ND110 – 10 stops2010-06-07T13:26:20+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment Other Camera Equipment ND110 – 10 stops

ND110 – 10 stops

• Author
    Participant

I did a search on the following title “ND110” but with no luck and was wondering if anyone in the forum used them before ?
    if so

1. Where can I get one
    2. How do you work out how long the shutter needs to stay open if in Aperture mode mine just says “Lo” when subjects to dark

• adejager
    Participant

I don’t think it is called a ND110 – but I assume you are looking for a 10 stop Neutral Density filter? Search for the Hoya ND400 (9 stop) or B+W 110 (10 stop). I couldn’t find them in SA though.

The general procedure for long exposure shots is to compose and meter without the filter in aperture priority. Switch to manual focus to prevent the camera from trying to AF – since it will not work with a 10 stop filter in the way. Take note of the shutter speed suggested in aperture priority mode. Now switch to manual mode and set the aperture just like before and decrease the shutter speed by 10 stops (or 9 stops in the case of the Hoya). Screw on the filter and take the shot. You might need a remote to get really long exposures.

• Deneys
    Participant

@synapseza 206415 wrote:

I don’t think it is called a ND110 – but I assume you are looking for a 10 stop Neutral Density filter? Search for the Hoya ND400 (9 stop) or B+W 110 (10 stop). I couldn’t find them in SA though.

The general procedure for long exposure shots is to compose and meter without the filter in aperture priority. Switch to manual focus to prevent the camera from trying to AF – since it will not work with a 10 stop filter in the way. Take note of the shutter speed suggested in aperture priority mode. Now switch to manual mode and set the aperture just like before and decrease the shutter speed by 10 stops (or 9 stops in the case of the Hoya). Screw on the filter and take the shot. You might need a remote to get really long exposures.

Thanks for the reply make sense.

• Deneys
    Participant

I couldn’t find them in SA though.

Did you import ?

• adejager
    Participant

Just a small clarification: You can use AF during composition before you screw the filter on, just switch to MF before you take the shot.

• adejager
    Participant

@deneys 206419 wrote:

Did you import ?

Got one in the UK. Maybe someone else on here knows of a SA supplier?

As an aside, if you have loads of cash to burn (:D), Singh-Ray makes an adjustable ND filter (http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html) as well as an adjustable ND/CPL combo (http://www.singh-ray.com/varinduo.html).

• janosa
    Participant

I have a B+W ND110 filter and am quite happy with it. It is not neutral though, which can be a bit of a pain. It has a fairly strong reddish cast to it, but that can be taken care of with a custom WB. Just be aware of it. It is also by far the heaviest filter I own with a very solid brass ring. Typical exposure with the filter in place on a summer afternoon is iso100, f11, 60 seconds. During twilight you’ll be shooting 6 minute exposure or longer. For some reason my camera does not meter accurately with the filter in place, and the meter under-exposes by about 2-3 stops. As mentioned, just focus and meter with the filter removed and add 10 stops. I’d also suggest a very sturdy tripod if you are considering this filter.

To give you an idea of what it can do, this was shot at about 4-5 pm in December. The waves have nearly no shape at all over 60 seconds.
    4181667022_783ce6915a.jpg

I believe the 9 stop Hoya x400 is available here in SA through various channels, though it won’t be regularly stocked item. Try the ODP shop and see if they can order one for you. I could not find a supplier for B+W in SA so I imported from the US.

• Stanberg
    Participant

I bought an ND400 from a fellow ODP member who imported a couple of them
    Much easier to use if you have Live View on your camera
    Took this shot with the ND400

• Krypty
    Participant

Also imported mine, just PM me and I can send you more details in regards to it.

Comes to about R700 – R800

To be honest I have not had any problems with a red cast on mine.

Here is some examples of what I did

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=221474&ppuser=14687

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=221186&ppuser=14687

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=215043&ppuser=14687

• Deneys
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies. That is exactly the effect I’m after.

janosa,Stan Blumberg,Krypty Stunning work and Krypty my PM is on its way.

• dFe
    Participant

Also search the net for FADER ND, it’s essentially a copy of the Singh-Ray, but much more affordable.

• HeinrichR
    Participant

@ 206499 wrote:

.. search the net for FADER ND, it’s essentially a copy of the Singh-Ray, but much more affordable.

Should any one decide to go for FADER ND just have a look at this thread 🙁 , and look at the examples posted there

• Deneys
    Participant

@heinrichr 206505 wrote:

Should any one decide to go for FADER ND just have a look at this thread 🙁 , and look at the examples posted there

Thanks for the heads up I’m going to stick to Hoya or B+W I’v only heard good things about these filters so far. I just hope they make them for the 82mm diameter lens :confused: I have email a supplier I’m just waiting for there reply

Thanks again

• Deneys
    Participant

Just got a reply from the supplier the next best thing he said is the Formatt filter ND2.4 +- a 8 stop.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/668968-REG/

As B+W and hoya don’t make those filters for a 82mm diameter lens.

Has any one used this filter before ? is it any good ?

I did a google but came back empty.

• adejager
    Participant

Formatt is also sold as Hitech – so try a search for that.

Here is a post on another forum with an example of the 3.0 ND/10 stop Formatt. He also used a .6 Cokin Grad which left a magenta colour cast.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=9807347&postcount=408

You could always stack .9ND Hoyas, but that could lead to vignetting. Are you using a very wide angle lens?

• HeinrichR
    Participant

Seems like 10stops are hard to find, I see you have Cokin filters what about Lee big stop, a square 4″x4″ filter @ 10 stops, but that store doesnt have stock.

• Krypty
    Participant

I use the Formatt ND Grad (Hitech Filters) and they are very good.

Deneys, I am sending you the link.

• Deneys
    Participant

I use the Formatt ND Grad (Hitech Filters) and they are very good.

Deneys, I am sending you the link.

Thanks Krypty got the PM will have a look at their Website

Seems like 10stops are hard to find, I see you have Cokin filters what about Lee big stop, a square 4″x4″ filter @ 10 stops, but that store doesnt have stock.

Thanks HeinrichR in South Africa they are hard to find and even harder when it’s a 82mm.I’m trying to stay away from the square filters as they leak light on long exposures.

Formatt is also sold as Hitech – so try a search for that.

Here is a post on another forum with an example of the 3.0 ND/10 stop Formatt. He also used a .6 Cokin Grad which left a magenta colour cast.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/…&postcount=408

You could always stack .9ND Hoyas, but that could lead to vignetting. Are you using a very wide angle lens?

Thanks Synapseza I will do so and thanks for the link. I have a 10mm wide angle on a DX format.

Thanks again for the help and links will let you guys know what I end up with :rolleyes:

• HeinrichR
    Participant

When using filters , apart from ease of use, would there be any difference (image quality? glare?) when you mount the polarizer between the camera and neutral density filter as apposed to mounting the ND between the camera and polarizer

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx