Kgalagadi TP2009-08-10T20:45:25+02:00

Tagged: ,

Kgalagadi TP

• Author
    Participant

Planning a trip to KTP. Live in Cape Town.

Please can you share advice and tips on accommodation recommendations, routes, food, etc.

All advice greatly appreciated.

• Piet Venter
    Participant

We visited KTP for the first time in July 2009. Some advice for what it’s worth:

• I don’t know whether you are planning to camp or stay in chalets. We stayed in chalets at Twee Rivieren and Nossob and my comment below must be seen in that light.
    • Chalet accommodation is good but the camp shops are rather under-stocked.
    • IMHO Twee Rivieren should be regarded as a transit camp on the way in and/or out. Although it is quite nice, there is far too much activity in and around the camp to my liking. Especially guys racing to the gate a la “Paris to Dakar” style late afternoons. ๐Ÿ˜ก
    • Next time I will definitely try to get accommodation at Urikaruus, Kieliekrankie and similar, and avoid the bigger camps (not a suitable strategy if you have small children).
    • A friend said they stayed at the Kalahari Tented Camp. Very nice but VERY cold in July. If you prepare well, you should be OK.
    • The road from Twee Rivieren to Leeudril and beyond is closed for major repairs at the moment. This limits game drive options from Twee Rivieren.
    • The sand roads are very corrugated but a bit of care whilst driving takes care of the nonsense. It reminded me of a sign at Kozi Bay: “Please fasten bra straps and remove dentures”. However, there are no potholes as we have become used to on SA’s tarred roads. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ We were fortunate and did not have any problems or lose anything from our vehicles due to vibrations. Just drive sensibly. I did, however, meet somebody at Nossob whose 4X4’s rear shocks failed due to the corrugations and his heavy off-road trailer. I did not envy them their trip back home.
    • I was surprised to see an old Fiat Uno, an Opel Corsa Lite and various other “tar road” vehicles in the centre of KTP. I believe their view of the animals and veldt may have been impaired as a high vehicle is necessary imo – the road surfaces are below the surrounding veldt. The road conditions did not affect them adversely though.
    • We took all our meat, fresh produce, milk, cheese, water and fruit juices (fermented or otherwise :)) with us. We took frozen meat in well insulated cooler boxes and kept the meat in the freezer compartments in the chalets when we were not travelling from camp to camp. It may not be necessary to take your drinking water along, but we do not like brackish water.
    • Be sure to order fresh bread and “buns” (potbrood en roosterkoek) from reception at Nossob. The ladies bake the bread after hours and it is delivered piping hot to your chalet/camp site around 18:30. It is a treat not to be missed.
    • We were able to buy fuel at Mata-Mata, Twee Rivieren and Nossob whenever we needed to fill up.
    • The last cellphone coverage is a couple kilometers outside Twee Rivieren – bliss as far as I am concerned. There are no Telkom connections and public telephones in KTP.
    • Dust, dust and more dust. Expect to get it into every nook and cranny of your vehicle; your hair, ears, teeth, etc; and unfortunately your camera equipment irrespective of how careful you may be. I saw my first dust bunnies on images on our second last day as the result of the one and only careful lens swop the previous evening.
    • The staff at all the camps (with the exception of one lady at Nossob’s reception) were extremely friendly and helpful.
    • In general, visitors are also very friendly and seem to be nature lovers. Unfortunately you will run into the occassional 1d10t and/or drunken lout.
    • The more effort and care you put into planning and preparing for the trip, the more you will enjoy it once you are there. I am not thinking of scheduling your days’ activities – food, drink, emergency thingies like anti-freeze for your neighbour’s vehicle, etc. Let the rest of the day unfold as it may choose to do.

I hope you enjoy your visit to KTP. We are already planning our next visit. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    PM me for my cellphone number if you want to discuss preparation, planning, etc with me in person.

• Corne
    Participant

Hi

I would echo Piet’s comments – with a small caveat that sightings are unpredictable by nature and I have recently heard of brilliant (and rare) sightings near Twee Rivieren. On our recent nine day trip to KTP, we stayed in Mata-Mata for the first two days and TR for the last two – the rest was spent in Nossob.

Depending on you inherent stress levels and your timing/luck, the roads are tolerable. Once you have tasted the luxury of a freshly scraped road, you may however be spoilt (for a least a day or 2)!

It is a fair distance from the Mountain, we travel with 2 six year olds and found the best way to cope is to take the Calvinia/Brandvlei road up to Kakamas/Upington for a sleep over. We then stock up on meat etc. the next morning at Upington’s finest, and could easily reach Mata-Mata (and still have something of the first day in KTP). On the return journey, we leave TR just as the gate opens and travel through the day to reach Cape Town in the early evening. This is all done without excessive speeding and a leisurely family meal at the Klawer Engen.

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@corne 166821 wrote:

Hi

Depending on you inherent stress levels and your timing/luck, the roads are tolerable. Once you have tasted the luxury of a freshly scraped road, you may however be spoilt (for a least a day or 2)!

I can remember in the 1980’s when I used to go to Nossob in my Corolla Station wagon and travel on SMOOTH roads and be the ONLY tourist there for a 3 week stay in PRIME April May tourist season…pretty lonely at night…now its ruined with all the trails, 4×4’s speedig on hard tyres through ignorance and with the 5 new lodges along the river planned you can kiss that park goodbye

• Troy.Constandakis
    Participant

Piet – Thanks for such a detailed reply. It really is appreciated.

Thank you Peter and Corne for your comments, especially the route.

Corne- I am assuming you entered through TR?

Piet – What is Mata Mata like at the moment. I remember an earlier thread post saying that there was hectic construction at Mata Mata and that there were no animals in that area.

A couple of other questions:

1. Are predator sightings more regular than Kruger.
    2. Can you get away with just a 200-400mm lens (to avoid having to change lenses) or is it best to have a 70 – 200mm on and use the 200-400 if I have to?
    3. What are the prime areas/ routes to spot game?

Thanks

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@troy_constandakis 166937 wrote:

Piet – Thanks for such a detailed reply. It really is appreciated.

Thank you Peter and Corne for your comments, especially the route.

Corne- I am assuming you entered through TR?

Piet – What is Mata Mata like at the moment. I remember an earlier thread post saying that there was hectic construction at Mata Mata and that there were no animals in that area.

A couple of other questions:

1. Are predator sightings more regular than Kruger.
    2. Can you get away with just a 200-400mm lens (to avoid having to change lenses) or is it best to have a 70 – 200mm on and use the 200-400 if I have to?
    3. What are the prime areas/ routes to spot game?

Thanks

Hi Troy I interchange my 70-200 and 200-400 all the time no matter where…thats why I havea DSLR…just watch the dust
    Predator sightings are easier than Kruger because the road is in the river beds and that is where the game is…In Kruger where I go you have to work on your predator sightings…know your subject and track accordingly bty listening etc…In KTP you just drive along the road and there they are …if a windmill coming up has no animals standingaround invariably there are cats…easier thana zoo and on par with lodges who find the cats for you…no skill required….Sometimes it even gets easier in KTP with all the overcrowding these days…just look for 2-10 vehicles up ahead stopped and bob’s your aunty
    Routes are river beds

Predators are everywhere…Cheetaha mainly in the Auob and Lions more plentiful in the Nossob valley generally but lions can do 50 kms a night there so they can be anywhere in the valleys…I havea special place for lion…Polentswa but you have to book in Gabs Botswana for that

• Troy.Constandakis
    Participant

Thanks Peter.

Ja, i meant changing lenses because of dust (as per Piets comment)

• Piet Venter
    Participant

Troy, game sightings seem to be easier in KTP because of the wide open spaces. The disadvantage is that the animals can be quite far off. Lens choice is a matter of personal preference, i.e. what you want to shoot. I found that I used my 200/400mm more than the 70/200mm. However, I wished for a 600mm for birds. Peter Betts is known to be better at changing lenses without getting dust on the sensor than I am. I therefore avoid lens changes as far as possible.

There is a lot of building activity – and therefore noise and dust – at Mata-Mata at the moment and I would avoid staying there until the new chalets have been completed. It should then be a wonderful camp to visit. However, there is a female cheetah with four cubs near Mata-Mata and sightings were reported every day. Unfortunately we never saw her. Sightings of leopard were also more frequent in the Mata-Mata area than near Nossob which seems to be lion (and jackal) country.

There aren’t that many routes in KTP – up and down the Aob river bed or up and down the Nossob river bed. ๐Ÿ™‚ Nossob seems to be best for lion, heyna, jackal and bateleur while Craig Lockhart and Dalkeith south of Mata-Mata seem to be favoured by leopard and cheetah. I have not visited the area more than about 50 km north of Nossob so I don’t know what to find there. Twee Rivieren offers a mixed bag but unfortunately one of the two options (the route up the Nossob via Leeudril) is closed for road construction. Obviously springbok, gemsbok and other herbivores are plentiful all over the park, as are various hawk, eagle and owl species, LBRs, bee-eaters, Sociable Weavers and LBJs.

I don’t share Peter’s optimism that seeing cats in KTP is easier than in a zoo. ๐Ÿ™‚ Nor do I share his pessimism about the hordes of tourists although it is admittedly busier than 10 or so years ago. Friends have just returned from a visit to KTP and reported that it was very quiet in terms of tourists. They were the only people at Nossob one night during their stay. They saw a lioness with three young cubs every day near Nossob.

Believe me, if you are bored in the KTP there must be something seriously wrong with you. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Which reminds me of meeting someone who had also driven in vain from Twee Rivieren to Mata-Mata and back to look for the cheetah family as we did. When he asked what we saw, I mentioned Bat-eared Foxes, eagles, jackal, gemsbok, Bee-eaters and … and … and… “We also only saw rubbish” was his reply. I would gladly have him banned from any game park forever and a day. ๐Ÿ˜ก

• Geurt
    Participant

@Piet Venter 166974 wrote:

…..
    Believe me, if you are bored in the KTP there must be something seriously wrong with you. …… “We also only saw rubbish” was his reply……

Aaaaah well Piet, my own experience is that the Kalahari is a love-hate relationship, always. You either love the place to pieces or you just simply hate it.

I have been there many times and will continue to do so, but we have friends who were there once with us and they will never, ever return and it is not that they do not appreciate nature, to the contrary, they are fanatic Kruger visitors themselves. They just simply hated the desert’s quietness, the personalities of the frequent visitors at the camps and the bare nothingness. They could not “see” anything either, even driving in front of us, they passed stuff we stopped at.

Said with a quiet Kalahari greeting to you all,

• jab2
    Participant

Reminded me of the time me and the wife were sitting at the side of the road watching a Bat Eared Fox den with pups. Vehicle after vehicle came speeding up, braking in a cloud of dust, surveying the area we were watching, only to drive on with puzzled looks on their faces. The foxes were too far for photographs, even with the 600mm I had then, so we just sat there watching them with binos.
    Only two vehicles asked us what we were watching and both showed no interest after being told, “Bat Ear Fox pups”.

• Piet Venter
    Participant

You are so right, Geurt – not everybody likes the Kgalagadi/Kalahari/Namib. And there isn’t necessarily “something seriously wrong” with those that don’t. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I was a bit over zealous in expressing my personal opinion.

• Helenus Kruger
    Participant

Although all the points raised here are valid I am scared that some might be put off by it and not go to KTP.

Don’t be put off, it is still one of the nicest, if not the nicest national park in SA.

As said, I agree with the negative points raised, but that does not mean you have to avoid the KTP.

We’ve been there in May, our second visit, and I just love the place. It has got this wilderness feel to it. The area is large and although the camps are usually fully booked I never got a overcrowded feel. At all our sightings and this include lions, we’ve been either alone or max 4 vehicle. Compared to the Kruger this was bliss.

If you are not only focusing on the big cats and appreciate the smaller things you will be alone next to the road, the animals all to yourself. Amazing how people, apparent nature lovers, just jaag from one point to the other, stopping only for the cats.

If you are a birder you will be in 7th heaven. The most irritating is the others that jaag past you, some times scaring the birds to fly away.

The Helenus KTP rules:

1. Leave your sedan at home. Roads are bad but most of all you will not see well as the roads are lower than the veld with a high “walletjie”. BUT, if a sedan is all you’ve got, do still go. Or rent one in Upington. The best 4×4 is a Avis City Golf:D

2. Don’t complain about the bad roads, this is keeping away the masses.

3. Avoid Twee Rivieren except for overnight stops or those who cannot tow their normal caravans deeper in the park. It’s a busy busy camp.

4. Mata Mata generator is very irritating. Although the camp is nice with ablutions recently upgraded and a brand new swimming pool the noise will drive you crazy.

5. Don’t bargain on the shops for anything, stock up in Upington.

6. Buy freshly baked bread and roosterkoek from the girls in Nossob. Ask at reception.

7. Don’t rely on fuel. It can run out. Fill up when you can and don’t leave it till the last day.

8. And lastly, no KTP trip is complete without a visit to the much wilder Mabuasehube. So if you’ve got the vehicle and can rough it without water / shops and do with a long drop and your own shower, go for it. You won’t regret it.

Enjoy.

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@Helenus Kruger 167094 wrote:

Although all the points raised here are valid I am scared that some might be put off by it and not go to KTP.

Don’t be put off, it is still one of the nicest, if not the nicest national park in SA.

We’ve been there in May, our second visit,

we’ve been either alone or max 4 vehicle. Compared to the Kruger this was bliss.

If you are a birder you will be in 7th heaven.

The most irritating is the others that jaag past you, some times scaring the birds to fly away.

The Helenus KTP rules:

1. Roads are bad but most of all you will not see well as the roads are lower than the veld with a high “walletjie”.

2. Don’t complain about the bad roads, this is keeping away the masses.

3. Avoid Twee Rivieren

6. Buy freshly baked bread and roosterkoek from the girls in Nossob. Ask at reception.

Enjoy.

Helenus I agree with alot of what you say and I have deleted ythose points I agree with but after 43 trips from 1964 under the belt this is what I know or have experienced

Agreed it is a great Park but it has so many people now that the water table is dropping and water is drying up at Nossob more regularly partly due to too many people but mainly by too many city dwellers who have just bought a Suburu and Echo Trailer and dont understand the value of water and insist on having 30- min showers and wash their cars in camp…One guy in a brand new Prado reversed into a tap in his hurry to get to the gate at Nossob to secure his 8th place in the que as lions were roaring up the road all night. He didnt even bother to help after he got out to inspect if there was any damage to his new toy and then sped to the gate as his family followed on foot with all the thermoses etc. Water to him works like this in Sandton…You turn a tap on and pay the account a month later…forever. The water spouted into the air for 2 hours as I and a few old timers struggled to stem the flow and wastage caused by this idiot who should never have been there in the first place. We went right to Marie se Draai @ 09h00 and got Cheetah and cubs but mainly to misss the dusty circus north of camp. With 5 new lodges to be built along the Nossob River (Prime possies like Union End, Polentswa and Marie se Draai and the proposed opening of Union End…The Park will wither.. for want ofa better word. I treasure the days when I had Nossob to myself in PRIME April May for 3 weeks ata time and the roads were High and as smooth asa baby’s backside…ideal for my Corollas

I have just been to Kruger in high season and stayed at the unfashionable Mopani area..Tsendze…NO TRAFFIC…lion sightings on my own 100% of time for at least 20 minutes where only on VERY FEW occassions did a car appear. Obviously if you go to Disneyland South of Sabie River or the Zoo South of the Olifants then you get crowds

Birding in Summer there is 10 times better than May

We never used to have okes Jaaging past chasing anything away because invariably you were the only car on the road or the others were nature lovers …not the keep up with the latest fad brigade

Keeping away the masses …what about me who loves that Park and cant afford a 4×4 anymore…I would love to go back but I am not of the Wilderness masses

I also hate TR but for the last 5 years or so it has produced the best leopard and other sightings in the Park

We have always made our own bread…This must bea new thing…staff baked bread

I just find it sad that the politicians are ruining the Park…One should earn the right to go there to this fragile environment…It is a privaledge to be there and nota right

• Helenus Kruger
    Participant

Noted Peter.

I still love the park in spite of me been a newbie and perhaps not yet experience the best or the worst of the park.

Just to clarify a perhaps wrong impression created by myself: I never meant that my remark about the roads must come over as if I am pro- 4×4 and anti-sedan. Or that sedan people should not be allowed or kept out or whatever.

I also drive a sedan and has been to many bad road areas with it.

What I was trying to say, and we did experience this at our other favorite park, Mapungubwe, is that is seems that the bad corrugated roads is the reason why the park may not be so overcrowded and that you can still get out of season bookings very easily.

I hope this explains my remark about the roads, I don’t want to get into a 4×4 / sedan / rich man poor man debate. Apologies if it was wrongly put and creating an impression I did not meant to. It’s this English writing thing with an Afrikaans brain that messing me around:D

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@Helenus Kruger 167105 wrote:

Noted Peter.

I still love the park in spite of me been a newbie and perhaps not yet experience the best or the worst of the park.

Just to clarify a perhaps wrong impression created by myself: I never meant that my remark about the roads must come over as if I am pro- 4×4 and anti-sedan. Or that sedan people should not be allowed or kept out or whatever.

I also drive a sedan and has been to many bad road areas with it.

What I was trying to say, and we did experience this at our other favorite park, Mapungubwe, is that is seems that the bad corrugated roads is the reason why the park may not be so overcrowded and that you can still get out of season bookings very easily.

I hope this explains my remark about the roads, I don’t want to get into a 4×4 / sedan / rich man poor man debate. Apologies if it was wrongly put and creating an impression I did not meant to. It’s this English writing thing with an Afrikaans brain that messing me around:D

Hey Helenus…no problem…Hell for 20 yrs I went there ina Hilux and then Defender…did all those Mabuasehube and Polentswa trails etc…lived at Bitterpan on every trip … Jou Engels is perfek:D

• Jaded
    Participant

Just a little tip here with regards to TR – quite right the camp is very busy and noisy BUT if you zip across to Two Rivers on the Bots side, they have a peaceful camping site that hardly anyone goes to (well up until a year ago) I have generally come in through the Bots side while they had the devil road but now its been tarred (a little sad about that)

• Francois Loubser
    Participant

I may be going to the kgalagadi in november, I read the post and have a few questions. I use a 7d and 1dm2. I have a sigma 120-300(plus converter .4x). Should one pair one of the cameras with a 600mm or 500mm??. Also the waterhole at nossob is it close to the camp, is there a hide. I believe at other waterholes your vehicle is your hide:D. Lastly do you have to be in camp at a certain time, like in the Kruger. Any info will be appreciated

• Piet Venter
    Participant

For my last visit I attached a 500mm f4 plus 1.4X TC on my D3 (full frame) and a 70/200mm plus 1.7X TC on my D300 (1.5X crop factor). This worked perfectly and I avoided changing lenses and getting dust on the sensors. I suggest you do something similar with your cameras if possible.
    There is a hide plus waterhole at Nossob Camp – everywhere else your vehicle is your hide. There are many waterholes along the route; the closest to Nossob are Cubitje Quap (north; 10 km), Kwang (north; 23 km), Rooikop (south; 4 km) and Marie se Gat (south; ~10 km). I have had reasonable succes at Cubitje Quap and Kwang in the morning and Marie se Gat in the late afternoon. But you should also venture further away from camp.
    Gates open and close at specific times; the gate times vary depending on the time of year.
    Replied to your e-mail too.

@francois Loubser 217872 wrote:

I may be going to the kgalagadi in november, I read the post and have a few questions. I use a 7d and 1dm2. I have a sigma 120-300(plus converter .4x). Should one pair one of the cameras with a 600mm or 500mm??. Also the waterhole at nossob is it close to the camp, is there a hide. I believe at other waterholes your vehicle is your hide:D. Lastly do you have to be in camp at a certain time, like in the Kruger. Any info will be appreciated

• Petri Nienaber
    Participant

Did my first KTP trip about 3 weeks ago. Mata-Mata was number one for me because of the variaty of game there. Nossob was very disapointed but I know it was just bad luck. Marie se gat did delivered a great Lion sighting and really enjoyed the “kelkiewyne” at Qubitjie Quap. Used 500 on one body and 70-200 on the other. But i think 600 would be super.

Some advice. Be on the look out for Raptors u get really great photo opertunities with them.

P.S. Drove from cape town and stoped at namaqwaland , NO FLOWER:(, stoped at Augrabies, ALMOST NO WATER:(, got to KTP and it made up for namaqwa and augrabies.

I would recommend the brandvlei road from the cape.

• Francois Loubser
    Participant

Thanks Petri,pieter.

• Tony T
    Participant

3 more sleeps and i’m off to Kgalagadi – for the 3rd time this year! We were in Kruger last time this year but KTP holds something special for us.

Contrary to the negative rap about Twee Rivieren, we’re staying there for 4 nights. Don’t be put off TR. The ‘quieter’ camps in Kruger are busier than TR.

You may even see leopard at Samervloeing, but this trip is all about birds and photography for us.

I see discussion hear about some real fancy lenses. I’d give my teeth to own some of the hardware mentioned. Yes 500 or 600 primes are ideal for KTP but i had so much fun in March in with my setup. I tried out my new combo of 70-200 with a 1.4 TC on a 1.6 crop camera and I was absolutely satisfied with the results. Was one of my best trips to KTP as far as sightings and photo results go.

• Francois Loubser
    Participant

Hi Tony pleas ekeep us updated on your experience

• Tom
    Participant

Hi everyone…just started doing my planning for a trip next year. Need to find out…if you had a choice which would you do…camping? End March into April or June/July. I’ll be prepared for cold, but the misses might need some encouragement. We will be travelling with both tents & off-road camper, so the ladies will at least have some sort of insulation in the “Imagine”

Been there in summer & won’t do it again ’till the kids are a bit bigger thank you. Some of you might remember that unwise move from my side in 2007!

• Fanie
    Participant

@tom 218743 wrote:

Been there in summer & won’t do it again ’till the kids are a bit bigger thank you. Some of you might remember that unwise move from my side in 2007!

December will not see me there again either, its just too hot.

• Piet Venter
    Participant

We were there in July 2009 – VERY cold mornings (down to minus 7 C at Nossob). Went there in August 2010 expecting more cold weather and the lowest temperature we measured was (plus) 3 C.

• Seyms
    Participant

Hi Troy,

My 2C worth and a couple answers to your questions… ๐Ÿ˜€

You can get away with the 200-400, but definetly not for Birding….a 500 or 600 a must for birding….

Some of the waterholes are closer to the road than others…so with the 200-400 you will win some and lose some!

There are actually FAR LESS PREDATORS THAN KRUGER…..BUT :D…..there is no or not much water around in the Kalahari….so Lions stay close to Waterholes ( in my experiences…) and are best seen early morning at the waterholes. The magic of Kalahari is that at waterholes there is no grass, no bushes and no trees – SO IN OTHER WORDS LIONS / CHEETAHS in the Open and BRILLIANT photographic opportunities!!! :eek::D

Mata Mata for me is the best place to go…we have had Lions every single trip at 13th or 14th waterhole….we barely stay at Nossob…sands banks are high and the river beds in some places are easily 200m wide so if animals are on the other side of the river bed it makes it difficult for photography….Mata Mata is very open, very short grass and they have made some nice “loop” roads around the waterholes…off course this is just personal taste and some people swear by Nossob and have had great sightings there!

I have a Polo Classic and have never had a problem in the Kalahari….drive slowly and there should be no problems even in a small car.

To me Kalahari is the BEST place in the World for photography and even when “fully booked” you never get the feeling of being overcrowded like in Kruger Park!

Cheers

Seyms

• Seyms
    Participant

Tom – would definitely recommend March! My last two trips we went in June and lets just say that if you leave a Coke bottle by the Braai overnight – its a rock solid Ice block in the morning! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Very cold, we had -8 degrees almost every night

And just booked my next 2 trips to the Kalahari! ๐Ÿ˜€

19-27 March 2011 & 17 September for 2 weeks…can’t wait !!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Rob-Taylor
    Participant

I would like to try a trip to KTP and Namibia but I only have a Mahindra with 2 wheel drive and no diff lock. Is it still worth it? I realise there will be lots of out of reach places. can anybody give me an idea of routing?

• Jaded
    Participant

Tom – go for March! July is FREEZING and if you are camping can be really unpleasant for your family – well for me the cold just makes me miserable.
    I go the hottest months…and hope for the least people who can’t handle the heat..enjoy! KTP is a very special place. I still like the Nossob area better but always make the trip to Mata for a change of scenery and to say hellooo to the giraffes! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jaded
    Participant

@rob-taylor 218789 wrote:

I would like to try a trip to KTP and Namibia but I only have a Mahindra with 2 wheel drive and no diff lock. Is it still worth it? I realise there will be lots of out of reach places. can anybody give me an idea of routing?

Lots of people go in normal sedan cars – not a problem. The roads are pretty corrugated and shakes all vehicles up. You will be able to drive in most places in KTP and Namibia (Etosha) – in KTP its not advisable to do any of the dune road 4×4 trips like Mabuasehube or Polentswa. But the roads from TR to Nossob / Mata would be fine. Only time they stop all vehicles is if there is a downpour with lots of water in the road.

• hougaard malan
    Participant

I was there in January and it was hot as hell, but pretty much deserted. Big cat sightings got at the most 3 cars, camping sites were about 20% full and we saw at most 10 cars a day.

• andreklopper
    Participant

I just love the summer months in KTP

• Jaded
    Participant

@hougaard malan 218801 wrote:

I was there in January and it was hot as hell, but pretty much deserted. Big cat sightings got at the most 3 cars, camping sites were about 20% full and we saw at most 10 cars a day.

Thats the way I like it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Tom
    Participant

Thanks for all the input…will see if there is still space for the holidays. Eish I’m part of the holiday crowd as from next year!!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx