/////New Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Pricing
New Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Pricing2009-11-05T19:12:49+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses New Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Pricing

New Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Pricing

• Author
    Participant

Everybody was speculating that the new lens would be nudging R30000 when it becomes available on 27 Nov 2009 in RSA and that the VRI current edition will keep its value at around R23000 I read in the forum. Well nice surprise the Orms price = roughly the same price as ODP is R24595 and their price on the the current version is R23495 or R1100 difference…Great stuff but it will also mean that the 2nd hand price of the current version will also drop drastically from those giddy R20000 expectations and I see Mark Dumbleton has got one on today’s classifieds for R14000 which makes sense…Anything more and a buyer might as well get the new version…well done Foto Distributors…I may just buy local now and boy amI glad I sold when I did as frustrating as it was in Kruger :cool::cool::cool:

• Anonymous

Yup, the new VRII seems very well priced Peter and less than many expected, you were, as always, correct again.

The difference is that yes, you sold for a couple grand more, however, some who kept theres for just a little longer than you made far more than a couple of grand out of using it in the mean time when you didn’t have yours :).

The current version remains a fantastic lens, especially for DX bodies and at R14k is under priced imo, so anyone wanting one should snap up Marks ad very quickly.

When are you getting your new one Peter ?

• Jola
    Participant

The Orms price is reasonable (just), but I have not seen an ODP price, where did you see that, Peter ? I can’t find it on their ODP Shop site.

I suppose that I had better get some local quotes and get an order in.

I also don’t understand why Mark is selling his 70-200VR so low, but there is also an as new D700 in the Classifieds that is also not moving at a reasonable price. Maybe the poor economic conditions are having an impact on people’s buying abilities, and depressing current used prices ?

• Peter Betts
    Participant

No Jola…I assume ODP prices will be in the ball park of others like Orms give or take a few Rand here and there..I was just pleasantly surprised at the price even though it is still dam expensive but certainly a good 5K cheaper than I was led to believe from reading here…Its a no brainer…only R1100 more than its predesessor and look what you get…
    1. Shorter lens…ease of use on a jeep or vehicle and for putting ina bag when not in use
    2. 7 ED elements instead of 5
    3. VR II instead of VR I
    4. Nano Coat
    5. FX ABILITY in addition to DX
    6. Sharp corners so can now use for landscapes
    7. Future resale value although I will never get rid of this new lens whenever I am able to get it as it has ALL that I want…the future VR III will probably have a video function or whatever…not needed in my case but I did want Nano , FX ability, Shorter to takea 1.7x in the bag , Corner sharpness and faster and better VR

• Anonymous

@jola 178592 wrote:

The Orms price is reasonable (just), but I have not seen an ODP price, where did you see that, Peter ? I can’t find it on their ODP Shop site.

I suppose that I had better get some local quotes and get an order in.

I also don’t understand why Mark is selling his 70-200VR so low, but there is also an as new D700 in the Classifieds that is also not moving at a reasonable price. Maybe the poor economic conditions are having an impact on people’s buying abilities, and depressing current used prices ?

When it comes to buying second hand, the same product can usually be bought grey & new for the same price as local second hand gear.

I think that is the reason that D700 is sitting.

• Jola
    Participant

@Zulik 178628 wrote:

When it comes to buying second hand, the same product can usually be bought grey & new for the same price as local second hand gear.

I think that is the reason that D700 is sitting.

That’s probably right, and the warranty situation is the same with both.

• streak
    Participant

That’s very good news.

On the used side both the D700 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR 1 advertised are priced only slightly less then the price of new product if imported including VAT.

I have not sold much, but when I have and I do want the product to sell, I pitch the price such that it is much cheaper than buying a new one from anywhere.

• PierreK
    Participant

that D700 in the classifieds is also grey BTW… 😉

• Jola
    Participant

@streak 178639 wrote:

On the used side both the D700 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR 1 advertised are priced only slightly less then the price of new product if imported including VAT.

How do you get that ?

A bare 70-200VR from B&H would cost you about R18 000 (including VAT & shipping) if you imported it right now at the current exchange rate, which is fairly good. And that is the grey market version, not the authorised USA version, so it does not have an International Warranty. The USA version that comes with the International Warranty is no longer available.

Don’t know about the D700, haven’t done that sum. BTW, dSLR’s don’t have International Warranties, so grey or Authorised USA, its all the same.

• Anonymous

@pierrek 178648 wrote:

that D700 in the classifieds is also grey BTW… 😉

Yup, as the advertiser states.

With such a low shutter count is it great value though ? if so why is it sticking ? :confused:

• Anonymous

@john deakin 178651 wrote:

With such a low shutter count is it great value though ? if so why is it sticking ? :confused:

Becase for less than R23k I can get a brand new D700 US version delivered to my door all in. Includes 3 year Mack guarantee. If something goes wrong, the local supplier will cover the cost to get it to NIKON USA and back to me. For 3 years.

Why buy second hand grey for R23k with no backup then?

• Jola
    Participant

Just done the sums, you could bring it in for just over R24 000 from B&H.

So it is worthwhile, but maybe he should drop the price a bit more (R22 000).

Update : I see that Zulik has also provided a similar but even better explanation.

• Anonymous

@jola 178658 wrote:

Just done the sums, you could bring it in for just over R24 000 from B&H.

So it is worthwhile, but maybe he should drop the price a bit more (R22 000).

BH will not ship bodies to South Africa.

Try and order one and you will see.

There are local guys who do all the work for you, and will look after the US guarantee for you.

• streak
    Participant

@jola 178650 wrote:

How do you get that ?

A bare 70-200VR from B&H would cost you about R18 000 (including VAT & shipping) if you imported it right now at the current exchange rate, which is fairly good. And that is the grey market version, not the authorised USA version, so it does not have an International Warranty. The USA version that comes with the International Warranty is no longer available.

Don’t know about the D700, haven’t done that sum. BTW, dSLR’s don’t have International Warranties, so grey or Authorised USA, its all the same.

You are right on the lens I used a base price from memory which was wrong.
    On the D700, unless the price is much lower I would rather buy local and pay extra to get the local warranty, unless I had an opportunity to buy while overseas.

• Jola
    Participant

IMO the best place to buy a dSLR body is in the UK, because then you can get a two year Nikon UK warranty (certain models only ? not sure ?) – you do need a friend with a UK address, though. And the UK body prices have been quite good of late. But better to buy it while there on a visit.

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@streak 178639 wrote:

That’s very good news.

I have not sold much, but when I have and I do want the product to sell, I pitch the price such that it is much cheaper than buying a new one from anywhere.

Thats one of the sound business reasons that I import at times…Camera/lens equipment depreciates fast…so buy cheap and sell at locally set prices and you remain in business…I guess that comes from beinga Sales animal all my life…Its all about financial survival…in my case…others just open the tap who cares…I have never had to think about warranties with Nikon in 40 yrs so it doesnt come in the equation at all

• Peter Betts
    Participant

D700X/S or D800:D:D

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@Zulik 178659 wrote:

BH will not ship bodies to South Africa.

Try and order one and you will see.

The above statement is not true…I have just ordered a D700 this morning and cancelled it 30 Secs later and the shipping is $148.25 UPS Expressto South Africa…B&H was allowed to drop the Body restriction ex USA shipping constraint about 2 yrs ago:D

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@peter Betts 178667 wrote:

D700X/S or D800:D:D

And South Africans struggle to find additional cash to spend on luxuries like a D700 which is a luxury to me and 99.999% of S African residents regardless of how good the deal is so that is why it is sticking I believe

• Anonymous

@peter Betts 178666 wrote:

Thats one of the sound business reasons that I import at times…Camera/lens equipment depreciates fast…so buy cheap and sell at locally set prices and you remain in business…I guess that comes from beinga Sales animal all my life…Its all about financial survival…

A sales animal all your life with sound business sense …………. were you not in the marketing field too ?

With these skills you must be making a fortune behind the scenes Peter. I hope you “remain in business” for many years to come and get a great return off your substantial investment in your photographic gear.

Why you have been looking for a job for the past few years and publicly moaning about lack of income at every opportunity is beyond me though.

• PierreK
    Participant

Why you have been looking for a job for the past few years and publicly moaning about lack of income at every opportunity is beyond me though.

well said as I do not think you are the only person wondering about this John 🙂

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@pierrek 178726 wrote:

well said as I do not think you are the only person wondering about this John 🙂

Pierre you obviously didnt go to a manly boarding school where they played rugby and taught any manners. I have a 26 yr old son and he wouldnt dare talk to me like this but then he is not a bottom feeder and is a born leader and well educated sportsman with manners earned and learned at a good East Cape boarding School…John is a pensioner at 50 odd and gets 12:1 exchange ratio and has access to unlimited funds so he doesnt know what he is talking about either.

• Anonymous

Here Peter goes again

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx