/////Avoiding refelctions in windows
Avoiding refelctions in windows2017-07-07T12:21:09+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras Avoiding refelctions in windows

Avoiding refelctions in windows

• Author
    Participant

Hello Guys,

Have to do a shoot in a mall, product behind the windows….

One of the problems I am foreseeing, is picking up reflections of shops opposite the windows/ nasty lights/ people walking past/ even my own reflection in the window am trying to photograph.

How can I get past this?

Regards

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Polarising filter?

• Gerd
    Participant

Polarizer!

• Leo Theron
    Participant

@gerd 297378 wrote:

Polarizer!

You can only remove reflections that are from an already polarized light source – like a section of sky. In the mall, you are in trouble!

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Thanks Leo, learnt something there!

• Gerd
    Participant

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Leo is not quite correct :[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Light is not polarized by its source, it becomes polarized by reflection !![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    In your case in the mall you might get some results but maybe not quite satisfactory but you could try and do the rest wit PS.[/FONT]

• elsahoffmann

I am intrigued – why on earth do you have to shoot product behind the windows?

• Gerd
    Participant

Elsa, if you smash the window to get rid of the reflections you get arrested or you might even get shot……:p

• elsahoffmann

@gerd 297401 wrote:

Elsa, if you smash the window to get rid of the reflections you get arrested or you might even get shot……:p

Good point 😉 but that doesnt answer my question ! 🙂

• swainsons
    Participant

Did a test shoot yesterday. The only way you wil get rid of reflections is by building a massive screen around window.

Elsa, product is inside window bay, hence we have to shoot this side of glass

• elsahoffmann

@swainsons 297404 wrote:

Did a test shoot yesterday. The only way you wil get rid of reflections is by building a massive screen around window.

clearly I got that bit – but WHY is product behind the window bay? Who shoots products this way? Why are they expecting you to shoot it there and not like any other product? This is the part that has me perplexed 🙂

• swainsons
    Participant

Maybe product is not the right word…. Its the branding inside the shop windows…. and the windows are dressed with all sorts of stuff, large banners, manequins etc etc…. Sandton window for instance is 8m wide x 3 odd meters high, and they want a picture of that window with the goodies inside.

Trying to upload a picture but not winning…

• elsahoffmann

now that makes sense – and I can see why it is such a mission!

• Leo Theron
    Participant

@swainsons 297404 wrote:

And Gerd said:

Leo is not quite correct :

Light is not polarized by its source, it becomes polarized by reflection !!
    In your case in the mall you might get some results but maybe not quite satisfactory but you could try and do the rest wit PS.

Sorry Gerd – Swains found the truth the hard way…

The answer is simple – if the reflections are coming straight from the window – you in front and can see yourself in the window – the reflection is NOT polarized and a polarizer will then have no effect. HOWEVER – if you look down the passage (in the shopping centre) and you see reflections at an ANGLE to the windows, they will disappear when you rotate your polarizer. The light at and angle from a window is then polarized.

This is the same with sky… When you look SOUTH in the late afternoon, the reflection from the sky is polarized light and it will darken as you turn your polarizer to THE OPTIMUM ANGLE. Looking to the EAST, the polarizer with have NO EFFECT, irrespective of the angle…

SO: Light is polarized IF it is reflected from a surface ANGLED to the source – but a straight reflection (you if front of the window for example) NO POLARISATION

BUT: You can fully polarize your light source by putting a polarizer in front of it.

NOW – what is that white dot on the polarizer for?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx