/////FX vs DX …. battle of the BOKEH
FX vs DX …. battle of the BOKEH2018-02-25T17:37:25+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras FX vs DX …. battle of the BOKEH

FX vs DX …. battle of the BOKEH

• Author
    Participant

OK so this is something that I always wanted to try, although I sort of new what the outcome should be. So a while back I took the same shots with my Full Frame D3s and 300m f2.8 as well as with my D7200 ( 1.5 crop DX) and 70-200mm lens.

So technically the 70-200mm ( at 200mm) on the crop sensor should give me 300mm f2.8, but what would the effect on the bokeh be, compared to the true 300mm on a FX body.

As you can see there is a noticeable difference in the out-of-focus back ground detail. It is clear the the full frame sensor gives a smoother ( more out of focus effect) than the crop sensor with a 200mm lens.
    The model was about 6m away from me in both shots and the plant about 10m.
    ( Interesting that the 70-200mm has a little bit less “reach” then the 300mm fixed lens)

[ATTACH]9610[/ATTACH]

• Peter Connan
    Participant

That is quite a difference!

Did you possibly extend the test to see what f-stop you need to close the 300 to to get around the same background detail?

• Leo Theron
    Participant

@peter Connan 298273 wrote:

That is quite a difference!

Did you possibly extend the test to see what f-stop you need to close the 300 to to get around the same background detail?

Note:

– If the 300 is stopped down to f4, the rendering would be quite close to the 70-200 at 2.8.

– The Nikon 70-200 is a well known focus breather, so 200 might not be 200 at all – the actual focal length is dependent on the focusing distance.

HTH…

• CHS
    Participant

Peter

I only shot it at 2.8 because that is usually the f-stop I use on these lenses.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Thanks Leo and CHS.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx