Canon 70-200 f/4 advice2011-08-16T20:42:05+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Canon 70-200 f/4 advice

Canon 70-200 f/4 advice

• Author
    Participant

I’m looking for a little advice on this lens, I have a good friend who is willing to sell it to me. What I’m looking for mainly is how much I should be willing to pay for it. I know its in fairly good condition, a few scratches etc on the outside (mainly the lens hood) but as far as I can tell nothing on the glass. The lens is about 2 or 3 years old. He gave me a rough price of R5000. I’ve been trying to get an estimate of other prices off ODP and they seem to vary between R4000 and R5000? But R5000 is only about a 1000 cheaper than a brand new one. Am I over paying if pay 5k for it? Or is it reasonable to ask something lower, possibly R4500 or so?

Thanks in advance for any advice given 🙂

• Jacques Matthysen
    Participant

Hi. The f4 is a fantastic lens with its rather inexpensive price. I bought mine brand new from Orms (R 6495.00 – sorry ODP) and absolutely love it! I love mine so much that if I do ever sell it (witch is still in more than perfect condition – scratch free), I will let it go for R 5000 to R 5500.00. It would however bother me if the “body” of the lens is badly scratched. In that case R 4000.00 to R 4500.00 sound about right. If it was me, I’ll bite the bullet and spend another R 1000.00 for the new….Hope that helps.

• Mike Wrankmore
    Participant

It’s a great lens…..it just depends how much you are willing to pay….it you wait long enough you will get one cheaper on ODP…..R4500 would be a fair price second hand…..i would not pay R5000 second hand unless i absolutely had to have that lens now.The only reason i buy second hand lenses……and i do……is if they are substantially cheaper than new!

• cagenuts
    Participant

Are you sure you want this lens? Do you need f4 across the entire focal range and have steady hands/tripod to counter the non image stabilisation?

Just asking because for the same money there are variable aperture lenses that have IS and a further reach and arguably the same IQ.

Offer him R4.5k

• Anonymous
    Participant

I’m keeping an eye on this thread. I recently lent my beloved f/4 to a mate and I’m pretty sure he’s going to want to buy it. I was thinking of letting it go for somewhere between R4000 and R4500.

It is an awesome lens which has paid for itself countless times over.

• [email protected]
    Participant

I paid just over R4000 for mine second which was in mint condition, by far my most used lens.

I would try negotiate down, if it’s between buying a second hand one for R5000 and brand new for R6000 – R6500, it’s a no brainer IMHO, go for the new one.

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

The 2nd hand rate for the f/4 non IS is between R4,000 to R4,400 if it’s in a good condition.

I don’t think the lack of IS is an issue at all though, in fact, I think for most people it would be a waste on such a short, light lens.

• Grant Atkinson
    Participant

I have no idea of used prices but it is a superb lens, whether in IS form or non-IS. I am always looking for reasons to borrow my wife’s one 🙂

• DeonRacePix
    Participant

Considering the used prices of the F2.8L version of this lens compared to that of the F4, I would say the F4 hold value extremely good owing to its relatively low price. I write under correction but it may be the most affordable L series. Even though a new one would cost 6500 at most, they often obtain prices above 5K on the used market. I would say a price between mates must be under 5K.

• ballistic
    Participant

I would say a price between mates must be under 5K.

+1,

if he is genuinely you buddy he will give it to your for R4500 or less!. After all that’s what friends are for. Hehehehe

• Chris F
    Participant

Bought mine a few months back, was on the 2nd hand shelf for R4500, paid R4200.

LOVELY lens !!

I like the idea of IS, yet I cant say that I have missed a single pic due to the lens not having IS.

PS – a new one WITH IS goes in the regioen of R15k. (but then it also goes from F4 to F2,8)

• t1lt
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I think I will ask him if I can have it for R4500 otherwise its a bit overpriced. It seems to be in the middle of the range of what most of you value this lens to be 2nd hand. To those of you asking why I don’t want to go for another lens (either IS or f/2.8 or something else in this price range), this is probably as high a price as I can pay so the IS and f/2.8 are out of the question. And I have borrowed the lens quite extensively and have always been more than happy with the results so thats not too much of a concern for me. I will keep you all posted after I’ve asked him.

Thanks again! *thumbs up*

• Provo
    Participant

Excellent lens. I bought mine 2nd hand about 2 years ago and I have never regretted it. I made the mistake of borrowing a friend’s Bigma when travelling to Kruger and was very disappointed with it. My 70-200 was streets ahead. Even if I sell all my kit, I won’t sell the 70-200.
    I think R4500 for a 2nd hand unit in good condition is a good price.
    Enjoy it!

• t1lt
    Participant

Just an update, we settled on R4.5k for the lens. He said that’s what he was really looking for the lens anyway :p Thanks for the help guys!

• Anonymous
    Participant

A fair price I think. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx