EXtender 2x Canon2005-11-22T07:21:00+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses EXtender 2x Canon

EXtender 2x Canon

• Author
    Participant

Can the cannon extenders be used with any Canon lenses? ie 55-200usm

• I BERRILL
    Participant

The 2X Extender only works on White lenses.

Don’t know why, I’ve read it on the Canon website. Does anybody know why only the white lenses?

• musaristo
    Participant

NightOwl wrote:
    Don’t know why, I’ve read it on the Canon website. Does anybody know why only the white lenses?Yep. Both the 1.4 and 2x extender have a bit sticking out towards the lens-side. I suppose that it is to make the seal perfect or such, but it prevents any other lenses from being attached. The white lenses start with a big hole, and only then the backlens.
    Have a look at a photo of the extenders, I’m sure you can find it on this site.
  • deon.duplooy
    Participant

NightOwl wrote:

Don’t know why, I’ve read it on the Canon website. Does anybody know why only the white lenses?
    Do not know about the 2x but the 1.4x has a lens element that fit slightly into the lens attached to it, so it is a space problem. L lenses normally have the rear element deep enough inside the lensbody.

I have not tried it but have seen a tip that you can fit a 12mm extention tube between the extender and the non-compliant lens to give the correct clearance. It will screw up your focal distances though.

• suzette
    Participant

The 135 f2 L is an exception. It can take the 1.4 & 2x converters but it’s black.

• shanmand
    Participant

What are the pro’s and con’s of using an extender on a Canon 70-200 L f4 lens. Is it worth the while, or is it better to get another lens.

• jhayden
    Participant

The f4 lens with a 1.4 TC will give f5.6, stil good for AF, but you will loose AF with a 2x TC due to f8, only the top-end Canon’s wil AF, like the 1DsMkII, EOS 3, etc. Note that a 1.4 TC will have a little, not too noticeable, drop in image quality, 2X will be more pronounced. Viewfinder also turns more dark with 2x TC. The 200/4 with a 2x will yield a 400/8, you can do better than that, also DoF will be more, and low capability goes down the drain.

• Aubrey
    Participant

So what lense do you guys reckon would be the best value for money telophoto lense for a 350d?

• suzette
    Participant

My vote (for versitility) would be the EF 70-200 2.8. With a 1.4 extender it is sharp, with a 2x it’s a 400 5.6 and acceptably sharp. You get the bonus of having a 200 2.8. There are few lenses that can be misused in this way.

In second place would be the 100-400 and third the Sigma 120-300.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx