/////HELP NEED: Soft, bright, pastel photos?
HELP NEED: Soft, bright, pastel photos?2017-08-19T07:56:20+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics Outdoor Photography Topics HELP NEED: Soft, bright, pastel photos?

HELP NEED: Soft, bright, pastel photos?

• Author
    Participant

Wondering if anyone can shed some ‘light’ on how to take those popular bright, somewhat overexposed pastel type of photos. I’m doing a matric farewell shoot with two couples and would love to change my photos up a bit. Additional advice is welcome.
    Unfortunately I’m shooting at around 1pm-3pm so bit concerned over harsh light.
    At f/1.4 most of my photos are overexposed, but I love the shallow DOF, any way around this apart from ND Filters?
    GEAR:
    Canon 750D 1.6x crop sensor
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM
    Flash: Canon Speedlite 430 ex ii
    Filters: Hoya standard filters (polarized and ND8)

• elsahoffmann

There are many filters and presets you can use. Depending on what software you use.

• WayneThomas
    Participant

Elsa, Is there any settings I should use to capture the images as described above instead of using post processing software? I do use lightroom as well as photoshop to touch up, but would much rather prefer to snap them accurately in order to avoid extensive processing.

• elsahoffmann

Wayne – this is a tricky question or should I say a tricky answer.

Usually what you see – mostly in wedding photography – is filters or filter effects or presets

Those photographers have also developed a shooting style – over time – and they shoot their photos in a way which suits that kind of editing. I often shoot with B&W in mind – but my images can stand as normal coloured edited photos as well. I would shoot as per normal, and edit with a filter (since you want a special effect) Unless you have a style developed for sooting over exposed – it is dicey. Also – with a filter the images will be more consistent in output. If you understand what I am trying to say

• WayneThomas
    Participant

Thank you for taking the time to respond, makes perfect sense.

Just a bit of feedback, shoot went great, I did a probono shoot for two matrics.

Was a bit apprehensive at first, felt like I was rushing through it due to the pressure of too many onlookers, but eased into it after about 30min when the initial awkwardness subsided.

I actually shot with exactly what you are referring to in mind – took a few safe shots and a few overexposed shots to post process later, will see what filters work best, any suggestions on free filters/actions for lightroom/photoshop?

Thanks again for the advice!

• elsahoffmann

I am not the hottest where filters are concerned – but now and then I use NIK filters. They are no longer being updated – but you might be able to download the last lot still – and it’s fee of charge. I dont think they work on PhotoshopCC though – you would have to check.
    The other filters some use is Topaz – you have to buy it – but there will be others available. I just cant tell you what 🙂

Well done on your shoot!

• WayneThomas
    Participant

Thanks Elsa! I am struggling to attach a picture to show the original and end results, I am quite satisfied though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx