Best Lenses for DLSR Video2009-12-29T11:25:01+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses Best Lenses for DLSR Video

Tagged: , ,

Best Lenses for DLSR Video

• Author
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’ve recently stepped into the SLR game after my Hv40 bit the dust and I bought a 7D.

I’m currently trying to decide what lens I should buy next. Unfortunately as the whole HDSLR thing is quiet new, no one can give you a simple straight forward answer.

So I’m throwing the question out to the the ODP community 🙂

I’m currently shooting with:
    -Canon 50mm f1.8
    -Sigma 10-20 f4+

I’m looking at getting either the,
    -Sigma 24-70 f2.8
    -Sigma 50-150 f2.8
    -Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (or possibly Canon 70-200 f4 non-IS)

Conventional wisdom would tell me to buy high quality photographic lenses, but how would a ‘cheap’ wide range zoom lens fair (eg simga 18-250)? The lower fstop wouldn’t be problem shooting in good light, and the (lack of) sharpness wouldn’t such a problem when shooting HD video (as opposed to stills). Furthermore, the IS present in these more consumer lenses would help when shooting handheld or on a monopod (I’ve shot handheld on a 5Dmii with a 70-200 f2.8 IS Canon and not got any rolling shutter).

Any thoughts or experience?

I wish I could borrow a similar lens to test, but I don’t know anyone with something similar…

• Provo
    Participant

I would still buy the best lens I could afford, as you will be using the camera for stills most of the time. A zoom is always great for video and having a wide zoom range will make it very versatile (such as the Sigma 50-500), but you will weep when your stills show poor IQ. The whole DSLR video thingie leaves me cold, as I do have a nice little HD camcorder and I use this for my video work.
    Video does not have even a tiny bit of the impact that still photos have, as the scene passes by quickly (you can rewind). Still photos are in your face and have a much greater impact.
    My 2c…. 🙂

• RossC
    Participant

Thanks for the 2c’s 🙂

So I went a bought that 24-70mm and the 70-200mm Sigma. My experience…
    For video, you definitely need IS at anything nearing 100mm, even on a monopod…

The 24-70mm has a nice zoom range for handheld video work, but the 70-200mm is very difficult to use even with a monopod. Now all of this is with video in mind obviously. The 70-200 takes great shots for the limited testing that I’ve done, but it’s primary purpose was for video. Buying FAIL.

I’ve played around a little bit with a Canon 70-300mm (f4-5.6) with IS, and it’s very usable, even at 300mm handheld. In hindsight (what a wonderful thing…), I think this is the lens I should have bought.

So on that note; I have a brand new 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma to sell (Canon mount)… any takers 😉

If anyone is interested, the first 3 videos on my Youtube page have been shot with the 7D; http://www.youtube.com/user/RossCharnock

• Leo Theron
    Participant

The most important lens accessory to buy for shooting videos is a tripod complete with a video head.

IS is something designed for still photography.

• RossC
    Participant

@leo Theron 190743 wrote:

The most important lens accessory to buy for shooting videos is a tripod complete with a video head.

IS is something designed for still photography.

Very true. And why my next purchase (probably ordering today) is going to be a tripod with fluid head.

However IS does work quiet well when shooting video handheld (or with hand rig for that matter), and sometimes I don’t want to the super stable look of a tripod even with a long lens. With IS at least I get the option of both.

I’m looking at getting a Manfrotto 055PROB with a 701HDV fluid head; any comments? Unfortunately budget is a bit restricted 😮

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx