Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras Mirrorless Cameras

Viewing 6 reply threads

Mirrorless Cameras

• Author
      Participant

I see the advantage of a mirrorless SLR camera, e.g. no “clunky” noise of moving mirror and no mechanical vibrations……Brilliant !
      Why then are modern SLRs not all using this technology ?

• Peter Connan
      Participant

Well, there are a number of disadvantages too.
      They typically drain their batteries much faster, the autofocus systems are usually not as responsive, and some people have issues adapting to the electronic viewfinders, among others.

• Gerd
      Participant

Hi Peter
      Thanks for your clarifications….
      I knoiw of a few people who are going for mirrorless, so the only advantage at this stage is really the absence of noise of the mirror action.

• SimonDP

My main issue with mirrorless cameras are the EVF – just cannot get my older eyes to judge focus accurately, remember the EVF shows what you are photographing, so deliberate underexposure is also shown in the EVF compounding the problem. Some EVF’s have a display lag, like the EOS R and RP making them less ideal for tracking faster moving subjects with tight framing.
      Also I have large hands, making the small bodies feel a little uncomfortable, more so if no battery grip is fitted. Battery life needs to improve considerably. Generallt the AF performance and sensors are good and up there is not better than some D-SLR’s, but the pricing is also a factor to be considered.

• Gerd
      Participant

Thanks Simon for your enlightenment.
      I can see the negative sides of mirrorless and I remember my first SLR camera of the 1960, which was a monstrous PENTAX made in East Germany and when the mirror worked you even felt it in your hands
      BUT it delivered acceptable images on film….The mirror movement remained,albeit much more refined and everybody seems happy with it and when I look at images which are generated by the modern SLR I must say like everybody else: Magnificent and one can even make prints in meter sizes. So, why then force a changeover to something which seems not to be ready to be introduced yet. The darkened viewfinder you mentiond I did not even contemplate.

• AllanBower
      Participant

Most of the big names (Sony, Nikon, Canon etc) are using the technology and it’s because of demand, and maybe because there is not a lot more that can be done on DSLR’s.
      Personally the only disadvantage for me is the cost of switching to mirrorless, but other than that I would go mirrorless tomorrow if I had the money. This “old man” is tired of lugging around big heavy bodied DSLR’s and lenses.
      The new Sony’s are brilliant as are their lenses. Check the specs and reviews on the Sony A9ii or A7Riv or even the “older” A9 & A7Riii as a comparison.
      The debate of DSLR v Mirrorless is going to rage on for some time, but Sony held the Full Frame market (Sony 38%, Canon 36% Nikon 24%) at the end of Dec 2019, indicating which way the market is leaning.
      It’s a personal choice for most togs. Both have advantages and disadvantages but switching to mirrorless has to its biggest disadvantage – the costs of starting again are horrendous. If I was just starting out I would only go mirrorless because that’s where the big R & D money is being spent.

• Gerd
      Participant

Hi Allan
      I hear you but I in turn love my HEAVY Canon 1D Mk4 and you know why?
      IT is quite heavy or shoud I rather say not too light ? Because I have large hands and a strong grip and I find tghat the heavier camera sits tighter and more comfortable in my hand and does not move like my other body, a D6. So, for me -if the shot does not take an eternity I definitely feel more comfortable with the D1.
      I am also not convinced that the mirrorless technology with its negatve points will not develop further and cancel out the current negatives I could for instance envisage a fully “solid state” shutter (light through / light not through) with shutter speeds down to 1/20.000 of a second or even Nanoseconds and the view finder could be a natural and exact copy of the actusl subject like through the lens… Maybe we will see tghat within the next 10 or 15 years ???!!!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In