/////I don’t Canon much, But need some Body help
I don’t Canon much, But need some Body help2017-07-03T08:06:14+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras I don’t Canon much, But need some Body help

I don’t Canon much, But need some Body help

• Author
    Participant

😉
    Morning!

I have NO idea about Canon, other than the advice from a dear friend’s experiences, and my gear is composed of Nikon only.

The wifey however, would love to get into some photography with me (we spend tonnes of time outdoors, birding, hiking, camping)… Canon seems to make sense, both in her and my opinion (it’s priced better, lenses in the used market, etc).

As she is not a photographer (yet?) and just getting into the swing of things, she is still running out of steam with her old Oly E-420. With the budget in mind (let’s say 4k?, maybe 5?) there has been a number of posts on Gumtree and the FB group for stuff like 600D’s and 500D’s with this-and-that lens, sometimes a nice lens like 18-135 IS, sometimes not.

Could someone give me some honest opinions on which body to go for? Are the 500D’s too old? 600D’s? What’s a 60D? How many shutter actuations are too many?

Thanks in advance Guys
    Marlon

• Jostian
    Participant

Too many scammers on those sites, check out http://www.outdoorphoto.community/classifieds/ rather

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

• marlon
    Participant

I have noticed about the scammers yes, 🙁
    Will check it out, but still need the advice, and opinions, as my post was not all about where to buy.

Thanks again
    Marlon

• Jostian
    Participant

Does your 4 to 5k include lens or only a body?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

• Gerd
    Participant

My advice: SWtay clear of Gumtree and OLX. If you must, only communicate with a seller who lives reasonably nearby, so that you can see and test what you buy or not.
    There are reliable and trustworthy on-line dealers which often have very good used equipment for sale and can be trusted absolutely with your money.
    A|part from OUTDOORPHOTO try ORMS in Cape Town (they have a fairly large selection of used eqipment), STUDIO 22 in Cape Town, FOTOHIFI, CAMERATEK . They are all trustworthy and in case of problems you have recourse which you don’t neccessarily havewith a private seller.
    I have used all of the above (including OUTDOORPHOTO) over time with either new or used stuff and I can recommend them.

• AllanBower
    Participant

Marlon I understand you looking at Canon because of price and I also think going 2nd hand is sensible considering your wife is just starting with DSLR’s, but if you are shooting Nikon I personally feel it makes sense to look at Nikon. It gives you the opportunity to “swop” lenses, flashes etc. You obviously know Nikon so teaching her is also going to be a whole lot easier.
    It doesn’t always work out as you may both want to use the same lens at the same time, but if you are both happy to make compromises, then I would stick to Nikon. You are right in saying that the availability of Canon is better, and she may prefer to head off in her own direction, but there is still plenty good 2nd hand Nikon stuff around, and like the previous poster have said, stick to known sites like ODP.
    P.S. I don’t shoot either Nikon or Canon 😮

• elsahoffmann

It’s not like you are starting out with a system – so I would also recommend you stick to Nikon – you would also be able to “pass on” your “older” gear to her when you upgrade. And yes you could swap around. It just makes sense to me. Also depends on what you shoot – and what lenses you are using of course.

• Gerd
    Participant

Now Elsa….. (with tongue in cheek…):p

……you would also be able to “pass on” your “older” gear to her when you upgrade….”

Why should ladies always get the “older” gear ? Why not the other way around ???? Let her upgrade and hubby takes the older gear !!!

YEEEAAAH, let us be (whatever way) correct ….:rolleyes:

• elsahoffmann

@gerd 297424 wrote:

Now Elsa….. (with tongue in cheek…):p

……you would also be able to“pass on” your “older” gear to herwhen you upgrade….”

Why should ladies always get the “older” gear ? Why not the other way around ???? Let her upgrade and hubby takes the older gear !!!

YEEEAAAH, let us be (whatever way) correct ….:rolleyes:

ye that was said tongue in cheek by me too – why else would you want to get her gear not as good as yours by going for Canon? :confused:

Or were you thinking if SHE gets Canon – she can pass on her “older gear” to you? 😉

You said she is not a photographer – hence making sense she wont start with top of the range (and shouldnt anyway) – and if you have good stuff already – might make sense to pass on your mid range stuff (which will already be better than entry level stuff) to her so you can upgrade since you appear to be the photographer? We all know how much upgrades cost. I have no shame in using second had gear. And I would be very happy if my “older” gear could stay in the family – since my “older gear” is really very good gear and not entry level at all

there – does that make more sense?

• DaveK
    Participant

Marlon, the 40/50/60 D range is a step up from the 500/600/700 D range: better focusing, extra controls, a little bigger and more robust body with better weather sealing. The 60D is a great camera, quite old now, we are up to 77D and 80D on that range!
    Agree with the sense of staying Nikon if that is what you shoot, and you have substantial equipment that you wish to hold onto. Otherwise, I would use Canon for your wife in a heartbeat. The price difference in SA gives you no need for any other reason, and the second hand market as you mention is huge.
    That said, some of those lenses you mention aren’t going to help with birding.
    Forgive me if you already know this, but if you are researching Canon gear can I recommend ‘the digital picture’. Have a look at the website: there is data on nearly every Canon lens on the comparator tool. Also Nikon (and you can compare the ‘equivalent’ Canon and Nikon lenses side by side:rolleyes:) Also reviews on most bodies. A great place to start with a very broad question

Dave.

• Gerd
    Participant

Although the Canon 60D is a bit long in the tooth, it nevertheless delivers brilliant images, has a lot of features and is quite easy to “understand”. One should be able to pick up a good used one for a very fair price.
    I have used one for 2 years, was absolutely satisfied and only sold it because I changed to a full frame Canon.
    Whatever your choice, ENJOY !!!

• ballistic
    Participant

I always said, Canon is a way better option when looking for secondhand gear. But as some of the other members have said, if you can, stick to Nikon. In the long run it will save you quite a bit of money where gear is concerned.

Regarding gear choice. In my opinion the 500D’s are okay for family, wedding and portraits. With that in mind, the 60D is a good step up from the before mentioned bodies, offering brilliant picture quality, very robust build and awesome features for the price. Way more suited to your needs than the 500D/600D. I aint saying this because I have a 60D for sale in the classifieds……. cough cough 😉

http://www.outdoorphoto.community/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=49240&title=canon-60d-and-acc&cat=3

They genuinely are very good cameras for the price. The other problem is the birding bit. You might just find that 4-5k is just a bit to little for a 60D and a decent lens. For around 6k or less you could probably get a 60D and a 75-300 non IS lens. And you know what a non IS tele lens is gonna do. Or you could get the 60D body and and cheapy lens and use that in the meantime.

You know, a while back I posted on the forum that I was looking to buy a Nikon D7000 as I was short for the 7D. One of the members took pity on me and offered me a 7D mk1 at a very good price. So good I could never take a D7000 over the 7D. If you like, whatsapp me and lets see if we can sort something out for you…. at a price we are both happy with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx