EOS 7D ; AF point2011-09-05T09:27:11+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras EOS 7D ; AF point

EOS 7D ; AF point

• Author
    Participant

I have searched the internet for some info, but not much
    I would like to set my 7D to single focus points in Tv (shutter priority)
    mode. Even though the custom setting were changed to illuminate the focus
    point, it doesnt
    What I am looking for is the red illumination we see in our other Canon
    models. The 7D does have this available in the C1 setting, so it must be
    possible. Any ideas?

• Anonymous
    Participant

@Yogotta B. Kidding 243883 wrote:

I have searched the internet for some info, but not much
    I would like to set my 7D to single focus points in Tv (shutter priority)
    mode. Even though the custom setting were changed to illuminate the focus
    point, it doesnt
    What I am looking for is the red illumination we see in our other Canon
    models. The 7D does have this available in the C1 setting, so it must be
    possible. Any ideas?

Switch to one-shot or AI Focus and see if that helps.

• cagenuts
    Participant

It’s under the sixth menu option?

• DeonRacePix
    Participant

Cool thanx

Is there perhaps a way to mod C1 ?

What I managed to do is set a region AF to get ( ) into the viewfinder, and it will show me the AF point which has focus. Again it will show them to me in black and they wont illuminate red. Its a lot better than none.

I guess this is where the two camera thing comes in. Two different bodies, with differnent most things.

• Anonymous
    Participant

@cagenuts 243886 wrote:

It’s under the sixth menu option?

That’s for reviewing the photo on the LCD.

• Anonymous
    Participant

@Yogotta B. Kidding 243887 wrote:

Cool thanx

Is there perhaps a way to mod C1 ?

What I managed to do is set a region AF to get ( ) into the viewfinder, and it will show me the AF point which has focus. Again it will show them to me in black and they wont illuminate red. Its a lot better than none.

I guess this is where the two camera thing comes in. Two different bodies, with differnent most things.

You set the camera the way you want it, go to Camera User Setting (menu 8), Register, and then select C1-3.

• Morkel Erasmus
    Participant

Check this guide which helped me a lot after getting a 7D.
    http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2009/12/setting-up-your-new-canon-7d/

You will see that the various AF modes are not ‘enabled’ as a factory default (no idea why). Once you unlock them all you should be able to select single focus point, there is even a “fine focus” mode where it is even more precise.

• DeonRacePix
    Participant

I actually expected to find my feet with the 7D within minutes …. LOL

What I did to date: Registered all the AF options, and under Tv mode using AI_Servo with high frame rate, selected ZoneAF as well as overlaying the grid in the viewfinder to help me get level with the horison.. It seems my built auto stabilasation is out by a degree or two at times..
    With ZoneAF I get the black focus points. I dont usually shoot with OneShot or AIFocus, but I guess if it works, it works. I missed a number of images the weekend because I did not trust the AF to have focus, because I was waiting for the red illumnated dot..

Thanx for the input thus far guys.

• Morkel Erasmus
    Participant

Oh yeah now I get what you were after. I only worked with the black ‘rectangles’, don’t think there is a little red dot on this baby 🙂

• DeonRacePix
    Participant

I used this article to learn a bit more ..

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/whats_news_eos7d_article.shtml

Seems its gonna be an interesting time with this camera.

• Vishen Dullay
    Participant

Hi Guys, does anybody have an idea how to get the focus point illuminated ” Red Square”? For me its important specially at weddings where areas are dimely illuminated. To used to my 40D diamond focus area. This is one of the reasons why i held back on buying a 7D… Thanks Vish

• Anonymous
    Participant

@vishen 243973 wrote:

Hi Guys, does anybody have an idea how to get the focus point illuminated ” Red Square”? For me its important specially at weddings where areas are dimely illuminated. To used to my 40D diamond focus area. This is one of the reasons why i held back on buying a 7D… Thanks Vish

As above, you need to have it in One-shot or AI-Focus mode.

• DeonRacePix
    Participant

Yip, I played with this tonite..
    In AI_Servo, it just doesn’t happen, but with AI_Focus & one_Shot it is sorted.

I have to do some more reading though, and luckily its not my only camera… I have to add this is the cam with which I have spent the most time with the manual. At one point I was convinced the camera automatically switch from One-shot to AI_Servo, need to confirm that on the seven, and if it does whether the illuminated focus point is lost again….

• Grant Atkinson
    Participant

Hi Yogota
    I have written a fairly extensive field review/setup guide to the 7D on my website, perhaps it may be of some use along the way..
    Here is the link
    http://www.grantatkinson.com/Other/Reviews/EOS-7D/16686598_JqjqZp/
    cheers
    Grant

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

It shouldn’t light up in AI-servo… it’s constantly tracking and changing focus, so it would be blinking like a christmas tree.

AI Focus will track, lock, then stop

• DeonRacePix
    Participant

Grant, thanx for the link, I will read your post.
    Sean, why does my 1D not light up like a xmas tree? It locks focus and then track, I just would like to know when its got focus… I do understand that it is a completely different AF, just need to understand exactly how it is working. This is my backup camera, however, thought it may be nice to use the crop for the xtra focal length on smaller subjects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx