/////AF with the Nikon 1.7X convertor
AF with the Nikon 1.7X convertor2007-11-17T19:11:15+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses AF with the Nikon 1.7X convertor

AF with the Nikon 1.7X convertor

• Author
    Participant

Lots of people have asked me recently if my 1.7X convertor allows my 200-400 f4 lens to Auto focus. To be honest I have only used the 1.4 on this lens and that gave 280-560 f5.6 and it focuses brilliantly. Everyone i know just about has a 500/600 of some persuasion and I was feeling horribly pressurised to take the gap. So mid afternoon I set up the Gitzo Tripod with the Sidekick and put the 1.7 on the 200-400 and mounted it on the Sidekick, giving me a 340-680 f6.7 (as you loose 1.5 stops with this convertor) Now I have always read and been told that anything over f5.6 cant auto focus, but nobody seems to have told the Nikon Lens designers this because it snapped into focus as I touched the release button. This proves that you musn’t always believe what you read or listen to other people’s theories all the time but rather use them to find out yourself. I’m thrilled because it takes the presssure right off about getting a big prime anytime soon. rather continue with the versatility and IQ of my current setup….even if it is only a piddly dark f6.7…main thing it can AF and trashes the theory of f5.6 as the break off point well with the 200-400 anyway

• Dunegirl
    Participant

Agreed it work very well as long as you stop the lens down to F8 0r F9 . I have been using this quite often these day and get really get sharp images even handheld sometimes. With the new d3 @ d300 we need not worry to much about noise so that will help as well, just crank up the ISO.

• Jola
    Participant

VIVID;78240 wrote:
    …just crank up the ISO.

Only with the D3 – The D300 is not good at high iso.

IMO the D300 is only about 0.75stops better than the D200.

• Missy
    Participant

Jola;78265 wrote:
    Only with the D3 – The D300 is not good at high iso.

IMO the D300 is only about 0.75stops better than the D200.

Of Course that is not correct as the D3/D300 share about 90% of each others innards and sure the D3 has a much higher standard ISO capability the D300 and D3 when out in the market will be the 2 top noise handling cameras available along with a whole bunch of other stuff

• Dunegirl
    Participant

I have read different report on the D300 good ones and bad ones.:( I am hoping that it will be at least one stop better then my D200, that will definitely help. I have to say that the D3 is looking so good.:rolleyes:

• AndreMuller
    Participant

VIVID;78337 wrote:
    I have read different report on the D300 good ones and bad ones.:( I am hoping that it will be at least one stop better then my D200, that will definitely help. I have to say that the D3 is looking so good.:rolleyes:

We will know soon! It is widely accepted that the best raw conversions on Nikons come from CatureNX. Version 1.3 which will be able to read the D300 NEF’s will be available soon. Also not sure the “tests” we’ve seen and heard about was made with a D300 with the “production’ firmware installed.

Even “only” a .75 stop improvement in ISO performance will be awesome. That means that ISO 400 will look like ISO 250 on D200. From images taken and posted by ODP members using the CANON 1DM111 (a camera that CAN handle ISO’s higher than 400), I find it interesting to see that images taken at higher than ISO400 is far and inbetween. (OK, I do not often browse the SPORTS galleries. I you want to shoot sport at night, you might differ from me). But for wildlife I am not sure how often you will have to use ISO’S higher then 640?

The 1.7 converter discussion also raise another often overlooked point. Yes, you can get some reach back on the long lenses by using the 1.7 ,but I believe like VIVID that you then have to stop down for sharpness. To hold shutterspeed you will then have to up the ISO? BUT, what do you win then? (Losing at least one stop ISO automatically to get the reach back).

Awesome as the D3 seems to be, I am still undecided on if I could live without the “crop” factor of the D300. It is just not funny thinking that my 500f4 on D3 will have more or less the same FOV than my 300f4 on D300? Geurt on this said “get nearer’ but OUCH, not always easy?

• Missy
    Participant

kobuspotgieter;78348 wrote:
    Geurt on this said “get nearer’ but OUCH, not always easy?

Agree in Parks like Addo/Kalagadi/Kruger etc it is impossible in a car to get closer to a Lion under a tree 80 metres away…so the answer is use the biggest zoom you can find such as Sigma 170-500, Canon 100-400, Nikon 200-400 the choice is yours and if you still need to shoot MK’s and Vultures in the Berg then get the 500 or 600 prime which in anycase will still probably be too short but you wont have cropping/composing problems of cutting lims of animals off that are close in using a prime as you will be able to Zoom. In situations like a wedding Primes can be an absolute blessing as you generally get fast lenses and here you can zoom with your feet to compose. I have just got the 50mm f1.4 for this very reason…to let all the available light in if I cant use flash

• Jola
    Participant

Peter R Betts;78336 wrote:
    Of Course that is not correct as the D3/D300 share about 90% of each others innards

Probably more like 30%, if that.

And the sensor is a Sony !

• KCLouCorbett
    Participant

Well, here is an idea.

Why not create a zoom tele converter? Then you can use a prime and have zoom capabilities.

• Missy
    Participant

Jola;78365 wrote:
    And the sensor is a Sony !

Who cares as it will still be the top of the heap of any crop camera around

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx