Hdr2009-08-13T07:33:57+02:00

Hdr

• Author
    Participant

I was thrilled to find that the latest Practical Photography Mag has a full and comprehensive How to in words and illustrations of 1 syllable on HDR

I will therefore teach myself and will not be requiring any courses or seminars or tutorials in this subject from any expert at even 20c per course and expose myself to broken promises and let downs…Those who were hoping for the promised tutorial should avail themselves of getting this current edition of the mag to master this technique…cut out the middleman …way to go in modern morality/ethically barren RSA:D:eek::D:mad:

• Stanberg
    Participant

Whew….ok!!!!:confused::confused:
    Please bring a copy to the meeting next Thursday
    Now take a deep breath………….

• Robbie A
    Participant

@peter Betts 167117 wrote:

I was thrilled to find that the latest Practical Photography Mag has a full and comprehensive How to in words and illustrations of 1 syllable on HDR

I will therefore teach myself and will not be requiring any courses or seminars or tutorials in this subject from any expert at even 20c per course and expose myself to broken promises and let downs…Those who were hoping for the promised tutorial should avail themselves of getting this current edition of the mag to master this technique…cut out the middleman …way to go in modern morality/ethically barren RSA:D:eek::D:mad:

10/10 Peter… Like the “broken promises” part best..

• Fanie
    Participant

Peter good on you for doing some research yourself, but please let bygones be bygones……….focus on tomorrow, yesterday is gone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

Oh come on Peter. The net is loaded with hdr/exposure blending tutorials. Are you really going to say you were waiting anxiously for Hougaards “blending secrets”???:rolleyes: I doubt it he is using a unique blending method, to anyone else in the world. Why are you let down? Like i said there is millions of tutorials on the subject, and you can even experiment with your own blending modes in photoshop. In the time between announcing the tutorial and cancelling it, you could have mastered the technique already. Im not attacking you, Im just stating that in my opinion, he had the guts to withdraw his tutorial, and he could have just left it without stating his reasons etc. Dave {coyote100} also did a hdr tutorial for odp before he passed away, ever had a look at that one.. I hope the PP mag helps you with the hdr, and i look forward seeing the results.

• BushMaster
    Participant

Peter, found this. maybe youve seen it
    http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

• andreklopper
    Participant

Peter,

Can’t wait to see your photos…

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@stanberg 167120 wrote:

Whew….ok!!!!:confused::confused:
    Please bring a copy to the meeting next Thursday
    Now take a deep breath………….

True but I had to get it off my chest…feel great now:D…musnt judge my own kids with others is what really happenned here:cool:

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@bushmaster 167137 wrote:

Peter, found this. maybe youve seen it
    http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

Thanks Ian..much appreciated

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@marcell van Aswegen 167132 wrote:

Oh come on Peter. The net is loaded with hdr/exposure blending tutorials. Are you really going to say you were waiting anxiously for Hougaards “blending secrets”???:rolleyes: I doubt it he is using a unique blending method, to anyone else in the world. Why are you let down? Like i said there is millions of tutorials on the subject, and you can even experiment with your own blending modes in photoshop. In the time between announcing the tutorial and cancelling it, you could have mastered the technique already. Im not attacking you, Im just stating that in my opinion, he had the guts to withdraw his tutorial, and he could have just left it without stating his reasons etc. Dave {coyote100} also did a hdr tutorial for odp before he passed away, ever had a look at that one.. I hope the PP mag helps you with the hdr, and i look forward seeing the results.

Thanks Marcell will have a look at these time permitting….in the middle of interviews:cool::cool::cool:

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@fanie 167131 wrote:

Peter good on you for doing some research yourself, but please let bygones be bygones……….focus on tomorrow, yesterday is gone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

True Fanie…totally correct but ive said it and moved on:cool:

• Warren Williams
    Participant

Hi Peter,

If you really want to do HDR work then you need to look at this mans work.
    http://www.redbubble.com/search/Mike+Savad

Also ifyou care to travel to KOS I can try and help you with HDR & Blending process , I know a little bit and am prepared to share that. but it will mean a bit of give & take from both of us.:)

Warren.

• streak
    Participant

Don Menges posted this on another forum. I don’t use Photoshop but tried some of his techniques using NX2. I downloaded the trial version of Photomatix.

Hope you find this useful.

There are an unlimited number of ways to do use Photomatix and Photoshop to create very natural HDR images. This is just one. Just a start. Experiment and have fun.

Shooting Set Up

1. Shoot RAW images.
    2. First, set your camera to -.3 EV prior to taking the images. A little darker is better.
    3. More depth of field the better, although I found f/14 to be the best for architectural shots.
    4. Use the lowest ISO you can. HDR imaging introduces some noise. High ISO images do not translate well.
    5. Use a tripod and a shutter release cable
    6. Use Auto Bracketing (1-stop difference)
    a. 3 images for direct lit scenes
    b. 3-5 images for side lit scenes
    c. 5-7 images for back lit scenes
    7. Set your Nikon to high speed “burst” mode (Ch)
    8. Compose and fire away.

HDRing the Images

1. Use Photomatix Pro. The stand alone version; not the plugin.
    2. Click on Create HDR Image. Find your images and use all of the defaults as you click through the screens.
    3. Once you have the HDR image, click on Tone Mapping
    4. With Detail Enhancer selected (top left), click on Default (bottom) to start from scratch. Photomatix always returns to the last used settings. (good when you’re doing a bunch of shots from the same spot with the same lighting).
    5. At the top, change Strength to 90; Color Saturation to 50; Light Smoothing to 4th dot.
    6. At the Bottom:
    -> With Tone selected – Move the Black Point up a bit to darken. Leave everything else.
    -> With Color selected – leave all defaults.
    -> With Micro selected – Contrast = +4; Micro Smoothing = 0 (this brings out detail)
    -> With S/H selected – leave all defaults.
    7. Process your image and save it. I usually use JPG…

CAUTION: The above HDR settings work for me with my architectural images. It’s a good STARTING place. You really have to experiment to find the best settings for you.

Final Touch Up in Photoshop – my “Secret”

1. Open your image.
    2. Create a new Curves Image Adjustment layer.
    3. Click in the middle of the Curves line and drag it up as far as you can without it “flattening” at the top. See image below. Click OK to create new layer.
    4. Change the layer blending mode from Normal to Soft Light.
    5. You will notice a lot of contrast and brightness is introduced. I often leave it like this, but sometimes you need to change the Opacity to lessen the effect.
    6. You can perform other Photoshop techniques if you like, but I find this alone makes my HDR image pop.
    6. Flatten the image and save.

Hope that helps…. my Secret is out!

Don Menges
    Menges Technology Integration

• Russ
    Participant

A little off topic but still HDR related

Dave {coyote100} also did a hdr tutorial for odp before he passed away

never knew Dave and I know is sounds corny but I find his pics more refreshing and inspirational than any other photographer Ive seen. When i am feeling in a dead end I often browse his gallery, the bottles and the red rally tent are my favourite, not to mention his spelling.
    Thanks Dave

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

Yes Russ, I think dave was a natural born photographer. More arty than Pj style, but still very inspirational.

For those that are not on the same page, here’s his gallery

@russ 167183 wrote:

A little off topic but still HDR related
    never knew Dave and I know is sounds corny but I find his pics more refreshing and inspirational than any other photographer Ive seen. When i am feeling in a dead end I often browse his gallery, the bottles and the red rally tent are my favourite, not to mention his spelling.
    Thanks Dave

• Robbie A
    Participant

@marcell van Aswegen 167132 wrote:

Oh come on Peter. The net is loaded with hdr/exposure blending tutorials. Are you really going to say you were waiting anxiously for Hougaards “blending secrets”???:rolleyes: I doubt it he is using a unique blending method, to anyone else in the world. Why are you let down?

Marcell, get real! For someone to come onto the open forum and to say that they are going to do something for the forum members, and then to ask for their input as to what they want, and then to come back a few weeks later to say that sorry, now they gonna be doing it for money or something else and they not gonna share it!!!!!

Leaves a sour taste in most peoples’ mouths. Its just something that is not done!!

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

I am real, I promiss you that.

Im not defending the guy, he didnt ask what they wanted to know in order for him to go and research it. He wanted to know what to include from his already found info or knowledge if you will. So i cant see him “winning” any more than they “lost”
    They havent lost anything, if they were openminded about the situation, they would have found more info on net in anycase. Using 1 person as a source is a really stupid thing to do imo. Yes he did turn around and said its not going to happen, but he explained his reasons. Youre arguing from an ethics point of view. He’s arguing from a business point of view. And im arguing from a realist point of view. So iguess we’ll never agree. Hougaard is a goog photographer, but he is certainly not the be all and end all of hdr blending unfortunatly

@robbie A 167189 wrote:

Marcell, get real! For someone to come onto the open forum and to say that they are going to do something for the forum members, and then to ask for their input as to what they want, and then to come back a few weeks later to say that sorry, now they gonna be doing it for money or something else and they not gonna share it!!!!!

Leaves a sour taste in most peoples’ mouths. Its just something that is not done!!

• Faraway
    Participant

He made an offer – he withdrew it – and gave an honest answer for doing so. He has every right to do so – get over it

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@faraway 167213 wrote:

He made an offer – he withdrew it – and gave an honest answer for doing so. He has every right to do so – get over it

If you made an offer to buy the house I am selling and I accept your offer which I did with this course…then that is binding…The school I went to and where my kids went to …you were taught to keep committments … but I am over it…was never a problem in any case…just sad that its too easy to bomb out of things these days ..its just a principal thing nothing more..we will in any case be discussing this and the article in Photography mag at our monthly ODP PE get together later this month so dont fret for me bro

• Anonymous

PETER
    Get over it. You spend your life bitching about everthing. You are a product of what you are. If you want to be in a better place put your self there and stop feeling sorry for your self. Life is for the living and not the self imposed victims.I have told you before-you have talent- go out and use it

• hougaard malan
    Participant

The most powerful manual image luminosity control technique I’ve come across.

I’ve been using it for a few months though I still struggle with it. If you can master it then you’ve got access to a very powerful tool.

The concept – http://www.goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html

Applying it towards HDR – http://www.goodlight.us/writing/paintinghdr/paintinghdr-1.html

• Anonymous

Why is everyone crapping on everyone?
    The vast majority of you guys ignored my article… granted it had a price, but I didn’t come back and cause a big stink, and get all personal. Businessmen don’t hand around their secrets to the opposition – and many of us being businessmen, we know this, so why are serious togs expected to? I’m quite prepared to pay for something if Hougaard, or Peter or anyone attaches a price. Most of the freebees I’ve downloaded are glossed over doggydoo, that’s why they’re free. Granted, there are gems, but gems are hard to find. Anyway that’s my take. Click click… ๐Ÿ˜€

• Luc Hosten
    Participant

Schoolboy values are passe (I don’t know where the accent is) and I wish I could get over my urge to respond to this. The magazine article referred to is about useless as this discussion is. Anyone is allowed to change their mind unless you are in matric or any lower psychosocial development stage. Let it rest…..

• Robbie A
    Participant

@Grahame Lane 167229 wrote:

PETER
    Get over it. You spend your life bitching about everthing. You are a product of what you are. If you want to be in a better place put your self there and stop feeling sorry for your self. Life is for the living and not the self imposed victims.I have told you before-you have talent- go out and use it

Do you really think that comments like this are called for? Does it make you feel good to insult someone on an open forum like this. If you feel the need to make these type of comments, why not send the recipient a private mail?

• Johann van Rensburg
    Participant

@hougaard malan 167230 wrote:

I’ve been using it for a few months though I still struggle with it. If you can master it then you’ve got access to a very powerful tool.

Hougaard, thanks for posting this link.
    I had a quick read through and can see huge potential here, and at $25 certainly worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• SimonDP

OK everyone involved – do your personal people comments via PM or e-mail, we will not have that in the forum. Lets not close another HDR thread!!!

• kappaj
    Participant

Paid for Scott Kelby’s book on Photoshop – great article and help.
    Good old friend http://www.google.com -> type in +HDR +Photoshop and oops, more than one link!

Why do everybody want everything for free? Can’t understand:confused:….

• AMILO
    Participant

@hougaard malan 167230 wrote:

The concept – http://www.goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html

Applying it towards HDR – http://www.goodlight.us/writing/paintinghdr/paintinghdr-1.html

Hougaard you are a genius! Actually the person who wrote it is a genius, but you are a Google genius for finding it ๐Ÿ˜€

Already I have seen how this can help me no end – not just for HDR, but for my weddings as well!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx