/////Help: Data transfer between camera and laptop
Help: Data transfer between camera and laptop2013-05-22T18:17:11+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras Help: Data transfer between camera and laptop

Help: Data transfer between camera and laptop

• Author
    Participant

We need to transfer pictures (Raw) as they are taken between a D7100 and a laptop. Would prefer an untethered solution as a cable could get in the way.

We’ve had various “solutions” offered, but no-one seems to be really sure! The Wi-fi SD-card option is a no-go as one cannot transfer Raw files – apparently. Nikon’s Eye-fi adaptor (WU-1b) isn’t the solution either – according to the ODP guys.

Does anybody have a workable, clean solution, please? (And which won’t cost an arm and a leg – or two?)

• Rob_ZN
    Participant

Google found -> http://www.cameramator.com/index.html

Looks like it could do the job if you’re working on a Mac

• Norm de Plume
    Participant

@witblits 279264 wrote:

We need to transfer pictures (Raw) as they are taken between a D7100 and a laptop. Would prefer an untethered solution as a cable could get in the way.

We’ve had various “solutions” offered, but no-one seems to be really sure! The Wi-fi SD-card option is a no-go as one cannot transfer Raw files – apparently. Nikon’s Eye-fi adaptor (WU-1b) isn’t the solution either – according to the ODP guys.

Does anybody have a workable, clean solution, please? (And which won’t cost an arm and a leg – or two?)

I think you’re confusing your technologies, the eye-fi card is a third party device (I’m not sure what the Nikon wifi adapter is called) and it will transfer RAW files over wifi.

• Leo Theron
    Participant

Witblitz,

– The Nikon WU-1b is an Wi-Fi adapter with limitations

– The Eye-Fi card (SD Card) is also a Wi-Fi card…

Each has specific limitations. The answer to your original question lies in the Nikon UT-1 plus WT-5.

However, I would suggest that you review your workflow, downloading, viewing and processing, time and timing requirements. Can the JPG stand in for the RAW till you can transfer the SD card to your processing machine? You said the cable will get in the way… I thus deduce that it is a busy but stable/set environment. My suggestion: If speed is critical, you should set up your camera carefully so that you get the best JPG images straight out of the camera – then a WU-1b might just do it – onto an iPAD and further from there.

Let your fingers do the Google Jive – you will surprised what others have achieved, for example:

http://www.electronista.com/reviews/nikon-wu-1b-wireless-adapter-picturepro-app.html

HTH

• Norm de Plume
    Participant

@leo Theron 279273 wrote:

Witblitz,

– The Nikon WU-1b is an Wi-Fi adapter with limitations

– The Eye-Fi card (SD Card) is also a Wi-Fi card…

Each has specific limitations. The answer to your original question lies in the Nikon UT-1 plus WT-5.

However, I would suggest that you review your workflow, downloading, viewing and processing, time and timing requirements. Can the JPG stand in for the RAW till you can transfer the SD card to your processing machine? You said the cable will get in the way… I thus deduce that it is a busy but stable/set environment. My suggestion: If speed is critical, you should set up your camera carefully so that you get the best JPG images straight out of the camera – then a WU-1b might just do it – onto an iPAD and further from there.

Let your fingers do the Google Jive – you will surprised what others have achieved, for example:

http://www.electronista.com/reviews/nikon-wu-1b-wireless-adapter-picturepro-app.html

HTH

That PicturePro looks like a nice app but it sure isn’t cheap at $50. There are other options, particularly for the wifi transfer, like ShutterSnitch ($20) or the EYE-FI app (free) if you go that route.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx