/////Help please – Hunting issues with Nikon af-s 500mm F4 non-VR
Help please – Hunting issues with Nikon af-s 500mm F4 non-VR2017-12-17T10:19:45+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Help please – Hunting issues with Nikon af-s 500mm F4 non-VR

Help please – Hunting issues with Nikon af-s 500mm F4 non-VR

• Author
    Participant

I am in the middle of a two week stay in the Kruger. I brought my 200-400mm F4 and 500mm (to use with 1.4 tc) to cover the ranges. However, I am having major hunting issues with this lens if the subject is more than 10 meters away. I have tried all the distance settings on the lens. This occurs with the tc and without. It also occurs on my D4s and D810. If the subject is within 10 meters, it seems fine. It also happens with varies subjects and colors i.e. lion against golden grass or buffalo against grass surroundings. I have tried all I can and luckily I have the 200-400 which also takes the TC so it helps. Appreciate any help

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Have you tried some different focus modes?

All I can think about doing that might help is to have a look at cleaning the contacts?

• chambeshi
    Participant

If you haven’t come right…. Yes clean all contacts with earbuds + ethanol (surgical spirit or serious proof liquor). Also set the AF to AF-C and try changing the settings, if possible to Single-Point AF, if not Group or 25pt or 9pt (think D4s has this).

If you don’t have it, download Steve Perry’s book. It is an incredible bargain at the price

https://backcountrygallery.com/secrets-nikon-autofocus-system/

@delboysafa 298121 wrote:

I am in the middle of a two week stay in the Kruger. I brought my 200-400mm F4 and 500mm (to use with 1.4 tc) to cover the ranges. However, I am having major hunting issues with this lens if the subject is more than 10 meters away. I have tried all the distance settings on the lens. This occurs with the tc and without. It also occurs on my D4s and D810. If the subject is within 10 meters, it seems fine. It also happens with varies subjects and colors i.e. lion against golden grass or buffalo against grass surroundings. I have tried all I can and luckily I have the 200-400 which also takes the TC so it helps. Appreciate any help

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx