1/2.3 sensors2012-06-06T14:19:56+00:00

Explore Forums Discussions Camera Equipment Compact Cameras 1/2.3 sensors

1/2.3 sensors

• Author
    Participant

Are all 1/2.3 sensors created equal? In the world of DSLRs there are plenty of cameras at different levels in the market which share the same sensors, differing in other specs – speed, controls etc. Also there are some cameras from different manufacturers which use the same – usually Sony – sensors (Nikon D7000, Pentax K5 and so on).

When we get down into the world of tiny sensors there’s often more differentiation – lens quality and range, manual controls etc. Are some sensors better than others in this world where prices vary by factors of close to 10 between the top and bottom models?

• Andrew Roos
    Participant

I would expect there to be differences between sensors from different manufacturers, both because their design goals may be different (say a sensor with fewer pixels targeting low-light performance vs. one targeting maximum resolution in good light), and because the manufacturing technologies may be different depending on the fabricators being used. However within the same sensor generation I doubt whether there would be as much as a one-stop difference between sensors from different mainstream manufacturers. In other words I think it unlikely that the best 1/2.3″ sensor would be better than the worst 2/3″ sensor of the same generation since the 2/3″ sensor has twice the area, giving it a one-stop advantage over the 1/2.3″ sensor.

• Henk Coetzee
    Participant

All well and good, except that I want to compare apples with apples. I’ve been thinking about a small P&S as a supplement to my normal kit and have been looking at the “travel zoom” class of cameras. These are all the things we warn ourselves against. Huge zoom ranges, tiny sensors, functions hidden in menus etc. etc. What they have going for them is versatility and compactness. Dare I say it, I also quite like the way that compact P&Ss do their thing. What I’m trying to work out is whether there’s any IQ advantage of one over the other or if it’s all down to look, feel, features, price and colour.

• Henk Coetzee
    Participant

Looking for something else, I found this. I suspect that it may answer my question.

• Anonymous
    Participant

Just spent three weeks in the UK testing two combos. A dslr + laptop and my p6000 + iPad. I was impressed enough with the latter that next family vacation I’ll be leaving the heavy stuff at home.

• bomtek

Considering the developments with Sony over the last year I would say there is most certainly a difference!

If you have a look at cnet reviews you will see some huge differences in price – whether thats because of all the add-ons and branding, I’m not sure. Just the senosr size variation would make me think theres a big difference from the old to the new.

Then of course theres the recently launched Sony Cybershot Tx200 at 18mp!
    and not to forget the RX100 which is a 1 inch sensor at 20mp – this would be my choice if I was in the market for a little compact although at $650 its quite pricey :O

• Henk Coetzee
    Participant

@bomtek 265507 wrote:

Considering the developments with Sony over the last year I would say there is most certainly a difference!

This makes a lot of sense. It means that it may well be worthwhile to look at a new model.

@bomtek 265507 wrote:

and not to forget the RX100 which is a 1 inch sensor at 20mp – this would be my choice if I was in the market for a little compact although at $650 its quite pricey :O

The problem with a lot of the large sensor compacts is that they aren’t really that compact, although this does look like a really nice camera.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.Log In

People Who Like Thisx