Nikkor Rumours2009-12-05T06:25:03+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Nikkor Rumours

Nikkor Rumours

• Author
    Participant

I always love going onto Thomas Hogan’s site http://www.bythom.com once every 2 months or so as he always has these great and mostly correct to a point predictions…He reckons the current 80-400 VR f4.5 to 5.6 is being upgraded with a 100-500 VR AFS aimed at the very top of the consumer market and then says the replacement will be a much better bet…Dont know if he means the 100-500 version 1 will be better than the current 80-400 or whether Version 2 of the proposed rumour 100-500 will be MUCH better than the version 1 introductory lens. Questions …wonder what f stop it will be
    Wonder if it will be weather and dustproof like the 200-400 f4
    and what the IQ will be compared to the current 70-200 VRII and 200-400 and will it work on future 32 M Pixel type cameras….D4X etc

If it is right up there with the 70-200 2.8 VR II and 200-400 f4 in IQ and it is more portable and can take a 1.4x convertor and is FX rated then its a definite lens to look at fora 1 camera setup for Addo/Kruger/KTP …1 lens instead of 2 very expensive lenses?????

Thoughts please…I will love to wait and see…a f3.5 to f5.6 that takes a 1.4x convertor would be very attractive with Nano and VR II and fixed length etc..pro speccy lens

• SimonDP

A fast 100-500/5.6 (?) will not be a real replacement for the 80-400, my personal opinion. Yet it would be fantastic lens if properly designed, and could harm the 200-400/4. Unfortunately, knowing Nikon, the price could just be unrealistic, again. Ohterwise, if aimed against the 50-500/6.3 type lenses or Tamron 200-500/6.3 it could give Nikon users a much needed long lens alternative at maybe only double the price of a Bigma or Tamron. Would be interesting to see how this develop, if at all.

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

All I know is that he has a kickass domain name (by Thom)… and a few wildlife guys could enjoy having the .co.za version… maybe just pronounced as “byt hom”

🙂

• Peter Betts
    Participant

forgiss;183040 wrote:
    all i know is that he has a kickass domain name (by thom)… And a few wildlife guys could enjoy having the .co.za version… Maybe just pronounced as “byt hom”

🙂

:d:d:d

• Anonymous

forgiss;183040 wrote:
    all i know is that he has a kickass domain name (by thom)… And a few wildlife guys could enjoy having the .co.za version… Maybe just pronounced as “byt hom”

🙂

:d:d:d:d:d

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx