/////Avian Blast off Photography.
Avian Blast off Photography.2017-08-26T15:30:48+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics Beginners Forum Avian Blast off Photography.

Avian Blast off Photography.

• Author
    Participant

I did spend the afternoon to try and get an image of the birds “Blasting off” in my garden. Results sucked.

Any pointers on locations to do this in Gauteng.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Very difficult. Location doesn’t really make it easier IMO, but the more activity there is the more times you can try.

I think your best bet is probably the perches in front of the hides at Marievale, Rietvlei or Austen Roberts, but they will not be appreciably better or worse than a well designed feeder and perch setup in your own garden.

The trick i think is that AF is still a little too slow to keep up with sudden acceleration. But if you set up a perch at the same distance from you as the feeder, the birds may land on the perch first, giving you a good opportunity.

Another good bet is to find a weaver nesting colony.

• Keith Baxter
    Participant

Thank you for your thoughts Peter.

I did have a little practice yesterday afternoon. My neighbour feeds the doves and pigeons right opposite/behind my feeding station and the birds do blast off when disturbed.

To get the blur I am using a ss of 200. Will see if I can get some nice shots later this afternoon after the GP.

• Keith Baxter
    Participant

Hmmm…. I aborted the idea of staging blast off’s this afternoon. My patio has stacking glass doors. Whilst watching the F1 GP I heard my neighbours dogs bark, next thing there was a thud as a dove flew into one of the closed glass doors. It was so heart breaking to witness what this poor creature went through before it died. There was just nothing one could do to save this poor bird.

I will need to make sure that nets are in place so that the alarmed birds do not fly into the windows and the safety of the birds is ensured.

Feeling guttered.

• SimonDP

To get birds on take-off using AF you need a top line body, and a top line lens. The rest just react and update AF tracking too slow. So prefocus, and then manually refocus to a point just off from the perch, and hope they lift off into the frame. Also frame more loose, and place the bird on the lower corner of the frame, leaving space in the frame for them to move into the frame. Why would you want to catch them initially at 1/200??????? Learn to get the timing, anticipation, tracking, focus, framing all good, then work towards getting slower ss motion blur. Start at 1/1000 or faster initially.

• Keith Baxter
    Participant

@simondp 297658 wrote:

To get birds on take-off using AF you need a top line body, and a top line lens. The rest just react and update AF tracking too slow. So prefocus, and then manually refocus to a point just off from the perch, and hope they lift off into the frame. Also frame more loose, and place the bird on the lower corner of the frame, leaving space in the frame for them to move into the frame. Why would you want to catch them initially at 1/200??????? Learn to get the timing, anticipation, tracking, focus, framing all good, then work towards getting slower ss motion blur. Start at 1/1000 or faster initially.

Thank you for the pointers Simon. Pointers and suggestions most appreciated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx