Focus Distance Data EXIF2010-04-29T15:13:21+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Focus Distance Data EXIF

Focus Distance Data EXIF

• Author
    Participant

I see quite a few togs have Focus distance data in their EXIF…Chris van Rooyen, Albert Froneman, Vivid etc but they all use Nikon D3 cameras in various forms and I only have the D3 lite…D700 and thought that this feature belongs only to the D3 level of camera…Now I see Irvine usinga similar level camera to mune a Canon 5D MkII also has focus distance on his EXIF…I think thats the coolest info on the EXIF. How do I program my camera to do the same???

• Dumay de Boulle
    Participant

I have it on my 7D, had it on my 50D and 40D…Must be a Canon thing:p:D
    Just kidding, not sure why Peter…Mine only started coming up when I processed the RAW file in PS CS4 all the way to JPEG. Then only did I start seeing it. Not sure if thats why.

• Gavin Hayhurst
    Participant

Not having a D700 take this with a pinch of salt, but its a slow day at work so I did some surfing.
    D700 seems to support it but there seems to be lots of confusion when and how you get it populated.
    – you might need firmware 2.02 or later.
    – only works with certain lenses.
    – Is not shown in Nikon’s software.
    – Is shown in Lightroom but not the default view, go to all or Exif.

Did not seem like you needed to specifically enable it.

• Peter Betts
    Participant

Thanks Gavin and Dumay…I have CS3 and CS4 works so looks like I must upgrade to CS5 and I could very well have it…also my camera has never had any upgrades as I dont know how to download/upload them so I ams still on the original form…I got the first D700 in RSA from ODP

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@gavin Hayhurst 202137 wrote:

Not having a D700 take this with a pinch of salt, but its a slow day at work so I did some surfing.
    D700 seems to support it but there seems to be lots of confusion when and how you get it populated.
    – you might need firmware 2.02 or later.
    – only works with certain lenses.
    – Is not shown in Nikon’s software.
    – Is shown in Lightroom but not the default view, go to all or Exif.

Did not seem like you needed to specifically enable it.

Gavin which lenses did it work with???..where can I see this list??

• Gavin Hayhurst
    Participant

It works on Lightroom 2.6 so reckon it should work on CS4. I downloaded one of your pics from ODP and could not see the focus distance stuff in lightroom and I can normally see it.

Maybe try the firmware upgrade, it is pretty easy and the steps are well explained on the Nikon website.

Seems to be all D and G lenses are supported so you should be covered.

• Lance Groenewald
    Participant

All I know is it is not accurate !

98% of my shots show a distance of 76.6m which I know (and the guys I shoot with know) the shots are not taken at. I think anything over 15-20 m is recorded as “infinity” hence the 76.6 m.

Would actually like to know how to discontinue this feature.

• Traveller
    Participant

I have a metadata editor, PhotoME (http://www.photome.de/), which shows a ginormous amount of EXIF data (three-quarters of which I don’t even know what it means), including Focus Distance (quite a way down in the list under Lens Data). I haven’t checked accuracay but it shows varying distances for my Nikkor 18-200 VR used on a D80. At longer distances it shows “Infinite at 33.5m”. On my Sigma 17-70 it also indicates focus distance but for longer distances shows “Infinite at 7.94m”. It does not work with my old Sigma 75-300 (it shows 0.1m for all distances), I have not checked it with my other lenses.

By the way, this application also indicates the cameras total shutter count.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx