60D or 70D2013-09-20T13:03:55+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR Cameras 60D or 70D

60D or 70D

• Author
    Participant

Some advice please;

Taking into account that I have absolutely no interest in video, is it really worth spending ~R4000 more on the 70D than the 60D? Sold my 50D a while ago, and would like to buy again in the next month or two. I was initially really keen on the 70D and still think that it’s an awesome camera, but the price difference makes me wonder…

• Phillip.Grobler
    Participant

From a photo point of view the 70d is closer to the 7d I would think.
    It’s 2 frames a second faster than the 60d and has a better focus system same or beter than the 7d.

Whether its worth the extra I don’t know if buying new I would think the difference is not big enough to justify

• BrianSA
    Participant

I would not hesitate to choose the 70D over the 60D. As Phillip said, the 70D is very close to the 7D now.

• Grant Atkinson
    Participant

My vote would be for the 70D, better AF performance, functionality and coverage, better image quality, slight resolution advantage, faster frame rate, seemingly better weather-sealing, it is a lot of camera for the money..If any of those non-video differences are important to your style of shooting, then the extra money should be worthwhile.
    Cheers
    Grant

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

70D is pretty much better all the way… Everything Grant said + Better low light + Microadjustment

• Francois Loubser
    Participant

Sean/Grant how will you compare iso 1600 to 3200 on the 70D to the 7D at the same Iso.

• Grant Atkinson
    Participant

Hi Francois, this can be a bit of a tough question to tackle because people have different interpretations and needs when comparing IQ. I have not had extensive experience with the 70D yet, but from the shooting I have done, I would say that raw image quality shows about a half-stop improvement to my eye. I have iso 800 files from the 70D that I am happier with than any iso 800 files from the 7D, with no noise reduction applied. Aside from the slight but real improvement in noise, the 70D files also look a tiny bit sharper to my eye, or at least I am getting more sharp shots a little more often than I did with the 7D. I shoot in natural light, and I mostly shoot moving things, so my need for fast shutter speeds and the use of iso settings from 400 and upwards of 400 is where I typically operate. My interpretation may be different from other shooters who work in different light levels, and use different focal lengths. One also needs to remember that the 70D benefits from a slight resolution advantage….when comparing printed image quality or cropping heavily this will favour the 70d images over the 7D, something which isn’t always clear when comparing pixel-level noise at 100 percent view on a screen.
    Hope that helps
    cheers
    Grant

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

Can’t add more than What Grant has already mentioned, except to say that the 70D is not “Noiseless” BUT it cleans up bloody nicely!

http://www.odpmagazine.co.za/canon-eos-70d-first-impressions/

(Click on the comparative 100% crop on the left)

• Grant Atkinson
    Participant

Hey Sean, nice mini-review that you did there, thanks for the link. I also felt as soon as I started working with some of the 70D files that I have, that this is the best APS-C Canon sensor to date, (which it should be). Of course there is noise, and to date, all APS-C sensors that i have shot, including the D7100 Nikon, show more noise than their full-frame equivalents, which is to be expected, but that noise should be balanced against the fine resolution that these small-pixel sensors can deliver. To shoot at high iso with good results, limit cropping, and use some noise reduction and a raw processing workflow that doesn’t make the noise show up more. In good light, images taken at low iso settings that are well exposed will allow for more cropping without quality loss.
    Cheers
    Grant

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

Agree all the way! That’s a nice sensor!

• Francois Loubser
    Participant

Thanks Sean/Grant. Always looking for a reason to buy a new camera, and with the 7dm2 seemingly in the far distant future, this is looking as if its a good alternative in the meantime.

• Deon RacePics
    Participant

Let me answer with a question …
    When you go out to buy a computer, do you buy the latest tech or peruse the three year old models as they are removed from the shelves?

• Forgiss – Sean Nel
    Participant

good Question… but to be fair… do you buy the new MacBookPro or last years i7 model that is discounted as old stock?

@deon RacePics 284592 wrote:

Let me answer with a question …
    When you go out to buy a computer, do you buy the latest tech or peruse the three year old models as they are removed from the shelves?

• rival
    Participant

Thanks, appreciate all the feedback. Nice “First Impressions” write-up on the 70D Sean. Spent some time reading some more reviews, and besides everyone raving about it, the fact that the 70D is continuously compared to the 7D and not the 60D also speaks for itself I suppose.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx