1.4 and 2x II Externders2007-12-27T07:59:32+02:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment SLR/DSLR Lenses 1.4 and 2x II Externders

1.4 and 2x II Externders

• Author
    Participant

Hi just a quick one, do you lose quality when using a 1.4 or 2x II Extenders (Canon). With lenses like Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM or Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM?

• elsahoffmann

Yes you do. The 2x loses a lot more quality than the 1.4x. Try before you buy and decide if you can live with the loss in quality.

• Anonymous

70-200 2.8 IS L works with both, 1.4x hardly any loss in quality, 2x still very acceptable, in my experience using f8 ish is about optimal setting for best quality with 2x.

I will let others advise on the 100-400, I’m afraid I don’t make any comments on this lens, suffice to say that I now prefer to use a 70-200 2.8 IS L….even with a 2x converter fitted ….. but thats just me hey….. 🙂

John

• Anonymous

I read an article the other day that reckons the 70-200 f4L performs better with the 1.4X than without.
    Was on photozone if I remember correctly.

• elsahoffmann

Your image quality does depend to a large extent how you can handle the extra focal length, lack of autofocus etc. Two 100% crops below with my 100-400 L. Both taken with a 10D on a brick-outhouse tripod (Manfrotto 144B with 329 head) with MLU and cable release, IS switched off.

You be the judge.

• Richard Sloman
    Participant

Thanks for all the info 🙂

• Clonemaster
    Participant

Here’s an interesting DPreview link on the use of BOTH the 1.4x and 2x together. Even with two extenders the IQ is actually surprisingly good. However, one does need to be very steady and shake-free. Obviously, non-L lenses will be more subjected to loss of IQ. 🙂

It is of particular importance to note the sequence of mounting the extenders as the camera only recognises the one connected to the camera – this is important to allow autofocussing. This was highlighted by Mark Thomas in a previous post of his in another thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=26014758&changemode=1

Ken

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx