape. Where he sources it from is irrelevant. I merely suggested Hendrus as a local source.

• Troy.Constandakis
      Participant

thanks peter and jaykay. will do. looks like a good buy. does it hamper operation of the lens in anyway? does it fit with hood on and off?

• Peter Betts
      Participant

@jaykay 162148 wrote:

I strangly suggest that you get the Kirk replacement foot (http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Plate_for_200-400mm_f4_AFS_VR_replacing_Nikon_foot.html) or the Wimberley one (see http://www.outdoorphotoshop.co.za/pAP-553/Wimberley-Replacement-foot-AP-553.aspx ).

I have the Kirk which I got from http://www.medpraxav.co.za/Kirk.htm. It has the Arca mount built in and decreases the height of the lens a bit. Makes a great handle as well. Works very well with the Wimberley II.

Get both the 1.4x and 1.7x converters fro ultimate flexibility. Avoid the 2x one, though.

Yes get rid of that aweful high foot it comes with…lower the centre of gravity by installing a Wimberley complete replacement foot with INTEGRATED dovetails for less srews and stuff to come loose like when you have to put additional plates on as well to the standard foot

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In