Insuring rental lenses2017-08-02T08:38:42+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Insuring rental lenses

Insuring rental lenses

• Author
    Participant

Good morning.

I’ll be renting a 500mm lens for a few days and want to cover myself for the excess payable if the lens gets damaged or stolen while in my possession. does anyone have some advice for me on what the best way is to do this? I have contacted my insurance company and they want to charge me for an extra few hundred rand per month for 3 months, even though I only use the lens for 3 days. I’m just wanting to make sure there are no other options available to me before committing to this.

thanks,
    Lee

• elsahoffmann

Some rental companies charge you for insurance – but dont in fact HAVE any insurance, so read the fine print very carefully. Also – if it boils down to an excess – would would that be? The excess might be cheaper than the insurance premium (although that is doubtful)

Contact ODP office (number above) and check that their rental and insurance policy is – best to rent from a very reputable source – eg ODP 🙂

• Lee-ann
    Participant

Thanks Elsa. I am renting from ODP but the lens carries a value of R120000 and they charge a 20% of the value if there is loss or damage. do R24000 if something goes wrong 🙁 the insurance premium quoted is R308/month for 3 months…so R1000. I was just interested to see if anyone has come across a company that specializes in this kind of cover.

• elsahoffmann

I am not sure what you shoot – if you shoot NIkon – you might as well buy a 200-500 🙂

• Peter Connan
    Participant

I think a grand over three months is pretty reasonable?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx