Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics General Photography Chat how to tighten a tripod foot

Viewing 17 reply threads

how to tighten a tripod foot

  • Author
    Posts
    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      I think that says it all. The blessetse screw is ALWAYS coming loose – is there some trick I don’t know about?

      I so seldom use a tripod – and when I have to – I loath doing so partly because of this.

    • Leo Theron
      Participant
      Post count: 1582

      @elsahoffmann 297940 wrote:

      I think that says it all. The blessetse screw is ALWAYS coming loose – is there some trick I don’t know about?

      I so seldom use a tripod – and when I have to – I loath doing so partly because of this.

      Picture – then I will comment.

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      [ATTACH]9602[/ATTACH]

    • Norm de Plume
      Participant
      Post count: 593

      Use a coin and twist?

      I don’t get it, is this a trick question?

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      Norm ye – except it doesnt STAY tight. Hence the question.
      perhaps you have a trick making it stay tight? Keep it mind if it is SO tight that i wont move – I wont be able to move it to undo it !

    • Norm de Plume
      Participant
      Post count: 593

      My plates all have hex head screws – it’s easy to get the torque you with a hex key

      [ATTACH]9603[/ATTACH]

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      Thanks Norme – now we are getting somewhere. Would screws like that be available for my contraption? sorry for the 20 questions but today I am blond

    • DaveK
      Participant
      Post count: 332

      Elsa there is always a natural reluctance to tighten lens plates , or camera plates as the case may be, a little too much. I think we worry about stripping threads.
      Probably can go a little harder quite safely!
      Some plates on specific cameras are custom shaped to hug the profile of the camera. Less rotary forces mean that these always stay tighter longer.
      MY advice is go arca-swiss for tripod mounting, and you will find 100 high quality plates, from a slew of manafacturers. Universal fit etc.

      At that end of the market definitely less issues with tightening etc.
      Wrench, then you are done.
      D

    • Norm de Plume
      Participant
      Post count: 593

      @elsahoffmann 297948 wrote:

      Thanks Norme – now we are getting somewhere. Would screws like that be available for my contraption? sorry for the 20 questions but today I am blond

      https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Screws-Tripod-Release-Camera/dp/B00D97ZKAQ

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      Thanks Dave for the info!
      Norm – many thanks to you as well :) (see – it wasnt a trick question :)

    • Peter Connan
      Participant
      Post count: 819

      Elsa, just get a nice big screwdriver that fits the slot well, and keep it in your car’s boot…

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      haha Peter – maybe I can make a necklace and carry it around all the time. mmm instant access to a dangerous weapon :)

      If I accompany Ballistic to Aunty Edith’s bird place – I can be the one protecting him :)

    • Leo Theron
      Participant
      Post count: 1582

      @DaveK 297949 wrote:

      Elsa there is always a natural reluctance to tighten lens plates , or camera plates as the case may be, a little too much. I think we worry about stripping threads.
      Probably can go a little harder quite safely!
      Some plates on specific cameras are custom shaped to hug the profile of the camera. Less rotary forces mean that these always stay tighter longer.
      MY advice is go arca-swiss for tripod mounting, and you will find 100 high quality plates, from a slew of manafacturers. Universal fit etc.

      At that end of the market definitely less issues with tightening etc.
      Wrench, then you are done.
      D

      I concur with Dave – now how do we solve YOUR problem…

      I think the plates that we see (in your image) is maybe a bit ‘soft’ – yes I know it is a serious assumption. So it takes us back to your system – which mounting system do you have on your tripod head? If it is a real ARCA SWISS type mount, then a switch to a real ARCA SWISS plate would be the first step.

      So WHAT is that on your tripod?

      NOTE:

      1. When you put a mounting plate on your camera or lens, it is only part of the supporting system that must be able to support and manage the mass of the camera and lens, otherwise it will move around and unscrew at the most inappropriate time – with potential disastrous consequences.

      2. The heavier the goods that must be supported the bigger and stronger the supporting system required.

      3. My big tripod has a Kirk BH-1 head and I use ARCA SWISS mounting plates on my cameras (Nikon D3s and Olympus OMD-EM-1) and tele lenses. I also have a smaller GITZO with a small head – but an ARCA SWISS compatible clamp on the small tripod head as well.

      4. If your tripod head can clamp an ARCA SWISS plate, they are available from ODP.

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      This exact one – I cant find a picture of it on ODP – so here is the Orms link

      https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/manfrotto-mvh502ah-pro-video-head-flat-base-m-size

      whatever that plate is. it is soooo steady and sooo secure on the head – I really love that part. Its the screwing that is screwing me around.

    • Leo Theron
      Participant
      Post count: 1582

      @elsahoffmann 297957 wrote:

      This exact one – I cant find a picture of it on ODP – so here is the Orms link

      https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/manfrotto-mvh502ah-pro-video-head-flat-base-m-size

      whatever that plate is. it is soooo steady and sooo secure on the head – I really love that part. Its the screwing that is screwing me around.

      If it is screwing you around, it cannot be steady….:p:p:p

      You have a Manfrotto video head, so you are stuck with those plates…

      but

      Are there two holes in the lens (foot)plate? Then you can put two screws in the plate (you should be able to add another screw after removing the rubber bung) to prevent the mounting plate from moving. If that is not possible, only option is to tighten that screw with a screwdriver.

      HTH

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      Steady meaning the damn plate SITS in that channel – and doesnt move.

      Eish

      I am going to look for those other type screws :)

    • HeinrichR
      Participant
      Post count: 630

      Loctite?

    • elsahoffmann
      Moderator
      Post count: 3720

      @HeinrichR 297965 wrote:

      Loctite?

      uhm and then how do I get the tripod foot off the body again?

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In