D3S 2nd hand Sales??2012-01-14T06:13:30+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras D3S 2nd hand Sales??

D3S 2nd hand Sales??

  • Author
    Posts
  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Normally when cameras get replaced with a new model there are many used bargains going all over the place in various Classified advertisements. The Canon 40D gets replaced by the 50D and there are hundreds of 40Ds selling at good prices as the owners seek to get the new model…Same on the Nikon sidewith say the Nikon D300 replacing the D200 or the D2x being replaced with the D3 (There were plenty D2x in the classified section)

    ….now along comes the much vaunted Nikon D4 and I havent seen ONE D3S for Sale advert anywhere….Now why can that be??;);)

  • Surly Ghillie
    Participant
    Post count: 600

    Hey Peter, great opportunity for you to set a trend here dude. Now why f’r insrtance don’t you offer a few D3s’s at never-to-be prices right here and now. i know I’d bite 😎

  • Alvin
    Participant
    Post count: 923

    early days still
    it’s going to happen

  • Anonymous
    Post count: 479

    The D3s is SOoooo GOOD they will be kept as second bodies and not sold :).

    Peter, Moose P says he is ‘up grading’ as soon as he can get his hands on a couple of D4’s, and he will be selling his D3s, I guess there must be some reason for that :).

  • jaykay
    Participant
    Post count: 650

    The D4 is not available yet. Wait untill March.

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    @john Deakin 252634 wrote:

    The D3s is SOoooo GOOD they will be kept as second bodies and not sold :).

    +++++++10
    or you keep them as your primary body and dont upgrade at all – its THAT good.
    you dont need any other reason.

  • Alvin
    Participant
    Post count: 923

    I’m sure the Nikon D3s as well as the Canon 1Ds3 and 1D4 are all fantastic cameras (unfortunately I don’t yet own any of these now old generation top end bodies).
    But you can bet your life on it that the new Nikon D4 and the Canon 1DX will be better than thier predecessors.
    As the now older D3s is still and will always be a great body – there is no need to upgrade from it – and it probably makes no economic sense either!
    But – if you want to have the best – then the D4 it must be.
    And there are many who “must” have the best – so there will be D3s and 1Ds3 and 1D4 on the 2nd hand market soon.

  • Roberto
    Participant
    Post count: 1705

    You having a slow week Peter?

  • Gerrit Laubscher
    Participant
    Post count: 233

    Agree with John and Alvin … but I’ll take a 2nd hand D3s if somone wants to play with a new toy.

  • ATB Photography
    Participant
    Post count: 66

    Well here goes, i will possible set the trend. I am having a problem with my various camera set ups. I have a D3s which i use with a 24-70mm as my main body and a D300s with a 70-200mm. The problem is that the D300s crop factor gives me lots of trouble as i find it very hard to use the 70-200mm in the chapels when doing my wedding photography. Hence i need to get a new body plus i want both bodies to be the same. The option on the cards is that i can get rid of both cameras and replace them with D4’s, or replace the D300s with another D3s. I am seriously considering the D4’s. Considering this what offers are on the table. The D3s camers has a low actuation count.

  • jaykay
    Participant
    Post count: 650

    @ATB Photography 252683 wrote:

    Well here goes, i will possible set the trend. I am having a problem with my various camera set ups. I have a D3s which i use with a 24-70mm as my main body and a D300s with a 70-200mm. The problem is that the D300s crop factor gives me lots of trouble as i find it very hard to use the 70-200mm in the chapels when doing my wedding photography. Hence i need to get a new body plus i want both bodies to be the same. The option on the cards is that i can get rid of both cameras and replace them with D4’s, or replace the D300s with another D3s. I am seriously considering the D4’s. Considering this what offers are on the table. The D3s camers has a low actuation count.

    How about using a 24-120VR f/4 with the D300s? More usefull range for weddings on DX. And a lot cheaper than 2 x D4!

  • ATB Photography
    Participant
    Post count: 66

    Unfortunately many of the churches are very dark hence i often shoot at F2.8. I also like the 200mm for the zoom work and the body slimming properties the lens provides. The 24-120 has a nice focal range but with the D300s, i have noticed that you get definite grain degeneration from about ISO 640 upwards. This will be a problem with an F4 lens as you will have to shoot at a higher ISO and will loose image quality even further. For venues with good light the F4 lens may be the solution.
    cheers

  • Irene McCullagh
    Participant
    Post count: 982

    as has already been mentioned, the D4 is not physically on the market,
    so who would sell their work-horse body before being able to replace it
    with a new one? :confused:

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Irene to get the highest price from a camera that is still ‘current’ and then use that money to buy the D4 but you cant improve perfection….The Pixel pitch of the D4 is smaller as Kobus says so even with increased ISO ‘capability’ the quality JUST wont be there so why ‘upgrade’
    Still no D3s in the Classifieds…not likely to be either until about 2016 when D5 is due

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @john Deakin 252634 wrote:

    The D3s is SOoooo GOOD they will be kept as second bodies and not sold :).

    Peter, Moose P says he is ‘up grading’ as soon as he can get his hands on a couple of D4’s, and he will be selling his D3s, I guess there must be some reason for that :).

    Easy explanation…Moose is sponsored by Nikon and is a wealthy guy in his own right so sure as eggs when the D5 comes, D6 and 7 ….He will have them all regardless

  • Dodging
    Participant
    Post count: 300

    So, Peter – are you suggesting Nikon will launch a new flagship that is worse than their previous one? That just doesn’t make any sense to me, because I’ve noticed something with Nikon – whenever they release a new camera, it is way better than its predecessor.

    Why would they want to change that way of operating now all of a sudden? They made the D3 and the technology is theirs – why would they now decide to go develop in reverse gear?

  • Gerrit Bastiaanse
    Participant
    Post count: 86

    In reading the latest article on Rob Galbraith’s website “Q&A with Nikon D4 engineer Toshiaki Akagi” it seems as if there are indeed a couple of areas where they can better the faultless D3s (or are we not allowed to say this). Please note that this is totally tongue in the cheeck, one should not be serious about stuff like this (but Toyota IS better than Land Rover!) :rolleyes:

  • Alvin
    Participant
    Post count: 923

    You must have your head in the sand if you can’t see that the D4 is going to eclipse the D3s

  • Anonymous
    Post count: 479

    http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2012/01/16/600f4vr-d3s-for-sale/

    Moose is selling πŸ™‚ also his 600 f/4 ….. is there a new one due out I wonder ? hahahah

    or maybe he is going 1Dx eeeek hahah

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @peter Betts 252625 wrote:

    Normally when cameras get replaced with a new model there are many used bargains going all over the place in various Classified advertisements. The Canon 40D gets replaced by the 50D and there are hundreds of 40Ds selling at good prices as the owners seek to get the new model…Same on the Nikon sidewith say the Nikon D300 replacing the D200 or the D2x being replaced with the D3 (There were plenty D2x in the classified section)

    ….now along comes the much vaunted Nikon D4 and I havent seen ONE D3S for Sale advert anywhere….Now why can that be??;);)

    because D3s owners cannot replace there camera’s … hmmm wonder why?? maybe because the D4 is not in the shops yet??????? but hey I just think horizontally …

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @dodging 252748 wrote:

    So, Peter – are you suggesting Nikon will launch a new flagship that is worse than their previous one? That just doesn’t make any sense to me, because I’ve noticed something with Nikon – whenever they release a new camera, it is way better than its predecessor.

    Why would they want to change that way of operating now all of a sudden? They made the D3 and the technology is theirs – why would they now decide to go develop in reverse gear?

    hahaha … good point, but I think everybody will doubt the D4 till the reviews start coming … sure is will be a load better than the D3s, till then take Peter’s comments with a pinch of salt (maybe you will need a spade) … as i dont think he has actually taken a picture with a D4 … still early days!

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @alvin 252763 wrote:

    You must have your head in the sand if you can’t see that the D4 is going to eclipse the D3s

    hahahaha … or up a D3s ass!

  • Dodging
    Participant
    Post count: 300

    I think the problem here is that all we have to work with is a spec sheet, and on the spec sheet they seem really close. Once people have had the time to test the D4 we’ll only understand how well it works…

    It’s almost like when you look at a KTM Xbow (it’s a track car) or an Atom – when you look at the specs it says very little (plus it’s ugly as sin), but once you take it around a track you understand just how brilliant it is

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    exactly. you dont buy a camera on its white sheet. Not even Nikon.

  • Anonymous
    Post count: 479

    @elsahoffmann 252980 wrote:

    exactly. you dont buy a camera on its white sheet. Not even Nikon.

    Elsa, judging by all the reports of pre orders across the world, and even at ODP, it seems that many thousands already have bought a D4 “on its white sheet”.

  • Alvin
    Participant
    Post count: 923

    “Nothing endures but change.”

  • Morkel Erasmus
    Participant
    Post count: 720

    @john Deakin 252989 wrote:

    Elsa, judging by all the reports of pre orders across the world, and even at ODP, it seems that many thousands already have bought a D4 “on its white sheet”.

    Is your name on that list, John? πŸ˜‰

  • elsahoffmann
    Moderator
    Post count: 3716

    @Morkel Erasmus 253008 wrote:

    Is your name on that list, John? πŸ˜‰

    LMAO

    Morkel – you are sharp.

  • Anonymous
    Post count: 479

    @Morkel Erasmus 253008 wrote:

    Is your name on that list, John? πŸ˜‰

    no Morkel, it isn’t. Is yours ?

  • Surly Ghillie
    Participant
    Post count: 600

    @john Deakin 253015 wrote:

    no Morkel, it isn’t. Is yours ?

    please guys, stop squabling about it and feel free to put my name down. small deposit from either or both of you would be highly appreciated. My unborn grandchildren will thank you.

  • Anonymous
    Post count: 479

    @Surly Ghillie 253016 wrote:

    please guys, stop squabling about it and feel free to put my name down. small deposit from either or both of you would be highly appreciated. My unborn grandchildren will thank you.

    Damn, Sean still hasn’t given that simple ‘LIKE’ button !!! πŸ™‚

  • Roberto
    Participant
    Post count: 1705
  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @alvin 252763 wrote:

    You must have your head in the sand if you can’t see that the D4 is going to eclipse the D3s

    Sure as a MUCH better video camera….still has the same ISO range apart from 100 at the bottom end and smaller pixels etc etc Oh yes it is 1 frame a second faster than the D3S..all I need is 7-8 and some quaint yet to be proved new Card slot…RAW Buffer where will that be too…When the D300 and D3 were announced the Classifieds were FULL of D200’s , D2X’s etc etc LONG before the cameras hit the shelves…Wonder why that hasnt happened now.

    I think the D4 is a super camera to look at…Ergonomically its even better to hold it seems from initial write ups with strategic bumps in the right places..Its an awesome video camera compared to the D3S according to the specs but IF I had R60K cash to get a 2nd body in Feb I would get a R50K D3S and use the R10K to get a Zeiss 35 mm F2 T* Distagon ZF.2 lens and run like hell

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @peter Betts 253030 wrote:

    Sure as a MUCH better video camera….still has the same ISO range apart from 100 at the bottom end and smaller pixels etc etc Oh yes it is 1 frame a second faster than the D3S..all I need is 7-8 and some quaint yet to be proved new Card slot…RAW Buffer where will that be too…When the D300 and D3 were announced the Classifieds were FULL of D200’s , D2X’s etc etc LONG before the cameras hit the shelves…Wonder why that hasnt happened now.

    Peter we dont deny the D3s is a good camera, I know the D2x was a **** camera … lets wait and see when the D4 is finally on the shelves or the first proper reviews start coming in, my guess is because the D3s is a good camera they will slowly make it to the classifieds, but to the classifieds they will go!

  • Creeper
    Participant
    Post count: 1419

    @john Deakin 252989 wrote:

    Elsa, judging by all the reports of pre orders across the world, and even at ODP, it seems that many thousands already have bought a D4 “on its white sheet”.

    Those people are called early adopters.

  • Morkel Erasmus
    Participant
    Post count: 720

    @john Deakin 253015 wrote:

    no Morkel, it isn’t. Is yours ?

    Nope, and both my wife and bank manager are glad about that πŸ˜‰

  • Morkel Erasmus
    Participant
    Post count: 720

    @Surly Ghillie 253016 wrote:

    please guys, stop squabling about it and feel free to put my name down. small deposit from either or both of you would be highly appreciated. My unborn grandchildren will thank you.

    Shot, Wolf! πŸ™‚
    I’ll lay down R20 as a first deposit. John can match me Rand-for-Rand and the rest can come out of your grandchildren’s trust fund or estate πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

  • Robbie A
    Participant
    Post count: 869
  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Sure Etienne agree with you…I said I would never sell my D700 (miss it terribly) but I did so yes onto the classifieds it went…I see Ruby Wolff now has a D3 on classifieds so yes the D3S’s will come but in my case …I am waiting for the D4S or D5 or D800 if its nota zillion M Pixels

  • Mark Dumbleton
    Participant
    Post count: 287

    I have a D3s and will be selling it for a D4, as soon as I know there is stock available.

    For me it makes a lot of sense – I do a lot of bird photography and a buffer of 70 or so RAW files is amazing, and doing that with more resolution, better AF and better ISO quality make it a no-brainer for me. Also 16MP would be awesome for me for my landscape work.

    So yip, D3s will still remain an amazing camera, but I feel the D4 can offer me more technology to push the boundries.

  • Mark Dumbleton
    Participant
    Post count: 287

    Forgot to mention the increased dynamic range – that is going to be very nice indeed!

  • Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant
    Post count: 6513

    I doubt anybody will sell cameras now unless they can *risk* being without a camera… production for canon and nikon has taken a hit last year… how many cameras will be available in the first weeks or months? nobody knows for sure…

    If you need a camera, selling the D3s now to get max value just wont work…

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Interesting quite a few D2xs and original D3 2nd hand cameras for sale in the classifieds…still waiting for the first D3S to appear:)

  • jaykay
    Participant
    Post count: 650

    @peter Betts 253248 wrote:

    Sure Etienne agree with you…I said I would never sell my D700 (miss it terribly) but I did so yes onto the classifieds it went…I see Ruby Wolff now has a D3 on classifieds so yes the D3S’s will come but in my case …I am waiting for the D4S or D5 or D800 if its nota zillion M Pixels

    And now that the D800 has a zillion pixels?

  • Hendrik van Rooyen
    Participant
    Post count: 277

    I picked up a very nice 2nd hand D3s from the classifieds a while ago – still boxed, under 3000 actuations, the straps were still in plastic – together with a 85mm f1.5 also like new.

    I flew to George to pick it up in person.

    When they do show up you have to jump.

  • swainsons
    Participant
    Post count: 422

    Joh…. but you okes can carry on hey….

  • Mark Dumbleton
    Participant
    Post count: 287

    Peter Betts, I believe your views have changed somewhat on the D4?

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @mark Dumbleton 255267 wrote:

    Peter Betts, I believe your views have changed somewhat on the D4?

    hahaha … that will be the day, Peter is in his hole all by him self and he cannot admit that he is in one … Peter put down the shovel and admit that the D4 is going to be a great camera and you will end up buying one!

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @mark Dumbleton 255267 wrote:

    Peter Betts, I believe your views have changed somewhat on the D4?

    Complete turnaround….thanks for ruining my equilibrium:D..I have even madea space in my safe…even though it will be only occupied in Nov/Dec earliest!

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @etienne Oosthuizen 255293 wrote:

    hahaha … that will be the day, Peter is in his hole all by him self and he cannot admit that he is in one … Peter put down the shovel and admit that the D4 is going to be a great camera and you will end up buying one!

    Etienne you know me too well…by the end of this year hopefully your prediction will be true LOL…Now give me R60K for my current camera so I can make it happen earlier

  • Niel du Plessis
    Participant
    Post count: 4

    Hi Peter Selling my D3s now for 45,, its still in mint condition , upgrading to D4, mail me [email protected]

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @jaykay 254765 wrote:

    And now that the D800 has a zillion pixels?

    Never its too much the D800..Its not a wild life camera but an excellent Landscape camera or studio camera ..ie it lives ona tripod

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    45K ..I paid R47K for a BRAND NEW one…1 post new member …SPAM!!!!

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @niel du Plessis 256285 wrote:

    Hi Peter Selling my D3s now for 45,, its still in mint condition , upgrading to D4, mail me [email protected]

    R45 K …LOL I got mine Brand new in RSA for R47K….New Member 1 post….SPAMMMMMM!!

  • Peter Veitch
    Participant
    Post count: 2538

    @peter Betts 256329 wrote:

    R45 K …LOL I got mine Brand new in RSA for R47K….New Member 1 post….SPAMMMMMM!!

    Peter, I think the joke is on you this time despite the price he wants. Suggest you go take a look at his web site.:p

  • Mark Dumbleton
    Participant
    Post count: 287

    45k, way too steep! Will be lucky to get 35k.

    D4 all the way Peter!

  • Peter Veitch
    Participant
    Post count: 2538

    @mark Dumbleton 256338 wrote:

    45k, way too steep! Will be lucky to get 35k.D4 all the way Peter!

    Mark, I thought Nikon only appreciated in value!(-:

  • Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant
    Post count: 6513

    I think R45k is a bit high… especially with more of them sitting and waiting for D4’s to arrive. As soon as those D4’s hit the shelves and camera bags, that D3s price will drop like a rock until the flood as subsided and they get back in demand again.

  • Roberto
    Participant
    Post count: 1705

    @niel du Plessis 256285 wrote:

    Hi Peter Selling my D3s now for 45,, its still in mint condition , upgrading to D4, mail me [email protected]

    Hi Niel, ill buy your D3s…

    I bought Ernie Els TaylorMade clubs the other day and you won’t believe how it improved my game :eek πŸ˜‰

  • Niel du Plessis
    Participant
    Post count: 4

    Thx Peter for coming up for me. only got 40 as its only 4 months old(offtopic) joke is on you;);), dunno where you buy your cameras in SA but last price I saw was 53 new ,, so let me know where i can get a D4 please ,you can probably get it for 50 right;)?

  • Niel du Plessis
    Participant
    Post count: 4

    As long as it improves your game, sound like you need it 😎

  • Niel du Plessis
    Participant
    Post count: 4

    SPAMM;);), Im buying my new D4 through you for 50 right?;)

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @peter Betts 256329 wrote:

    R45 K …LOL I got mine Brand new in RSA for R47K….New Member 1 post….SPAMMMMMM!!

    how is this a positive post for a new member? … Peter dont be so eager to out do other people … where you see the 1 post as a newbie that does not know what he is doing, I see a experienced person selling his D3s (who ever owns that camera surely is not new to the world of photography ….)

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    Now that the D4 is available … Peter check the classifieds now … D3’s are popping up thick and fast, but not just that look at the amount of other Nikon gear is for sale … alot of people want the D4 …

  • jaykay
    Participant
    Post count: 650

    Sorry I can’t see it. In the last 2 weeks there in only one D3s for sale on the classifieds……

    @etienne Oosthuizen 257550 wrote:

    Now that the D4 is available … Peter check the classifieds now … D3’s are popping up thick and fast, but not just that look at the amount of other Nikon gear is for sale … alot of people want the D4 …

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @etienne Oosthuizen 257550 wrote:

    Now that the D4 is available … Peter check the classifieds now … D3’s are popping up thick and fast, but not just that look at the amount of other Nikon gear is for sale … alot of people want the D4 …

    You are right Etienne and Guys like Johann G will love it asa Bird photographer with its 70 Buffer RAW @ 14 Bit uncompressed.

    I love the 100 ISO
    Large Buffer
    Supposed increased Dynamic range over the current very good performance
    even Better AF

    What I was really hoping for was a stop better perfomance or more at normal Early morning ISO settings up to 12800 but after getting all excited I saw an interview with a Nikon Engineer and while all the above he agreed with BUT said the Low Light High ISO performance of the D3S will not be bettered or will be the same and for me that means no need to change..Obviously I must wait for the Real reviews and comparisons etc but if ISO 6400 on the D3S is the same as the D4 or very close…no point even with higher res and ISO 100 etc..Guess my D3S will wait until the D4S in 2 years time or D5 in 4 yrs time

  • Etienne Oosthuizen
    Participant
    Post count: 754

    @jaykay 257571 wrote:

    Sorry I can’t see it. In the last 2 weeks there in only one D3s for sale on the classifieds……

    I have seen 4 in that period (they snapped up quick) …

  • Lefty
    Participant
    Post count: 44

    Picked up the D4 brochure at Digital Experience in Fourways over the weekend.
    Didn’t see the D800 one though.

    Love those Nikon brochures…

  • MartynK
    Participant
    Post count: 54

    I’m in the UK at the moment. Some people pre-ordered the D800 and D4, but the D700 and D3s aren’t flooding the used market here either. I think quite a lot of people are adopting a wait and see attitude.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx

Loading...