Computer wont read NEF/RAW Files2010-10-28T14:26:42+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Digital Darkroom Digital Image Processing Computer wont read NEF/RAW Files

Computer wont read NEF/RAW Files

  • Author
    Posts
  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Hi

    I have just got my new D3s and decided on day 3 to give it a first run taking a few pics of my running Border Collie.

    I have CS3 and am thinking of upgrading it to CS5…I thought I had set the camera to FX and when I was watching it download on my screen I noticed the images were not as largeas my D700 at about 24 Mb per image..these were about 14. something. I chose one in photoshop but before this instead of showing the thumbnail it just showed the blue logo of each pic as NEF no so much. I opened and it wouldnt open and gavea warning message..canyt open..incorrect document …HEEEELLP:confused::confused: I checked the menu and it said DX so cancelled that and now hopefully FX is back??..I haventa clue!!

  • kobuspotgieter
    Participant
    Post count: 499

    Adobe stop supporting newer cameras as soon as a newer version of Photoshop is available. CS3 was upgraded before the release of D3s and will not read the D3s RAW.

    You would have immediately noticed if your camera was in DX mode through the viewfinder. Your D700 was probably set to 14 bit uncompressed RAW and the D3s probably to something like 12bit lossless compressed, hence the difference in file size.

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    @kobuspotgieter 221047 wrote:

    Adobe stop supporting newer cameras as soon as a newer version of Photoshop is available. CS3 was upgraded before the release of D3s and will not read the D3s RAW.

    You would have immediately noticed if your camera was in DX mode through the viewfinder. Your D700 was probably set to 14 bit uncompressed RAW and the D3s probably to something like 12bit lossless compressed, hence the difference in file size.

    Kobus I think you are onto something here..so what you are saying to me…NO MORE Photoshop/Playing with images until I upgrade to CS5???

  • Anonymous
    Participant
    Post count: 2156

    @peter Betts 221053 wrote:

    Kobus I think you are onto something here..so what you are saying to me…NO MORE Photoshop/Playing with images until I upgrade to CS5???

    You might get around the upgrade by converting the NEF to DNG with Adobe’s free DNG converter – http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Thanks William..Ja Kobus I have gone to my menus and I changed/switched off DX and chose FX uncompressed and took a pic of the door handle and it downloaded unopenable at 23.9 mb same as D700 was

    My poor Credit card is stuffed..was only R500 overdrawn a week ago now!!!

  • kobuspotgieter
    Participant
    Post count: 499

    @williams 221054 wrote:

    You might get around the upgrade by converting the NEF to DNG with Adobe’s free DNG converter – http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

    Or use the free ViewNX2 as Raw converter and export 16bit TIFF’s for further editing in Photoshop.

  • kobuspotgieter
    Participant
    Post count: 499

    @peter Betts 221055 wrote:

    Thanks William..Ja Kobus I have gone to my menus and I changed/switched off DX and chose FX uncompressed

    Not really worth it to use uncompressed if you have lossless compressed available. Difference between 12bit and 14bit also debatable. You argued that 1 of the reasons to have a D3s is the bigger buffer. The difference in buffer size between 12bit lossless compressed and 14bit uncompressed is huge!!

  • Piet Venter
    Participant
    Post count: 623

    @kobuspotgieter 221056 wrote:

    Or use the free ViewNX2 as Raw converter and export 16bit TIFF’s for further editing in Photoshop.

    Peter, this is probably your best/cheapest option until you upgrade to CS5.
    Congratulations on getting your new camera – I am sure it will give you much joy.
    I am at Pardise Beach (J’Bay) for a couple of weeks. We will be staying at the Hapoor chalet/cottage in Addo from Sunday until Tuesday. Maybe I will run into you at Addo?

  • Piet Venter
    Participant
    Post count: 623

    @kobuspotgieter 221057 wrote:

    Not really worth it to use uncompressed if you have lossless compressed available.

    I have read much about the various options Nikons offer the user and came to the conclusion that Lossless Compressed NEF is the ideal file format to use. There is no degradation of image quality – this has been proven by many photographers with a lot more knowledge about the intricacies of the matter than I care to possess (but I am grateful for them sharing their expertise).

  • swainsons
    Participant
    Post count: 422

    I think you lucky D3 users can also shoot in TIFF, if I am not mistaken.

    Have lots of fun with your new toy.

    Regards

  • peterah
    Participant
    Post count: 535

    @swainsons 221060 wrote:

    I think you lucky D3 users can also shoot in TIFF, if I am not mistaken.

    Yep, but on my Nikon, the Tiff recording results in files almost twice as large as lossless compressed 😮

  • Peter Betts
    Participant
    Post count: 1250

    Thanks for all the tips about Lossless compressed..will try…Going to order Upgrade CS3 to CS5…R1400 plus VAT

  • Warren Williams
    Participant
    Post count: 175

    Hi Peter,

    Good luck with our new D3s & CS5, you moving forward BIG TIME need help pay me a visit.:)

  • Willem Semmelink
    Participant
    Post count: 190

    Just a question… do you D3 guys use CaptureNX at all, or is PS5 the way to go for that camera?

  • Piet Venter
    Participant
    Post count: 623

    @W Semmelink 221101 wrote:

    Just a question… do you D3 guys use CaptureNX at all, or is PS5 the way to go for that camera?

    Even though I have CS4 on my PC I use Nikon Capture NX2 almost exclusively to process NEF images delivered by my D3 and D300 cameras.
    I use CS4 occasionally for difficulot cloning jobs and perspective control.
    I also use Photomatix Pro occasionally for HDR images and then feed the Tiff into NX2 for final processing.

  • Willem Semmelink
    Participant
    Post count: 190

    Thanks Piet – my workflow is similar, though my camera is still older. I was concerned that a camera upgrade may necessitate upgraded software, too.

  • Piet Venter
    Participant
    Post count: 623

    Nikon is very good at keeping their software updated to read Nikon NEF files. Not that there are no problems – NX2 can’t process RAW files from a Nikon P7000 when a speedlight (SB800 e.g.) is used. 😡 I am sure they will address the problem soon.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx

Loading...