Canon 1DX Mk22017-09-17T14:41:58+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras Canon 1DX Mk2

Canon 1DX Mk2

• Author
    Participant

Hello all,

As an intermediate photographer who travels 4 – 6 times a year (KNP, Botswana, Chitake/Mana, Masai Mara in last few years) I am keen to upgrade my gear and spend more time learning about photography and post editing etc.

The lenses I have are 24 – 105 F4; 70 – 200 F2.8; 100 – 400 F4/F5.6; Sigma EX 10 – 24 F3.5

I have an old 450D and a 7D.

Most of the photos I take are wildlife with some landscape.

I was advised to get the new 7D mk2, but chatting to some mates they are punting the 1DX.

My thinking:

Go for the 1DX mk2.

Perhaps as a second body, go for the 7D mk2?

Are there any other cameras to consider in this range? Any other combinations worth looking at?

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards
    RB

• Peter Connan
    Participant

1Dxmk2 is an incredibly good camera for action photography.

So, to significantly lesser extent, is the 7Dmk2.

However, neither of these are ideally suited to landscape photography. For this, one of the 5D or 6D models would be better.

Also, are you going to keep the same lenses? Keep in mind that all your current cameras are crop-frame, but the 1Dxmk2 is a full-frame, thus you will have to crop more for the same subject distance, size and focal length combination.

• bomtek

There is nothing that you can throw at the 1Dx2 in terms of wildlife and landscape that it cannot handle.

That said, the 7D2 is substantially cheaper and will work well for wildlife and landscape.

I personally use the 5Ds for landscape and portrait and the 7D2 for wildlife.

If you have the budget for the 1Dx2 thats the one to get, otherwise the 7D2.

@Global Traveller 297799 wrote:

Hello all,

As an intermediate photographer who travels 4 – 6 times a year (KNP, Botswana, Chitake/Mana, Masai Mara in last few years) I am keen to upgrade my gear and spend more time learning about photography and post editing etc.

The lenses I have are 24 – 105 F4; 70 – 200 F2.8; 100 – 400 F4/F5.6; Sigma EX 10 – 24 F3.5

I have an old 450D and a 7D.

Most of the photos I take are wildlife with some landscape.

I was advised to get the new 7D mk2, but chatting to some mates they are punting the 1DX.

My thinking:

Go for the 1DX mk2.

Perhaps as a second body, go for the 7D mk2?

Are there any other cameras to consider in this range? Any other combinations worth looking at?

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards
    RB

• elsahoffmann

While I cant talk for anyone else – I no longer buy top of the range bodies. You turn your *ss and they are replaced with a better model – and you get squat for your old one. I therefor trod midway – so if a new body comes out – my second hand body is more affordable (easier to swing) and a newer body is more within my reach. Newer models launched are often so close to your “older” top of the range.

• Jaap van der Merwe
    Participant

I will go for the 7Dmkii and the 5Dmkiv – Both will cost less ( about R 70000 ) than a 1dxmkii ( about R 86 000 ) – use the same batteries – same chargers – back up ,if you go on a trip .
    7Dmkii + 100 – 400 ( hope it is the new 100- 400 mkii , otherwise sell the old one and buy the new one with the money you get for the old lens and what you have saved on not buying the 1Dx mkii ) ,you will have a very good wildlife and birding combination of 160mm- 640mm .
    The 5Dmkiv you can combine with the 70 – 200 F2.8 ( low light and as a combination with your 7Dmkii and 100-400 ,you now covered from 70-640 mm ) or with your 24-105 F4 lens everyday walkabout lens ( I personaly would sell the 24-105 and Sigma EX 10-24F3.5 and buy the 16-35 f4 is ( if you into landscape photography ) or 24-70 f2.8 mkii Canon lens in combination with my other two lenses .

• Peter Veitch
    Participant

@jaap van der Merwe 297804 wrote:

I will go for the 7Dmkii and the 5Dmkiv – Both will cost less ( about R 70000 ) than a 1dxmkii ( about R 86 000 ) – use the same batteries – same chargers – back up ,if you go on a trip .
    7Dmkii + 100 – 400 ( hope it is the new 100- 400 mkii , otherwise sell the old one and buy the new one with the money you get for the old lens and what you have saved on not buying the 1Dx mkii ) ,you will have a very good wildlife and birding combination of 160mm- 640mm .
    The 5Dmkiv you can combine with the 70 – 200 F2.8 ( low light and as a combination with your 7Dmkii and 100-400 ,you now covered from 70-640 mm ) or with your 24-105 F4 lens everyday walkabout lens ( I personaly would sell the 24-105 and Sigma EX 10-24F3.5 and buy the 16-35 f4 is ( if you into landscape photography ) or 24-70 f2.8 mkii Canon lens in combination with my other two lenses .

Sound advice all round. I recently sold my old and very beloved 100-400 and replaced with the new and what a beauty she is (sharp all the way to 400, AF, quick and a nice close focus for things like butterflies.). BTW, I shoot 7D2 and 5D3 (5D4 very much wish list now that I am retired)

• Global Traveller
    Participant

@jaap van der Merwe 297804 wrote:

7Dmkii [URL=”tel:+ 100 – 400″]+ 100 – 400[/URL] ( hope it is the new 100- 400 mkii , otherwise sell the old one and buy the new one with the money you get for the old lens and what you have saved on not buying the 1Dx mkii ) ,you will have a very good wildlife and birding combination of 160mm- 640mm .

Thank you Jaap, great food for thought.

The 7D mk2 sounds like a winner and one to have.

Then it comes down to the 1DX Mk2 vs the 5Dmk4? If price was not an issue, is the 1DX mk2 the one to go for?

• Peter Connan
    Participant

5Dmk4 is a 30 megapixel, 7fps camera.
    1Dx Mk2 is a 20 megapixel, 14fps camera.

Which one is better will depend on exactly what you shoot, and what you do with the photos afterwards.

• bomtek

Your original post says wildlife and some landscape. The 1dx2 is your best option if money is no object.

Even though it has similar AF system to the 7d2, it has an extra processor and therefore does the job much better.

5d4 tracks well and you get by comfortably with 7fps, its mostly a studio portrait, wedding camera and not aimed at wildlife togs.

Grant Atkinson has written some nice reviews about using 5d series for wildlife

Heres Grants review of the 5Ds, high bandwidth due to the amount of images depicted.
    http://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/using-the-canon-5dsr-for-photographing-african-wildlife

Theres also an article on the 1dx2 beta

• Jaap van der Merwe
    Participant

If money is not a problem , the 1Dx mkii is defnitely my choice ! If you buy the 1DXmkii and 7Dmkii ,I just want to warn you !!! You will quickly realize that the 1DXmkii is so much better than the 7Dmkii ,that you will always want to use the 1Dxmkii and the 7Dmkii will stay in the bag . Then you will realize that 400mm ( your longest lens on the full frame of the 1DXMKII ) is not enough lens for wildlife and birds – ;);)

• DaveK
    Participant

I agree with 5D4. Fantastic body. I have 1Dx2 and 5D4. landscape, the 5D4 every time. However, must admit, that when money was no issue, (I had a huge insurance claim), then I added 1Dx2!. Superb camera, wonderful image files especially in low light.
    Both of these cameras are incredible.
    7D2: not so much. IQ is not comparable to the other two, after iso 1600.
    Peters comment above about sums things up for me.
    D

• BrerFox
    Participant

The 7D2 is the best Canon camera for wildlife action by quite a margin, I believe.
    I do not own the 1DX2, but have owned the 1DX, 5D3, 5D4, 5DSR and 7D2.
    The 1DX is too noisy for many wildlife situations, and when I owned a 1DX and 5D3,
    I found I was using the 5D3 more and more over the 1DX.
    The 1DX is faster, of course, but I prefer to anticipate action.
    The 7D2 does not have the image quality of the others – particularly the 5D4, but
    it is a much better balanced camera that delivers better overall. The AF points on the
    full-frame cameras are too tightly grouped.
    You may disagree with me, but consider this:
    At the end of a trip, I analyse the EXIF info from every shot that I made on the trip.
    After processing my best images, I check to see which camera delivers the best results
    in terms of results – the 7D2 wins every time.
    In my trip to Kgalagadi last month, I expected the 5D4 to emerge the winner from some
    25’000 images. Surprisingly, the 7D2 won again.
    On that trip, I met an award-winning international photographer who made the exact
    same observation – his 7D2 was delivering the goods and the full-frame was not as
    well balanced.

• DaveK
    Participant

Brerfox, I’m struggling to understand this. You are suggesting (it seems) that 1Dx2 more noisy than 7D2, and not as good for wildlife action?
    (compared to 7D2)? Did I understand correctly?
    D

• Peter Connan
    Participant

I think (hope) he means mechanical (shutter) noise, not image noise?

• BrerFox
    Participant

@peter Connan 298125 wrote:

I think (hope) he means mechanical (shutter) noise, not image noise?

Thank you for the clarification, Peter, and yes, I did mean shutter noise. I understand your confusion, Dave and am sorry for that.
    The 1DX will often frighten birds and even game – especially when there is a predator around. The high frame rate, although helpful for sport, is usually not fast enough for game,
    so it is of little practical use. When a bird is flying towards you, or an animal running towards you, the AF is good enough to get two, maybe three frames in focus and then it loses focus lock.

• DaveK
    Participant

Aha, OK, I was a bit ‘doff’. Now it all makes sense. I agree 1Dx2 is a noisy beast. I sometimes use it in a quieter (and slower ) mode.
    Must say though, since I have used 1Dx 2 I have found my hit rate for BIF has taken a massive leap upwards.
    Must say though, I have also learned how to use the new focusing modes, so its difficult to understand the exact reason for progress.
    I love my 5D4. I agree its a great camera, and great IQ. I’m very interested to see if there will ever be a 7D3 what that will look like – I suspect it will be incredible, but in the meantime we have so many very very competent tools to use.
    I’m frankly usually the limiting factor:rolleyes:
    D

• BrerFox
    Participant

Nicely put, Dave, and I agree with your sentiments.
    The expanded point grouping of the Canon full-frames is regrettably too small to keep
    on a fast bird in flight, so much of the improved focus acquisition and lock of the new bodies is rendered unusable.
    Since the 7D2 team got that part of the camera right, I too have high hopes for the 7D3.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Somebody else’s view on the 1DxII’s AF performance:

https://tinmanlee.com/1dxmk2_owl2/

• DaveK
    Participant

Thanks Peter. That mirrors my experience. Wish my pics mirrored his too.
    D

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Janee, he certainly knows what he’s doing!

• BrerFox
    Participant

An impressive set of photographs indeed, but I think the blogger’s closing comments sum things up:
    “An exact quantitative analysis is not the goal of this post and I don’t have interest in it.”
    In other words, it is all a gut feeling. It is when you get into AF point expansion and focus
    modes that the finer, important details start to show. Let’s just say that I would love to
    believe the “zero to one” experience where the 1DX got everything wrong and the 1DX2 now
    gets it all right, but I don’t. I would like to applaud him for getting some sharp pictures, but
    it did take him three weeks to get them, so I am not so sure that is commendable either.
    On a related, but more practical note, I have been playing with the dual-pixel RAWs on the 5D4
    for getting sharp birds in flight. That strikes me as a real step in the right direction of sharp pictures,
    which surprisingly the 1DX2 does not implement. Have any of you played much with the focus
    adjustment to a photograph after it has been taken?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx