Karoo spots?2009-06-19T10:17:13+02:00

Karoo spots?

• Author
    Participant

I’m going to the Karoo next week. Weather looks promising.

2 days Prins Albert, I know Meiringspoort and the valley above it is great…any other spots?

2 days at the red stone hills outside calitzdorp…any good hiking trails or less well known spots?

2 days in the montague area…I know nothing about this place?

Any advice is appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

• jab2
    Participant

The entrance kloof to the Swartberg Pass, on Prince Albert side is worth a visit, late morning or early afternoon depends on which side of the cliffs you fine interesting. (Use the sunlight function in the new ver 5 of Goggle earth to judge shadows) The west side, so morning shot, has some nice yellow lichen over a huge area that give an extra colour tint to the orange sandstone. See eljay1’s photo “Face in the rocks” on the Panoramio layer on Google Earth at 33deg17′ 42.16″S/22deg 03′ 04.34″E for a view of the yellow lichin. But then a sundowner at the picnic spot (same co-ordinates) with the river noise gently in your ears, could just provide that extra inspiration for the eastern cliff face. (Just keep the inspiration within limits. Julle dorpenaars kan nie grondpad ry met ‘n dop in nie, veral nie in die donker nie. ;):D)

Another possible spot is the olive orchards of Jan Olyf on the Leeugamka gravel road (33deg 10′ 23.81″S/22deg 01′ 53.80″E). The blue/green contrast nice with the dry almost desert landscape. I’m not however sure if there is a nice high vantage point for a landscape.

I am out of touch with Nature Conservation, but a nice sunset shot would be over the Gamka Poort Dam (33deg 17′ 57.41″S/21deg 38′ 13.29″E). It is however a little bit of a drive and the roads was not too good when I last was there.

The koppie behind Prince Albert would give you a nice vista of town. Sunrise over Karoo town. Should be great. Only problem it’s straight into the sun, but since you have similar sun angle shots, it should be within your abilities.

From Meiringspoort, do not take the tar to Oudtshoorn, but turn right on the Oude Muragie road just outside De Rust (ยฑ1.5Km)(33deg 30′ 11’S/22deg 30’4.97″E). This road joins the Oudtshoorn/Swartberg Pass road just before the Kango caves. Very nice back road scenery. You also pass Rus en Vrede waterfall on your right(turn off 33deg 24′ 37,36″S/22deg 20′ 17.69″E). In shade so midday shots would be possible. You also pass the Raubenheimer dam on the right (33deg 24′ 36.58″S/22deg 17′ 02,07″E) and Kango Bergoord below the wall. As you hit the tar turn right towards the pass. Nice aloes and should be in full bloom as they are here in Mossel Bay.

Just before the tar ends (ยฑ1km) and the gravel start take a left on the Matjiesrivier road (33deg 23′ 30.99″S/22deg 06′ 32.10″E). It start as tar then turn to gravel. This road parallel the Oudtshoorn to Calitzdorp road, but just under the mountain. There will be two turn-offs to the left if you want to bail out and get to the tar, but if you carry on you will again see some backroad scenery, old abandoned houses, lots of aloes. This road goes past Groenfontein and Calitzdorp dam and enter Calitzdorp from the side at the NG church junction.

Enjoy. BTW it’s Klein Karoo. The Karoo only start north of the N1. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• iain
    Participant

Seweweekspoort is a super spot.

Remember that Karoo sunsets are absolutely stunning. I have also had great sunrise opportunities.

The town of Prince Albert itself has lovely opportunities. Walk the town for lovely architecture. Also at sunset..

I love the Karoo and have found it a rich source of photo opportunities all over the place. Most important get onto the dirt roads for best opportunities!!

• jab2
    Participant

Don’t tell me I wasted my time with this detailed reply.

More than two days on without a comment from the young man. ๐Ÿ™ :confused:

• Henk Coetzee
    Participant

@jab2 160843 wrote:

Don’t worry. I for one have taken note of your post and will follow up on it next time I’m in the Karoo.

• Deezil
    Participant

ditto!

• Hennie
    Participant

Also took note. Visited some of the places but was ignorant about others. Definately will make a turn next time.

• KoiErik
    Participant

@jab2 160843 wrote:

I have taken note, have copied the info into a word doc, and keeping it for when I can get out there, thank you very very much

• Mitchell Krog
    Participant

Also noted with thanks, hope to be down there soon again and this info is always useful. Thanks Cobus.

• Dogspy
    Participant

I’m sure the info benefit many of us, myself included. Thankyou!:)

• Alan Mason
    Participant

I am planning my annual holiday in that neck of the woods in December (extremely hot I take it) and have noted your comments. Thank you very much.

• GroenHoender
    Participant

In the last two copies of Weg! magazine (May and June) they have mentioned that they will drive / test / travel and also explore / visit the many unknown / unmentioned spots of the 5 Karoo pass / routes.

In the May version of Weg! they have a comprehensive article about the Swartberg pas (which Jab2 mentioned). There is also a new one about another Karoo pass in the June version. Both well worth to check out – very thorough, with interesting landscape/panorama images.

Even had details that people (like my family, who were raised in the Karoo, aren’t aware of it. When I was a kid, my family travelled a lot from Stellenbosch to Oudtshoorn (via the many various routes thru Montagu, Robertson, Prince Alberts, Meiringspoort, etc) . My wife was never before there so I am planning to take my wife there, once a year, to show her everything where I have grown up and experienced.

Jab2 has got it pretty good summarized. Your problem is that you don’t have enough time…you need a lifetime to experience the whole of the Klein Karoo. ๐Ÿ˜€

Most memorable moments for me, was camping out in the veldt (just outside Oudtshoorn, towards P.Alberts), with a group of people, with the Haley’s comet (back in the 1980’s). And when the army (at the Oudtshoorn military base) do their night exercises (all those light streaks across the clear Karoo nights).

• jannie
    Participant

are nieuwbetheste (i know this spelt very wrong, but someone will have the correct spelling) and graaf reneit in the karoo? Both are great especially neubies, you can go and have a beer with the goats. Nearby is a view point which i am sure would offer good sunrise opportunities and/or good light under the cloud type of shots (i hope you know what i mean).

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@jannie 161200 wrote:

are nieuwbetheste (i know this spelt very wrong, but someone will have the correct spelling) and graaf reneit in the karoo? Both are great especially neubies, you can go and have a beer with the goats. Nearby is a view point which i am sure would offer good sunrise opportunities and/or good light under the cloud type of shots (i hope you know what i mean).

Ja Jannie Nieu Bethesda is under snow at the moment and gives beautiful sunsets and Sunrises with the highest free standing mountain in the Eastern Cape …Compassberg asa backdrop…Also after Willowmore is the home to the best Border Collies in the world (Sheep workers asopposed to B&W Frisby/Agility types…big difference):cool::):D

• hougaard malan
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

I got one ‘okay’ sunset from atop the swartberg pass looking towards PA, but with bare minutes to find a foreground the results were dissapointing. The 2nd day was non stop rain from sunrise to sunset.

First day at red stone hills was also non stop rain, but it cleared to the end and I got some nice stuff on that road that goes to the cango caves. On the 2nd day I hiked up to the arch and got some dramatic weather over the vlaktes framed through the arch, though I don’t know how I’m going to process it as the DR is quite vast between arch and distant view. I walked back in pouring rain and had to cross a 1m deep strong flowing river with all my equipment. A harsh reminder of one of the downsides of this outdoor job ๐Ÿ˜€

I was amazed at the potential in seweweekspoort. Definitely high on my list of places to shoot.

It’s amazing too see all these places from the perspective I have now, compared to family trips from years ago:)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx