/////Benro Gimbal Head versus Wimberley Gimbal Head – plates
Benro Gimbal Head versus Wimberley Gimbal Head – plates2011-07-22T19:27:09+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment Other Camera Equipment Benro Gimbal Head versus Wimberley Gimbal Head – plates

Benro Gimbal Head versus Wimberley Gimbal Head – plates

• Author
    Participant

I am looking to acquire either – Benro GH2 or Wimberley Head Version 2 – price difference about a R1000 on ODP – not sure about the plates though – the image of the Benro plate seems to suggest one screw for the camera foot while the wimberley plate appears to have 3 screws (3 screws means better / sturdier connection to me). Lens to be used is 400 f2.8 of about 6kg’s.

Comments or assistance would be most welcome – firstly the choice between the Benro or Wimberley and secondly the foot plate – number of screw query.

Many thanks

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

The Benro is perfect for that lens, no worries…

When you say the “plate” do you mean the mounting plate (arca swiss plate?) because the amount of screws on that plate depends on the lens (shorter or longer to be able to balance the lens, and also depending on whether the foot can handle two screws, etc)

• Marcell van Aswegen
    Participant

Hi Zane.

The Wimberley head comes without a plate, whereas the Benro is supplied with a short plate. With short I mean for a 300f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8. The supplied plate only comes with one screw thats why its perfect for above mentioned lenses. We do stock various lengths plates with either 1,2 or 3 screw configurations. For a 400f2.8 youll typically use a 150mm plate with 2x 1/4″ screws. Youll need a thread reducer bush for the 400’s second hole which has a 3/8″ thread.

If you buy a wimberley plate, a high quality reducer bush will be supplied in the bag.

If you go for a Benro plate, youll need a 2nd screw and the reducer bush. Which we do sell separately.

Hope this helps.

• ZaneCH
    Participant

Thank you Sean and Marcell – your comments are most valuable.

The plate I referred to is the Arca-Swiss mounting plate – 3 holes on the lens foot in the following configuration | o O o | foot is at least 160mm long. Middle hole is the larger diameter – bush required. My concern was that I bought the incorrect mounting plate. So it seems my dilemma is resolved. I just need to make sure that I request the correct plate and screw (bush) for the lens foot when acquiring from ODP.

Choice of tripod – I am fit and strong – weight never worries me – Benro Aluminium A3570 – will this do the job? – carbon fibre version is priced beyond my current means – I could just wait for more funds then buy the carbon fibre – in the interim – resort to beanbag shooting and monopod or using some form of makeshift rest/beanbag when shooting from a car or handheld 🙂 if the need arises.

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

I’d personally suggest the carbon fibre, it’s an investment, really is… maybe also consider the panning plate and beanbag setup?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx