Enough Gigs for Kruger?2009-07-19T11:16:37+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment Other Camera Equipment Enough Gigs for Kruger?

Enough Gigs for Kruger?

• Author
    Participant

Normally when I go to Kruger I download cards every 2nd night onto the laptop as a precaution but dont reformat cards and put these full cards into the computer when I get home. I never run out of cards but now my laptop which my kid uses at varsity is finito…so I will be just using cards for 12 day trip to Kruger…I have 78 GB worth that should be enough which will give me about 2950 full quality RAW shots…about 250 a day?? What do folk think or have experienced…I have never kept a log and only go to Kruger once a year at the moment

• Robbie A
    Participant

It all depends on how trigger happy you are as well as what opportunities present themselves to you. I think under normal circumstances that it would be enough for most people. Whilst you might use more than 250 on one day, the chances are that you won’t on another day.. very difficult situation.. can you not borrow or get some sort of HDD that you can back up onto?

• Peter Betts
    Participant

@robbie A 164011 wrote:

It all depends on how trigger happy you are as well as what opportunities present themselves to you. I think under normal circumstances that it would be enough for most people. Whilst you might use more than 250 on one day, the chances are that you won’t on another day.. very difficult situation.. can you not borrow or get some sort of HDD that you can back up onto?

Thatsa brilliant idea…one of my sons friends has a cupboard full of devices…when they get back from their league hockey matches later today I will try and organise..Thanks Robbie

• Geurt
    Participant

Peter, the issue is insurance. With only CF cards and no back-ups of those, if you lose a single card, then you have lost 100% of those images. The cost of the trip, the effort etc must be weighed up with no additional backup. Yeah and I have read on your personal financial predicament, but I am sure that someone somewhere will loan you a back-up drive for the period. Hell, if you drive past Pta, you are more than welcome to come and pick-up my external harddrive.

• visagieh
    Participant

Peter, the backup USB drives are relatively cheap these days.

But as Geurt said, also have a couple of spare drives you can loan. You have to come past Pretoria then.

I know there are some devices that you can load CF directly onto, and view. But I dont think you want to spend that $$$ now.

With a backup drive, you still have the problem of not having a computer to load from/to. I am sure you will find someone to help, there in the rustic camps you visit.

PepperJuice

• Jola
    Participant

I have a 60GB Personal Storage Device (CF download and view) that you can borrow if you happen to come past Joburg.

As I understand it, you don’t have a notebook at the moment, so this will be more useful than an external drive.

• nayr
    Participant

Hey Peter, Just to give you an indication I use on average 8gb per day when in Kruger. But that is after deleting the unwanted images from the camera. So maybe best to drive past JHB or PTA to take someone up on their offer. Better to have a bit of insurance imo…

• Peter Veitch
    Participant

Peter, I have invested in a Netbook as a backup device for images. You can get one with a 160GB HDD for as little as R4000 today. They do have certain limitations but if all you want it for is as an image backup device it beats the Epsons which now retail at over R8000 and you can’t even view what you have taken.

Peter

• Stanberg
    Participant

I bought this for R850 about 3 years ago and works perfectly

A Magic Companion for USB Devices Store, Backup on the move with or without PC.
    INCLUDING 40GB HDD
    Including “One Touch Backup” and FAT32 Format Utility Software
    403OTG3.jpg
    Introducing the OTG Series Hard Drive Enclosure
    Digital Camera Partner
    Pocket Size USB 2.0 OTG External Drive
    / One Touch Button and LCD Screen
    and External Power Case
    2-Head USB Cables
    Free Soft Case
    For MAC and PC
    Color: Silver or Black
  • philo1
    Participant

I shot between 200 and 250 shots per day on a 4 Gig card – 10Mp Sony alpha 100 and downloaded onto a laptop each day. (1400 shots over period of 8 days) I had an inverter in my vehicle for charging laptop and batteries so could dowbnload images during lunchtime each day as this tended to be quieter time and less good light.

Phil

• klick
    Participant

heh heh giggle When I am finished with mine it will be able to handle 2 terabytes and will scan up to 4 folders deep and copy. oh and no software needed Stay tuned.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx