/////Astrophotogaphy with 35mm Film Camera
Astrophotogaphy with 35mm Film Camera2019-03-25T11:21:02+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Photo Topics Outdoor Photography Topics Astrophotogaphy with 35mm Film Camera

Astrophotogaphy with 35mm Film Camera

• Author
    Participant

Hi Everybody,

I am thinking of resurrecting my old Ricoh KR5 film camera to try and take some astro photos, I only have 800 ISO film left (very old).

What I would like to ascertain is which rule 4oo, 500 or 600 would be the best. I will be using a prime 55mm f2.2, manual focus lens on the camera.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dick.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Hi Dick

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings

To get pin-point stars with that lens, your shutter speed should be around 10 seconds maximum. Correct exposure at such a short shutter speed and f2.2 would require an ISO close to 9 000.

Thus really your only bet is to do star trails. Try an hour at f5.6 and ISO800 or half an hour at f4.0?

• Tricky Dicky
    Participant

Dear Peter,

Thanks for the advice, I will try Star Trails.

Just for my info, how did you come to the figure of about 9000 ISO. I understand the calculation of the 10 seconds, as for the ISO, I have not come across any calculation as yet.

Thanks.

Dick.

• Peter Connan
    Participant

Hi Dick

In my limited experience, you need a combined exposure of around 7.3EV.

I developed myself a little spreadsheet which works out this and several other factors, so that I don’t have to do all the calculations by hand each time. If you want, I could mail it to you.

• Tricky Dicky
      Participant

Hi Peter,

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner, I was out of contact for a while.

Yes, I would be interested in your spread sheet. My email address is:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Dick.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx