New Nikon Cameras2008-05-05T19:14:50+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras New Nikon Cameras

New Nikon Cameras

• Author
    Participant

Hot off the Press …Thomas Hogan in is blog has suggested that the D3X plus D90 Plus lenses will be announced by Mid June …WOW:cool: 😎
    I have been doing all the permutations trying to figure out how I would get a D300

If the D90 takes CF Cards ,has the fast AF of the D300 and Noise reduction …its a goner….. D3X …thats going to be awesome

Lenses I predict

50 1.4 AFS
    85 1.4 AFS VR
    70-200 VR II plus Nano (Just in time for the Olympics)

• Divebum
    Participant

Hi Peter,

On what do you base your predictions re the lenses??? These do look very interesting, especially the AFS on the primes.

• KCLouCorbett
    Participant

I am guessing the upgrade of the 80-400mm.

• Brendon S
    Participant

D90 with CMOS?

• Crunchie007
    Participant

There are plenty of rumours on dpreview and other forums, from posters with close links to Nikon. Even Thom Hogan predicts the D90 and D3x for release in June.

I would queue for a 85/1.4 AFS VR.

• Missy
    Participant

deetee;103995 wrote:
    Hi Peter,

On what do you base your predictions re the lenses??? These do look very interesting, especially the AFS on the primes.

Dan the current ones are great but OLD non AFS VR technology..also forgot about the long awaited 80-400 upgrade to AFS

• Anonymous

Blue Shirt;104015 wrote:
    There are plenty of rumours on dpreview and other forums, from posters with close links to Nikon. Even Thom Hogan predicts the D90 and D3x for release in June.

I would queue for that too… however, I have a queasy feeling in my gut that the price-tag will be 😮 😮 😮

• cobie coetzee
    Participant

Release in June vs Announced in June…I think we’re probably going to see something similar to the D3/300 announcement last year. You’ll be able to place your order but don’t expect it to get to you before Dec/Jan…perhaps even later depending on the spec sheet (things like dust removal etc might add complexity to the manf/QC processes). I say this because the high end bodies are usually also built in Japan and therefore there’s limited production capacity to service the International market.

My lenses are serving my needs perfectly at the moment. Only ones I might change in the future is the 70-200 f2.8 which suffers a bit on FX (softish corners and vig.) and the 85mm f1.4D which is tack sharp and is easy to focus but which can do with AFS (VR would be nice but I can take it or leave it on this one).

• Crunchie007
    Participant

There was also a recent announcement that Nikon is expanding the capacity of their camera body assembly plant at Sendai by 2 or 3 times the current capacity. All this will take time to filter through to increased product availability.

• Missy
    Participant

EtienneB;104076 wrote:
    lenses are serving my needs perfectly at the moment. Only ones I might change in the future is the 70-200 f2.8 which suffers a bit on FX (softish corners and vig.) and the 85mm f1.4D which is tack sharp and is easy to focus but which can do with AFS (VR would be nice but I can take it or leave it on this one).

Amazing statement as the 70-200 f2.8 VR is a pro lens and not DX and therefore fits DX what I use and obviously FX what you use. Piet Venter uses this lens only on his D3 (FX) and its superb….check his Gallery of Kalahari the lion at Addo…..I would change that lens in the future but only for Nano Coat and VRII but not soft corners and Vignetting because there aint non on this the best 70-200 ever made

• Crunchie007
    Participant

Peter, you have obviously not read the latest DPReview tests of the 70-200VR on the D3 FF sensor:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_70-200_2p8_vr_n15/page5.asp

Quote:
    We consider falloff to become a potential problem when the corner illumination falls to more than 1 stop less than the centre. Here it’s a serious issue wide open at all focal lengths, with corner brightness ranging from 2 to 2.7 stops (at 105mm) below centre. However the visual impact is greatest at 200mm, as here the vignetting extends furthest into the frame. Stopping down improves matters, but only gradually; at 105mm, falloff is 1.3 stops even at F11. Again, not really acceptable for a professional lens.

200mm_2p8_falloff_480.gif
    200mm F2.8, falloff

Quote:
    Finally, and perhaps most tellingly, here’s the falloff profile at 200mm F2.8; as usual the first band outside the central area indicates 2/3 stop falloff, and remaining bands are 1/3 stop intervals (and it must be pointed out that this choice of data presentation does somewhat accentuate the appearance of the issue). Here we can see broad areas of falloff just beyond the DX sensor area, which are often clearly visible in real-world shots.
  • Anny
    Participant

When Nikon bring out a 200-400 F2.8 I’ll be first in line!

• Jola
    Participant

tcmiller;104147 wrote:
    When Nikon bring out a 200-400 F2.8 I’ll be first in line!

With a Bantam Bakkie to carry it in ???

• KCLouCorbett
    Participant

Jola;104170 wrote:
    With a Bantam Bakkie to carry it in ???

Dont be ridiculous, most forum members only use Landies and Cruisers. 😉

• Johan Oosthuizen
    Participant

Please let them bring out the updated 80-400mm without pushing price,thats what Im hoping for .Peter I have to agree with Jola as Im using it on D3 and could not believe vigneting (livable) compared to say 80-200 combo.But still my favourite lens.

• Missy
    Participant

Jeepers Le Roux thank goodness I use D200 and a D300 later but to the naked eye Piet Venters shots with the 70-200 on the D3 are 1000% better than say a 70-300 VR at 200mm and optically this lens is rated at 100% image quality. It is my best and sharpest lens but then I shoot DX not FX

• Jola
    Participant

Peter R Betts;104196 wrote:
    Jeepers Le Roux thank goodness I use D200 and a D300 later but to the naked eye Piet Venters shots with the 70-200 on the D3 are 1000% better than say a 70-300 VR at 200mm and optically this lens is rated at 100% image quality. It is my best and sharpest lens but then I shoot DX not FX

I also love my 70-200VR, but the dpreview review is disappointing. I’m using a D300 now, so there is no problem, but like many Nikon users I also aspire to an FX camera at some point.

I’m sure that Nikon is aware of this, though, so you may find that a revised 70-200VR resolves these issues in a year or two – not that his helps people who already have this lens.

I would love to see how the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS rates in the upcoming dpreview tests. I believe that the Nikon lens is often rated slightly better than the Canon lens in reviews, but this may not apply on a FF camera if these issues are taken into account.

• vjgreene
    Participant

Bjorn Rorslett rates the 70-200 f2.8 VR as usable up to 150mm on D3 if you are prepared to stop down to f11- f16. Above 150mm, even stopping down, the one he tested had corner softness on the D3.

He is very critical of lenses and I respect his opinion on it.

BTW he also field tests Nikon stuff for them before it gets released.

• Trevor Day
    Participant

My 2c worth.

I don’t believe VR is needed at and below 200mm. Think about it.

The 70-200 f2.8 VR is heavy, big and expensive.

I have an older 80-200 f2.8 AF-D, bought it second hand in prestine condition. It was still boxed!

It’s smaller, lighter and has true full frame performance.

Paid R5000- for it.

I matched that with a 17-35 f2.8 AF-S (like new, in box), and a 35-70 f2.8 AF-D(also like new, boxed).

These were all “used”, but with the new craze around VR and nano coatings, people are selling them off.

A new 70-200 AF-S will set you back at least R20 000-, I bought all 3 for a total of R18 000-.

They were designed for full frame and will always be great doing that.

The latest lenses by Nikon represents a “return” to full frame coverage – they stand with one foot in the DX camp but proclaim FX design. Therein lies the problem.

A lens with FX heritage can be used to great effect on DX, but a lens with DX heritage will show that heritage when used on FX.

Regarding the new D3x, D90 (end 2008), and the D3h later on (mid 2009).

Followed by the D4 and D400 (end 2010), D4x (end 2011), D4h (mid 2012).

etc. etc.

People should still invest in good glass first, then match that with a body that fits their needs.

If you can truly say that the D3 can not keep up with you, and that you’ve pushed the limits of the camera – then rush out and get the new D5 (due end 2013 or start 2014).

• cobie coetzee
    Participant

Henke,

The voice of reason… Your post is enough to make me want to get up and go and shoot some pictures (but I also love the day job that pays my bills)! 🙂

• Christo Joubert
    Participant

Partial reply to Henke’s post

I am discovering the joys of fast manual focus primes on the D200 (so the ISO and AF issues just fade away..)

I also have some classic f2.8 glass (80-200 f2.8 d + 35-70 f2.8) but the fast primes simply have the edge on IQ.. (85 f1.4 and the 105 f2.5)

I follow the forums with regards to the AF performance and high ISO image quality of the D300 and D3 (I would love a D3) and see that the next evolution bodies will be bigger, better, faster etc and sadly as an amateur I simply cannot afford to follow suit.

When the D200 came out it was hailed as something really special – only to have the D300 “blow it into the weeds” so will the D400 do the same to the D300 ? (or fix the AF issues that are plaguing the D300 at the moment..)

So to come back to professional glass with AFs and VR there are some lenses in the Nikon lineup that have huge drool factor (+ the price tag..!) I would love to own but simply cannot afford to hence my going back to the old MF lenses (which meter perfectly on the D200)

Just realized I am woffling on here..:D

But yes old nikkor glass rocks..!

• ZonaLee
    Participant

Henke, the 80-200mm 2.8 is a bigger lens than the 70-200mm 2.8 VR. I had both at the same time and the newer one was lighter and slimmer in dimension.

IMO the 70-200mm is much better than the 80-200mm, except maybe in terms of AF speed. I found that the 80-200mm was faster to focus on my F100 than the other.

• Johan Oosthuizen
    Participant

Yip you guys did hit the nail on the head with the Dx vs Fx format.I have D200 and D3 and on D200 you cannot fault the 70-200 or 80-200 the 70-200 does show it on fx format though .
    I need the vr and speed of focusing for the fast action sports I shoot .Not sure why you would need 85mm with vr I thought it was studio lens .

• Missy
    Participant

rra;104397 wrote:
    Not sure why you would need 85mm with vr I thought it was studio lens .

Also in Kruger Early morning it would be GREAT:D …thats my studio

• Johan Oosthuizen
    Participant

Peter R Betts;104398 wrote:
    Also in Kruger Early morning it would be GREAT:D …thats my studio

You do know we all hate you lol

• Trevor Day
    Participant

Dallas;104396 wrote:
    Henke, the 80-200mm 2.8 is a bigger lens than the 70-200mm 2.8 VR. I had both at the same time and the newer one was lighter and slimmer in dimension.

IMO the 70-200mm is much better than the 80-200mm, except maybe in terms of AF speed. I found that the 80-200mm was faster to focus on my F100 than the other.

OK. Here’s the facts.

Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D:
    Length 188mm
    Weight 1300 g

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR AF-S G:
    Length 215mm
    Weight 1470 g

The other problem I have with the new lenses is that “G” at the end!

They don’t have aperture selector rings and can’t be used on my manual Nikon camera, while the 80-200mm is fully functional on both my old and new cameras.

Now for R20000- I can only use the new 70-200mm on some of my equipment, (as long as I don’t expect proper coverage on a FX frame) plus carry more weight and handle a longer lens?

• Missy
    Participant

It’s absolute garbage that the 80-200 f2.8 is faster AF than the 70-200. Firstly that was the No 1 reason that I upgraded to the 70-200 from the great 80-200 and that is with AFS the 70-200 kills the “hunting” 80-200…what a weird statement that the 80-200 is better!!!!

• ZonaLee
    Participant

@peter R Betts 104475 wrote:

It’s absolute garbage that the 80-200 f2.8 is faster AF than the 70-200. Firstly that was the No 1 reason that I upgraded to the 70-200 from the great 80-200 and that is with AFS the 70-200 kills the “hunting” 80-200…what a weird statement that the 80-200 is better!!!!

What camera were you using them on? You speak with such conviction one could almost expect to see you wearing one of those courtroom wigs.

I had both lenses at the same time and on an F100 the 80-200mm 2.8 (2-ring version) was faster to focus. It never hunted whereas the 70-200mm did, especially in low light situations, which is where I mostly used them. The kick-in of the VR probably has something to do with the lag in AF.

Which lens would I buy today? Probably the 70-200mm again, but the extra 170g certainly wouldn’t be a consideration in my decision.

• Trevor Day
    Participant

Agree, the new 70-200mm is a faster AF lens than the earlier versions.

• Missy
    Participant

Dallas;104478 wrote:
    What camera were you using them on? You speak with such conviction one could almost expect to see you wearing one of those courtroom wigs.

I had both lenses at the same time and on an F100 the 80-200mm 2.8 (2-ring version) was faster to focus. It never hunted whereas the 70-200mm did, especially in low light situations, which is where I mostly used them. The kick-in of the VR probably has something to do with the lag in AF.

Which lens would I buy today? Probably the 70-200mm again, but the extra 170g certainly wouldn’t be a consideration in my decision.

Dallas I used the 80-200 (2 ring) GREAT LENS make no bones on the F5 which had a brilliantly strong focusing motor in…lets say stronger ??? than the F100?? and it hunted at times. I use the 70-200 on the weaker focus motored D200 and theres no hunting…1.4 and 1.7 convertor included…the wonder and advantage of AFS

• val
    Participant

I wonder just how much the D3X will sell for?

• cobie coetzee
    Participant

Mitchell Krog;104520 wrote:
    I wonder just how much the D3X will sell for?

My guess would be about half way between the D3 and 1Ds MkIII. I.e. just low enough to hurt Canon market share but also high enough to recover the R&D that has not been recovered by D3 sales yet.

• Missy
    Participant

Fanie;104219 wrote:
    Bjorn Rorslett rates the 70-200 f2.8 VR as usable up to 150mm on D3 if you are prepared to stop down to f11- f16. Above 150mm, even stopping down, the one he tested had corner softness on the D3.

He is very critical of lenses and I respect his opinion on it.

BTW he also field tests Nikon stuff for them before it gets released.

As I use my 70-200 VR about 95% of the time on a non vignetting crop camera D200 I was eventually in a couple of years time going to upgrade this to the FX Nano VRII version…However has anyone heard of this same problem on the 200-400 on an FX camera….D3 plus 200-400…VIVID any ideas as you use this combo…dont ever want to go to FX if it is a problem as this lens was brought out when Nikon only had DX cameras ….is there Vignetting

• Anonymous

Nikon are bringing out an updated 70-200 with a wider area near the mount to address FX problems. Will be out in NH spring.
    This will coincide with the the FX D700, which will use the MB-D10 that the D300 uses now. Hence it not being named the MB-D1,2,300, as all were named in the past.

D3X was scheduled for spring release, but delayed till 2009 as D3 is doing so well. R&D is concentrating on the D700 for now.

• Crunchie007
    Participant

And the source of your D700 prediction? There have been many rumours about a D300-type body with FX sensor, some say it will be called the D10 or even D300x.

• Anonymous

Blue shirt. Source- Nikon Amsterdam.

• Anonymous

Unofficially of course…

• Dunegirl
    Participant

Peter I couldn’t be happier with the combo. I have taken thousands of pictures with the combo and never had a problem. I have read that there is a problem with the lens but I think that new firmware upgrade on D3 should sort it out. My personal option is that the lenses work just great on full frame.

• cobie coetzee
    Participant

There is indeed a change in the D3 firmware that allows you to correct the vig, however it doesn’t correct it “in camera” on a permanent basis, it only flags it in the RAW file. So if you open the same raw file with anything other than NX you still get the same vig. effect and it doesn’t do anything for the soft corners. This doesn’t fit my workflow as I use lightroom and CS/3. If I wanted to use this I would have to go NX—>Lightroom —> CS/3.

Yes, I could use batches to process the files, but why should I have to after spending 20K on a lens?

Please keep in mind that I’m not saying that the D3 has made the lens unusable and that I’m throwing my toys. The lens is a stunner and still one of my favourites (taking second place only to the 85mm f1.4), however for the amount I spent on it I wouldn’t have thought that this would be an issue in future – something I tried to mitigate using a lesson I learnt from the “penny wise, pound foolish” school of photography (the “buy once” one).

There are many lessons to learn as we go along, another one I learnt from my fellow ODP members is “the best lens to use is the one you have, until it becomes unusable”. At the moment this is a lens I have and I’ll continue to use it, until it is no longer fit for purpose.

• jasperjohn
    Participant

@peter R Betts 104569 wrote:

As I use my 70-200 VR about 95% of the time on a non vignetting crop camera D200 I was eventually in a couple of years time going to upgrade this to the FX Nano VRII version…However has anyone heard of this same problem on the 200-400 on an FX camera….D3 plus 200-400…VIVID any ideas as you use this combo…dont ever want to go to FX if it is a problem as this lens was brought out when Nikon only had DX cameras ….is there Vignetting

I have not noticed any serious vignetting problems with my D3/200-400 combo. If there is a problem, it is not obvious.

• jasperjohn
    Participant

@papa-g 104305 wrote:

Partial reply to Henke’s post

I am discovering the joys of fast manual focus primes on the D200 (so the ISO and AF issues just fade away..)

I also have some classic f2.8 glass (80-200 f2.8 d + 35-70 f2.8) but the fast primes simply have the edge on IQ.. (85 f1.4 and the 105 f2.5)

I follow the forums with regards to the AF performance and high ISO image quality of the D300 and D3 (I would love a D3) and see that the next evolution bodies will be bigger, better, faster etc and sadly as an amateur I simply cannot afford to follow suit.

When the D200 came out it was hailed as something really special – only to have the D300 “blow it into the weeds” so will the D400 do the same to the D300 ? (or fix the AF issues that are plaguing the D300 at the moment..)

So to come back to professional glass with AFs and VR there are some lenses in the Nikon lineup that have huge drool factor (+ the price tag..!) I would love to own but simply cannot afford to hence my going back to the old MF lenses (which meter perfectly on the D200)

Just realized I am woffling on here..:D

But yes old nikkor glass rocks..!

I presume you have changed the focusing screen?

• Christo Joubert
    Participant

jaykay;104747 wrote:
    I presume you have changed the focusing screen?

Not yet (still using the green dot..) but am looking for a “KatzEye” screen. I know you can get a Chinese version but I am a bit nervous about the quality.

I am going to Oshkosh this year and will try and get the screen while I am over there.

Geoff

• cronje
    Participant

Peter ,

I am suprised that you have not yet been blathering on about this

Nikon posts Record Profits (International)

Nikon Posts Record Profits (Local)

Unless of course you have — in which case it is me blathering 😀

KZNChris

• cobie coetzee
    Participant

The D700 rumour mill is still hard at work I see…and although this has been doing the rounds for a while it seems to be churning them out a little faster and a bit more seriously.

http://asia.cnet.com/2008/06/19/nikon-s-mid-range-full-frame-dslr/?scid=rss_c_crv

Personally I’ll believe it when I read the announcement on the Nikon site or on DPreview.

• Christo Joubert
    Participant

Just go back to when Nikon starting dropping “official” hints as to what was going to be the next generation (D300 and D3) this went on for a good while and it really got things going.

So far not a peep from Nikon..

And as seen on another forum

“I bought my D700 from e-bay for $2500 and it is being delivered from Nigeria..”

So I will wait patiently…

Geoff

• KCLouCorbett
    Participant

Well, my principle to new camera rumors are simple. If the product is not released and cant be purchased, it is still a rumor. That was including the D300 and D3 to me. Lots of people were playing with them before they hit the market, but if a consumer can’t buy it, it doesn’t exist.

Rumors tend to get out of hand quickly. E.g. The D700 will be a 35MP Full Frame, 126 crosspoint focus, ISO1200000000, Super duper AI to help photographer, brain wave detector, live view from your retina…..you get the idea.

• donkey
    Participant
  • cobie coetzee
    Participant

@Blue Shirt 104015 wrote:

I think your dream is about to come true – minus the VR perhaps. The forums are abuzz with new gear being announced in the first two weeks of Feb. 1 body and quite a few lenses. Some of them may be fast primes, some may be zooms but it all looks quite exciting:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=34154339

• Crunchie007
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx