CameraTek service prices2018-11-12T15:51:04+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics General Photography Chat CameraTek service prices

CameraTek service prices

• Author
    Participant

I recently sent in my Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS USM II lens to just have a service and a clean. They quoted me just shy of R3000 which i find to be extremely high. There are no parts needed, this is all just labour. I cant imagine it takes that much time to justify such a high price, or am i wrong?

Evan

• Alroy
    Participant

Hi Evan, I followed up with Cameratek with regard to the quotation you received.
    When a lens is serviced/cleaned, the lens is stripped-down. The image stabilizer and lens elements are removed and cleaned. After cleaning, The image stabilizer and lens elements are reassembled. Two technicians then re-calibrate the lens manually. After the manual calibration the lens is connected to a computer for final calibration. This process can take up to a day to complete.

If you have any further questions you are welcome to contact me directly
    [email protected]

Alroy Willis

• Skyelark
    Participant

I wouldn’t “service” a lens unless it had existing issues or serious dust/contamination(visible in images to an unusable degree), it’s pointless. A lens isn’t designed to be regularly serviced and barring extreme usage(pro sports photographer perhaps) there are no components that need regular servicing. R3000 for the work involved(as Alroy has outlined) is fair.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx