Hedrus Bean bag Filler2008-03-15T10:30:48+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment Other Camera Equipment Hedrus Bean bag Filler

Hedrus Bean bag Filler

• Author
    Participant

I have a ODP Beanbag bought from Hedrus last year. I filled it up with Beans but it was so heavy that the strap almost tore loose and it was impossible to get from the back seat without getting 10 hernias,. My wife then chucked all the beans and stuffed it with Cushion filling type cotton Wool but now its too light. I remember reading somewhere that users of this bag use a lighter (but heavier and more robust than Polystyrene balls) I took myself off to Servistar and Builders Warehouse and tried to explain to staff what I needed and all I got was the normal PE Shop attendents glazed look and shrugged shoulders with the advice that I should use Bean bag fillers…exactly…where does one get this stuff…what do you guys use in your bags… I cant afford the time and now the petrol to cruise this place to get no service. My original filler was over 10 Kgs (Too heavy) …the cotton wool was a few grams (too Light)
    I need something in the middle that gives a flat platform and does not bulge round like packed cotton wool…I want to start using my Hedrus Plate on a firm flat platform

• Divebum
    Participant

Maybe you can go to a health shop where they sell diet foods, and get “LITE” beans:confused:

😀

• Divebum
    Participant

Alternatively, you could go to a craft shop and get (+ / – 4-6mm) plastic beads that are used in beading. The plastic ones are usually quite cheap and light, and come in bags of up to 1kg.

Sorry about the previous post:mad::mad:

• Anonymous

Tapioca.

• Hannes Kruger
    Participant

My bag that ODP filled with little 4mm flat plastic plates, whatever it is called is about 6Kg on bathroom scale. Works better than beans.

Fishing shops also sell plastic beads in various sizes, but I think that’s going to be to expensive.

• benzo70
    Participant

What about silicon? Would that work?

• Mike Nell
    Participant

I believe the perfect fill would be something like BB gun bullets. Perfectly round and hollow on inside to save weight.
    But I can find.
    Currently we made the Beanbags slightly smaller , fill it with a plastic bead and it weights about 6Kg. The previous model as you are referring to Peter did weigh around 9kg.

• Missy
    Participant

Hedrus;96954 wrote:
    I believe the perfect fill would be something like BB gun bullets. Perfectly round and hollow on inside to save weight.
    But I can find.
    Currently we made the Beanbags slightly smaller , fill it with a plastic bead and it weights about 6Kg. The previous model as you are referring to Peter did weigh around 9kg.

Thanks a million Hedrus…those plastic beads …do you stock them?? or do I go to a dress shop Place???

• janosa
    Participant

Try a plastic business in PE….they use those little white plastic beads to extrude plastic sheeting

• Indigo Bay
    Participant

There is a place Sagex that sells these small poly balls…. Hope you come right. 🙂

http://www.sagex.co.za/index.asp

Branches:

Port Elizabeth

Tel: (041) 461-1508
    Fax: (041) 461-1100

Physical Address: Buick Road, Markman Industrial Area, Port Elizabeth, 6056

• Missy
    Participant

Thanks so much Stanberg and Hansie I will certainly go and contact Sagex

• frb
    Participant

I filled my bag with Vermiculite and it probably comes to about 3-4kg. You need to top it up from time to time though as it tends top compress. Available from building supply places.

• janosa
    Participant

Peter, I have a biggish bag of the Sagex stuff at home…give me a call tomorrow and you can collect some…Stan Blumberg ….in the directory:)

• deon.duplooy
    Participant

I hear you guys on the weight issue, specially if you need to carry it somewhere.

I think however that the stability of the bag are also due to the weight and not only the moldability of the filling. One should therefore not go too light as Peter has found out with the cotton wool.

Originally called BEAN bag, because beans were used. Mine was filled with rice. There is however many new types of materials which can be used as fillings that is non-organic and will not swell (OR SPROUT :)) when getting wet. As Hedrus have mentioned, BB balls should work well. If you have access to a plastics firm, they get the raw plastic in balls that vary to some extent is size and shape.

I think one should also look at the ease (or rather difficulty) of sliding of the particles over one another, as I’m sure this will have an effect on the shape holding properties of the bag. Very slippery balls might not work so well.

But then I’m not a beanbag scientist, so might be totally wrong in my assumptions. 😉

• Missy
    Participant

Stanberg;96982 wrote:
    Peter, I have a biggish bag of the Sagex stuff at home…give me a call tomorrow and you can collect some…Stan Blumberg ….in the directory:)

Stan you are a STAR of note…Will call you this PM on my way to Spinning at the Gym …class 17h00 so can I come around 15h00..will get directions from you:) 😀 😎

• Burner
    Participant

Plastic sequins work well because they are flat and plastic. You can get them at a bead shop as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx