/////Is a camera upgrade advisable?
Is a camera upgrade advisable?2017-11-08T21:54:14+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics Beginners Forum Is a camera upgrade advisable?

Is a camera upgrade advisable?

• Author

Hi,

I currently shoot with a Canon 70D basic lens. I am more of an all-rounder when it comes to photography. I prefer nature and wildlife shots, but most of the time I shoot small functions and parties because of where I work. I have been looking into the Canon 7D which I know is better for wildlife photography, but I have also been looking into the Canon 80D and the Nikon D750 and D500. Would you recommend getting a new camera or upgrading the lens to a more professional lens?

• DaveK
    Participant

imo definitely not time to upgrade yet. May consider an additional lens, but you have not told us what lens you are using.
    At the level you are shooting, you will not notice any difference in output between any of the cameras you have listed.
    D

• Anonymous

@davek 298016 wrote:

imo definitely not time to upgrade yet. May consider an additional lens, but you have not told us what lens you are using.
    At the level you are shooting, you will not notice any difference in output between any of the cameras you have listed.
    D

I use a EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Peter Connan
    Participant

@Prestiek 298017 wrote:

I use a EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

For wildlife?

You will definately see more return on investment from lenses now than from a new camera.

• Anonymous

@peter Connan 298018 wrote:

For wildlife?

You will definately see more return on investment from lenses now than from a new camera.

I am not using the current lens for wildlife, i know it can’t really. I used to use my father’s Nikon but don’t have that type of money for a 70 – 300 lens and the set up he had.

Thank you for the advice i will look definitely look into a professional lens for now.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Surely a 70-300 is far cheaper than some of the cameras you mentioned in the first post.

In fact, the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 is considerably cheaper than either of the nikon cameras you mention, and that is a fantastic lens.

• Anonymous

@peter Connan 298020 wrote:

Surely a 70-300 is far cheaper than some of the cameras you mentioned in the first post.

In fact, the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 is considerably cheaper than either of the nikon cameras you mention, and that is a fantastic lens.

True, a 70-300 lens is cheaper than some of the other cameras i mentioned. I don’t have a Nikon i have a Canon 70D but i must still be able to do small functions as well. I am not looking for a wildlife lens, i just mentioned the preference to be considered if the current camera can’t handle the better lenses. Based on earlier recommendations i will be being professional lens instead of a new camera at this point.

• Anonymous

@Prestiek 298021 wrote:

True, a 70-300 lens is cheaper than some of the other cameras i mentioned. I don’t have a Nikon i have a Canon 70D but i must still be able to do small functions as well. I am not looking for a wildlife lens, i just mentioned the preference to be considered if the current camera can’t handle the better lenses. Based on earlier recommendations i will be being professional lens instead of a new camera at this point.

Sorry based on your earlier recommendation.

• DaveK
    Participant

for functions and parties being predominant activity, i would consider a good quality flash. Perhaps the next lens would be a 70-200f4, amazing IQ. Bit of wildlife, also very useful at parties outdoors. However, the 70-300 options would certainly give you a more wildlife like reach, especially on the crop sensor.

D

• Leo Theron
    Participant

@davek 298023 wrote:

for functions and parties being predominant activity, i would consider a good quality flash. Perhaps the next lens would be a 70-200f4, amazing IQ. Bit of wildlife, also very useful at parties outdoors. However, the 70-300 options would certainly give you a more wildlife like reach, especially on the crop sensor.

D

+1

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Depending on what type offunctions. Some frown on flash usage, in which case consider a nifty fifty (50mm f1.8)? That will give you about two stops more light and much better subject isolation at not much of an outlay.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx